Late October Buck

Post your trailcam pics here or see what others are catching on film!!
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull
Late October Buck

Post by KsBow » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:52 pm

I had this fellow at 12 yards Friday evening at 5:15 pm. I had a doe hanging and didn't want to have two deer to process one after another. So I passed him up. I know there are bigger ones out there. I may kick myself later, but I don't think so. The doe made it into the CRP and I found her about 30 minutes after the hit. Coyotes were howling all around, so I knew I better get on her in a hurry.
Attachments
Don's Almost Buck.jpg
Don's Almost Buck.jpg (51.77KiB)Viewed 2252 times
2012 Doe.jpg
2012 Doe.jpg (44.21KiB)Viewed 2252 times
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO

Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: Late October Buck

Post by Poggins » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:49 pm

Looks like you are doing a little doe management Ralph, just can't bring myself to shoot my doe behind my house she raises her fawns there every year. I need to go down the road to my other spot and see if the big bucks are moving there in the day.

Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Post by Oklahoma Leatherman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:13 am

Nice doe Ralph. Love the cart too! That way there is no dragging involved ;)

That is a nice buck there. I hope you get one better soon! How long does your bow season go up there? It is good to see the tornado did not totally ruin your honey hole!!

I know what you mean Billy about taking out the doe so close to your house. When I visit my in-laws in Western Oklahoma they have a group of 3 does that always raise their offspring right there around their house. When I hunt out there by their pond/creek my mother-in-law always threatens me if I shoot one of "her" does, so I let them walk. And of coarse that is usually all I see!

We have a group of 3 adult does with 2 fawns visiting our feeder every morning and evening near Binger but I hate to shoot one of them. At least, I'm hoping, that they will attract something with horns soon! If I can pick out the doe that is dry latter in the season I wouldn't mind taking her. Sure would be some good eating! I am ready for some fresh backstrap off the grill.

I've never seen so many days this early in the season with north winds. All my stands are set up for south winds or SW winds. The three times I threw caution to the wind and set in a stand anyway I never saw hide nor hair of a deer. When I got down and walked back to the truck I did however see fresh tracks. Errr.... One of these mornings or evenings I'll catch it where the wind is right. It's getting to be that time for an all day sit.

How is the moon phase effecting you all right now? Work and family life, and the north winds have kept me from going to the woods this past week and a 1/2.

K.C.
K.C. Kreger
SW Rep Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Custom Leathercrafter
www.swingingkdairygoatfarm.com
"Democracy is two wolves and a
lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well armed
lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

stickandlimb
5X5 Bull

Post by stickandlimb » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Nice one Ralph.......I took my selfbow one time and set in a ground blind I made of cedars....a buddy of mine text me and I was texting him back when I heard corn crunching . When I looked up a doe was standing 10 foot from me and saw me look up.....she ran and blowed.. I was mad at myself for having out my phone while hunting but I went ahead and finished my text....when I was through I closed up my phone and seen the doe was back and looking right at me again.......can you get mad at yourself again when your already mad at yourself. It was still light but I got up .....kicked a small tree while mumbling .....got in my truck and went home :oops:
Its all mind over matter..If you don't mind it don't matter.......