Cracked Limb Repairable? - Black Panther Hunter

Repair, refinishing, restoration, how-to's, etc.

Cracked Limb Repairable? - Black Panther Hunter

Postby Black Crow » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have been checking out this site for many weeks now and have found a lot of valuable information. Thank you guys for this awesome information. I'm glad that I have joined TradRag ! Here is my problem and was looking for some advise. I recently purchased a Black Panther Hunter on ebay. It mentioned that the limb was twisted and I was ok with that because having read many threads on how to repair a twisted limb and having fixed one already, I was confident that it could be fixed. After unpacking the bow and checking out the twisted limb, I noticed that there was a crack in the limb and someone had tried to glue it. I'm not sure what type of glue was used, but it did not work. Is this something that can be repaired? I have seen some of bowdoc's handy work, but I'm not sure if this bow is repairable. Has anyone had a bow with this issue repaired?

Thanks.
Albert
Attachments
IMG_0777.jpg
Crack
IMG_0773.jpg
More of the crack
IMG_0782.JPG
Some of the lamination is cracked.
Black Crow
Spike Bull

Re: Cracked Limb Repairable? - Black Panther Hunter

Postby Olschool » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:00 pm

I don't think it is fixable.
Get in touch with the seller, if they did not describe the bow accurately you should be able to work something out with them, if you can't return the bow or reach an agreement, if you payed with Paypal file a claim with them.
Olschool
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:07 pm

In a short answer yes, you can glue it using warmed Smooth on 2 part epoxy, would I string it afterwards ..NO the fracture is across the lamination and then hits the glue line.

The bow is an older bow with many stress lineal fractures on the belly glass (white lines in the black glass) Those were caused by the glass being compressed and moving during the draw. I'd return it and get your money back.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Black Crow » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Olschool and Greywolf,

Thank you very much for your responses. I had also sent some pictures to another guy who repairs and refinishes bows. He reviewed the photos and in his opinion said the bow has fatal flaws and cannot be repaired. To him it appeared that someone strung the bow backwards and then tried to shoot it. The crack at the fadeout supports this diagnosis. The twisted limb may also be a result of the above. The long, longitudinal crack (stress crack) going through the decal maybe was caused when trying to shoot the mis-strung bow. He said this is a low-end Bear bow and in good condition not worth more than $60-$90. Unfortunately I purchased a wallhanger. He also said like Greywolf that he would not try to shoot this bow without expecting a loud breaking noise and potential personal injury.

Thanks again for your advice !
Black Crow
Spike Bull

Postby 3darchery » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:29 pm

I had one ebayer put body filler over a cracked limb, and buff the limb to a high sheen on a 1960s Grizzly. I brought him to task on it, and his response though he knew nothing about bows, he thought that was a great fix.

Man they must thing we're morons.
Bottom line, I reported him and got my $200 back.
3darchery
Spike Bull

Return to Restoration and Repair