New tab discovery

A place to show your work. Building quivers, arrows, trade points, possibles bags, powder horns, hunting gear, period clothing, turkey calls, knives, flemish strings, armguards, bullet boards, forged or cast hardware, furniture, hats, etc.

New tab discovery

Postby Greywolf » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:43 pm

I've been a glove guy for....... well as long as I've been shooting a bow with fingers. The other day (up to 6 months ago) I seemed to have misplaced my glove when we got the the range. I ask my shooting friend if he has a extra anything.. as not to mess up the shooting day. Or it was going to be a sore day shooting bare fingers.
He said all he had was a extra med size tab. Well, guess it's better than nothing...maybe? so with a little work, I got the finger in the way too small of a hole in the tab. but it felt pretty good for a med size.

About half way through the round I noticed a couple things, #1 I was shooting really well (that could be the day,the sun was up or just because) and #2 was I could feel everything better. I could feel the string, the bare finger on the K-9 tooth. it was nice. Ok fast forward to this past weekend, I have some stuff left over from the archery shop, so I was rummaging around on the all the stuff still hangin on the wall and found a single piece of leather med tab.
Hmmm, this got me to wondering (don't take much these days) So I did some trimming to enlarge the hole, and slid it on I cut out that little hanging chad piece where the arrow goes too.

I grabbed 4 wooden arrows and the "pit viper", Oh did I tell ya how great the bow shoots woodies, man it's the..... ok wait... let the finish the other first. Where was I? Oh yeah... I stepped out back nocked an arrow and seated my tab on the serving, I noticed how it kinda gathered up at the nock.. so I took the arrow off hung the bow on the peg and went in the cave, I grabbed the scissors and made a larger hole and one small relief cut for the nock to clear better and headed back outside.
I nocked the arrow and again got "Set" on the serving, it felt 100% better. I looked at the small hole in the 3 x 3 card board and in one fluid motion drew, found my anchor point, let my self settle down and relaxed my fingers.

It sure was pure joy to watch the "Mystical flight of the arrow" Ted Nugent as it hit dead center of the hole I was staring at. I smiled and said "Well it don't get any better than that."

After all a great man once said "Ya never get a second chance, to make a first good shot" Ok maybe...... he's not that great but it was said ! With that,I retrieved my arrow and I walked back into the cave. It was a great day of shooting. One shot quick clean kill.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: New tab discovery

Postby eddie c » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:59 am

I shot a tab from the very beginning, 3 under. it's how I was taught. I hadnt been able to find a glove I liked or could shoot with decent. on my last trip to Texas, Olschool handed me a glove to try. my groups tighten up considerably. now I'm afraid to let it out of my sight. :lol: now my tab is my backup and bowfishing tab.
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:35 pm

A customer/friend shared these two patterns with me last fall. I have a PDF file I can email anyone that wants it. If anyone is interested in making their own I have had good luck with kangaroo, thin veg tan cowhide and thin calf skin. Of course cordovan (horse hide) is the best thing, but it is quiet expensive and hard to come by.

K.C. Kreger
SW Rep Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Custom Leathercrafter
www.swingingkdairygoatfarm.com
"Democracy is two wolves and a
lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well armed
lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Greywolf » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Mine looks like the one on the left, because I shoot Telephone poles for arrows :rolf: I trimmed the groove a little wider and make the bottom of the "U" bigger for fit the nock.

I like the single piece, it's a nice good 1/8 th inch thick easy. Maybe little more than that. I'm not for sure of the Oz size, but it's a 15 yr old Martin archery tab.
Maybe tomorrow I can get Sneakon(Carl from Colorado) over to the ranch and see if he can see some hogs in person, he said he was hiking and found all sorts of pig sign in the mountains,
Maybe I can get him on a real track maker? We shall see. I sent him a text... the wind has died down and now it's raining, so tomorrow should be a good day.

From the Gathering Island I bid you Aloha
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby KsBow » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:23 am

I shoot three under and have been making my own tabs for 20 plus years. No slit at all, just for three under and I always have about a couple of dozen laying around. Some how, I manage to loose them, especially when it's cold enough to be taking gloves on or off. Heck, it might be a senior thing. :rolf:
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby Olschool » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:56 am

I don't remember if I started with tab or glove ( got that senior thing going on and it was a LONG time ago) but as far back as I can remember I've shot glove. That being said, I have played around with tabs off and on and 2yrs ago started feeling the cold more in my fingers and went through lots of insulated hunting gloves trying different things. I have a few with the fingers cut off so my shooting glove can be worn under them. Have some mittens from Cabela's that the finger end folds back leaving fingers out, and found a Black Widow tab that has an ajustable finger loop on the back that I used over a pair of Under Armor heat gear gloves. Even found a nice warm pair of gauntlet gloves with leather palm and fingers that I can shoot with. But now unless I plan on doing a lot of shooting (like more than 40 shots) I have been useing bare fingers. I cut the fingers off the UA heat gear glove and keep my hand in my pocket, or pull one of the mittens that the finger area folds back on over it for stalking. I just like the feel of the string and anchor with bare fingers ( and so far have never forgot or lost them :lol: :roll: )
Olschool
5X5 Bull

Postby stickandlimb » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:41 am

I started out with a Koplin calf hair glove..........than tried a tab.........the tab was OK but I hated the fact that you had to flip it back over in your hand when you were getting ready to shoot . If you picked up something with your hand it got in the way........also when it was cold it was hard to get it to set right with a glove on. I cut out the first 3 fingers on a glove and my calf hair glove would fit great . I could see if you were just shooting targets the tab might be good.....although I cant find Koplin gloves anymore...I ordered 10 calf hair gloves from a different company years ago ......they are so slick you better be ready when you pull back are you will shoot premature ......no plucking of the string.... :archer:
Its all mind over matter..If you don't mind it don't matter.......
stickandlimb
5X5 Bull

Return to Craftsmanship and Smithing