In need of direction...please chime in :)

A place to show your work. Building quivers, arrows, trade points, possibles bags, powder horns, hunting gear, period clothing, turkey calls, knives, flemish strings, armguards, bullet boards, forged or cast hardware, furniture, hats, etc.

In need of direction...please chime in :)

Postby svaillan2 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:15 pm

Hello everyone. My name is Steve and I'm out in New Mexico. I'm a new member here and this is my first post. I found the site by accident while looking at tipi's. And stumbled across this section.

Anyways just by pure luck I am getting back into traditional archery again. But I have always wanted to build my own bows. Something I've wanted to do since my days of running the woods back home in VA/NC and as a boy scout. So I along with a friend are thinking of going in together and making it happen.

But where to start? Where do you guys get your full size patterns from or those fancy Plexiglas templates? Does someone on here sell them? Also is there a book out there or video that has most all a beginner would need?

I found a website (name with held) that sells a video, , laminates, and all the items for building a form and bow in one set. But was unsure if that would be a good start. But I am leery and not sure if it would be best to go the route of piecing the items I need myself.

Bows I am interested in building are: youth, light draw weight (for wife) and of course bows that medium to heavy in draw weight for small to large game hunting.

Again Hello to everyone and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Steve (svaillan2@yahoo.com)
svaillan2
Spike Bull

Re: In need of direction...please chime in :)

Postby hawkthrower » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:55 pm

Svaillan welcome!

You are in the right place for info on bow making. There are several build-alongs here as well as very knowledgable folks that will be very helpful. And there are some folks that are closer than you think!

If you need a hand or need some info yell (type) and I'll see what I can do. Enjoy the site and again welcome to the circle. :campfire:
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: In need of direction...please chime in :)

Postby Greywolf » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:58 pm

There are a couple of build alongs here in the Bowyers workshop, a couple of recurves, a couple longbows.
There are a couple guys here that will sell you patterns here, I believe they are like free-98 or something like that.

Just figure out recurve or longbow, laminated or self bow left hand or right hand.
Oh... forgot to mention, Welcome to Tradrag, grab a log and set a while.

All ya need to do is ask.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Return to Craftsmanship and Smithing