Apprenticeship?

A place to show your work. Building quivers, arrows, trade points, possibles bags, powder horns, hunting gear, period clothing, turkey calls, knives, flemish strings, armguards, bullet boards, forged or cast hardware, furniture, hats, etc.

Apprenticeship?

Postby hawkthrower » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:46 am

Reading some posts and thinking about a few projects that I've been working on got me thinking this morning (danger danger! ;) )
about all words of wisdom I have received from mentors, and all the stuff I have learned over the years, and where a whole lot (if not most) of that knowledge has come from.......

so I'd like to suggest something for thought and discussion - Apprenticeship

Wikipedia - "Apprenticeship is a system of training a new generation of practitioners of a structured competency a basic set of skills."

I think there may be a way to revise the "traditional" apprenticeship idea and give a hand to some of us who are interested and wanting more than a video or a build-along..... I don't have a clue how this could get put together but hey if we throw ideas out here maybe we could get something going!!! Any interest?
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: Apprenticeship?

Postby Greywolf » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Well, it takes two things, one, some one wanting to learn, second is some one to teach.
I've done it a time or two. last one was a feller that lived up the Island a ways. Was real interested and was excited to build one.
Then I guess life got in the way, one day the phone calls stopped, he and his girlfriend broke up, and never heard form him again.
Even after a few phone calls to get in touch,Notta. Talked with his step Dad... and notta !! yep, it happens from time to time.

But it's like the old saying;
You can drag a horse to water , But you will drown him holding his head in the water to make him drink ! Well ,ok I made that up, you might not have heard it.
But you get the "just" of what I'm saying.

Here is a bow he did for a member here, who agreed to the apprenticeship.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4263&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Apprentice
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby hawkthrower » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:08 pm

That's a great thing you are doing there Greywolf!!!! keep it up when the opportunity is presented.
Your documenting the Apprentice is great! and your build-alongs are fantastic....

I have a few people who stop by from time to time and ask "how do I ......." and off we go. For a long time the Son,Daughters and thier buddies were rabid to soak up stuff....now they are off to other things....life taking other directions...
I have some Guys from work who seem interested too..... but.... It's not like working side by side, for days to complete a project as in your post thread.

That got me thinking about my completion of many, many, pieces of work, and how that experience over time culminated in my perception of mastery (my own perception not other peoples, I was complemented many times before I really accepted that I was master of my craft, I was just doing the job as well as I could)...
I remember my time training, doing the work and gaining facility, understanding, and skill. Learning all the little nuance that makes the result that much better and more beautiful or effective. Then with the knowledge and skill being able to creatively change and improve and embellish..... then after a great deal of time - being able pass the mastery along not just the skills.......

I Know the feeling having made the commitment and taken the time and then having life take other directions......

I was just musing that there perhaps could be something else? maybe? Another kind of apprenticeship (real apprenticeship takes time - alot of time!) I don't know really, but would like to see the wealth of knowledge and associated skills here be put to practice and grown - a guild? - workshop retreat? - a craftsman's rendezvous? donno....
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:20 am

That's what Ojam is lot of good stuff going on there.
One of these days I'm going to make it there.
Maybe I can make a string or 20 my way.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby hawkthrower » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:36 pm

I think I will have to try to make it there sometime - There used to be rendezvous and other events in this area, but lately things seem to have gone dormant - I was thinking of attempting to get some interest in workshops or weekend backyard shoots and maybe a 3D trail on the mountain up behind my place... have had some success, some small interest. but nothing like some of the things I remember from times past.... Just does not seem to be the same kind of interest in some of the "older" ways..... Guess it will have to keep and I'll keep trying..... The rage here seems to be "Cowboy shooting" and "Mounted shooting" mostly with BP cartridge Single action revolvers...... Bows and Flintlocks... not so much.........and as for woodcraft in general...........even less than not much!

sad :cry:
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:51 pm

Yes Sir, I know the feeling. Kinda slow here too not many trad shooters maybe 200 through out all the islands.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Return to Craftsmanship and Smithing