Getting back into something I havent done in a long time!!!

A place to show your work. Building quivers, arrows, trade points, possibles bags, powder horns, hunting gear, period clothing, turkey calls, knives, flemish strings, armguards, bullet boards, forged or cast hardware, furniture, hats, etc.

Getting back into something I havent done in a long time!!!

Postby hawkthrower » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:38 pm

I was told to dig out my tools and start up some practice plates then attack a few rifles and hawks.....So I said maybe :?
My daughter made me do it honest :shock: - She was looking at some of my old work like the engraving below and told me it was time I did some more of it.......soooooooo........

photo.JPG

photo(5).JPG

Now to learn how to do some of that beautiful scroll work like that I've enjoyed seeing from Captchee!!
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: Getting back into something I havent done in a long time!!!

Postby FullDraw » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:00 pm

Hooray for your daughter! I'm sure as you get back into and increase your skill you will find your effort very rewarding. I hope Captchee doesn't get the bighead for inspiring your work. :D

Gary
N.E. Representative Oklahoma Selfbow Society (OSS)
Member - Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Member - NWTF - Eastern Oklahoma County Strutters
Life member NRA
U.S. Army - Vietnam Veteran
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, ... Proverbs 1:7a
FullDraw
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:36 am

Capt is inspiring so are a few other folks. I did a good bit of hand engraving when I was much younger - (er um could see to do it with less need for heavy magnification!) But all of the work I did back then was on copper plate for printing - Steel is a challenge! I am also waiting for the supplies to arrive so I am able to do some etching - Both processes I learned long ago and you are right Fulldraw, I need to get back into it - I figure I can reclaim and improve my skills and who knows maybe I can make a living after I retire from the other stuff!? :)
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Frosty the Bowman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:14 am

Man you never cease to amaze me with your skills Hawk, you are a man of many, many talents :77:

Great work and I agree, you will likley not only revive your work but improve on it and learn still more.
I for one would feel lucky to know a guy like you to learn from, wow :77: :77: :77: , I can only imagine all a guy could learn apprenticing with you. I definatly admire all your skill buddy, keep it up :applaud:
Frosty the Bowman
5X5 Bull

Postby FullDraw » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:26 pm

There you go, Hawk. Frosty is eager to learn from a master. I wish you luck on making a living, but passing on an old traditional skill may be more rewarding, on the inside. That's what we strive to do in the OSS, to have that connection to the old skills makes us stronger individuals and collectively, as a society.

Gary
N.E. Representative Oklahoma Selfbow Society (OSS)
Member - Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Member - NWTF - Eastern Oklahoma County Strutters
Life member NRA
U.S. Army - Vietnam Veteran
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, ... Proverbs 1:7a
FullDraw
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:06 pm

Jst wish I could afford one of those cool pneumatic hand pieces that everybody seems to use these days - I learned a different way of doing things.... Man some of the stuff I've been looking at is amazing! I'd need to get really really good really quick if I was going to retire tomorrow and even think of engraving as a new vocation!

For now I'll stick to pushing the burins by hand or with a "tiny tapper" till I can get one of them newfangled tools like Captchee has! Fulldraw - as to that "master" statement - well all I gotta say is I'm a jack of all trades but master of few if any! But thanks for the encouragement..... I'd love to learn more too best way is to help others then everybody gets the OJT! ;)
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to Craftsmanship and Smithing