Bolt on quiver - Build a long

A place to show your work. Building quivers, arrows, trade points, possibles bags, powder horns, hunting gear, period clothing, turkey calls, knives, flemish strings, armguards, bullet boards, forged or cast hardware, furniture, hats, etc.

Bolt on quiver - Build a long

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:33 pm

Would anyone be interested in a build a long for a bolt on quiver? I have to give credit to a good friend, Randy Evans, for sharing the pattern with me and telling me how to construct my own hooded quivers.

If there is enough interest I'll start uploading the pictures and do my best at writing out the step by step instructions. I've never done a build a long, but I have read and followed quite a few!

My plan is to have a few of these available at Ojam next month. :dance: Get your orders in early or plan to pick up the supplies to build your own while you are there. Either way I look forward to visiting and seeing everyone out there!

Let me know if you are interested. To be continued....
Last edited by Oklahoma Leatherman on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K.C. Kreger
SW Rep Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Custom Leathercrafter
www.swingingkdairygoatfarm.com
"Democracy is two wolves and a
lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well armed
lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Re: Bolt on quiver - Build a long

Postby Greywolf » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:35 pm

Oh Sure !! you let me see this one HUH !!!

Looks like a good build a long ! bring it on !!
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:44 pm

Got to get extra sales anyway I can! Here is another picture of the hood. I am not happy with the way it is crimped at the top. That is why I took it apart and thought to myself, "self why don't we show the good folks on TradRag how to build their own?".

K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby TradRag » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:09 pm

I love build-a-longs!!! Lets see it. :dance:
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Like any good project we have to have a pattern and an idea of how we want it to look when done. Here is a picture of the pattern and hardware we need to start off with. I used 4-5 oz tooling leather for my hood. For the metal hardware I cut a 1" strip off a piece of aluminum I had in the garage. In hind sight I will be using brass from now on as the aluminum is awfully thin.

The brass hardware in this picture is the set Randy gave me to use. I am using these as a pattern. Like I said I'll be using brass or something a little heavier than the thin metal I found in my shop from now on.

Last edited by Oklahoma Leatherman on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:35 pm

I think the reason my first attempt at a hood was crimped at the top was I did not take time to make a wooden form to, well form the leather over while it was stitched up. First off I took a foam hood and traced around it on a 2x4 I found sitting around.

As you can tell by my drawing (I latter discovered) one side was not the right shape. So to remedy this I cut a piece of 7 oz veg tanned leather and used Barge Cement to adhere it to the spot that was too flat.

After I let the Barge set up and had the leather glued to the wooden form, I took a sharp knife and skived the edges to create a smooth transition to the wooden form.

Much better. Now if I could just find my pencil.......
K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Greywolf » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Hmmm, this is giving me an idea

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:58 am

Now where were we, oh yea, looking for a pencil. The next step after getting the wooden form made was to cut out the leather, tool it or leave it plain (your choice) and then stain and finish it. Latter, when I get to the metal hardware, you'll see how I stained the leather . To save time, and since I already had one hood cover tooled and stained/finished, I am not taking time to cover "how to tool and stain/finish".

So let's fast forward to the part where we punch the stitching holes. I use a pair of wing dividers to first scribe a light line on both sides to be stitched 1/4" in from the edge and then adjust the wing dividers to approximately 3/16" and leave a mark where I need to punch a hole for the lacing.

This step is very important! I know I am rambling on about it but track with me for just a few more minutes then we'll get on with building the hood. Study the picture good - especially if you are new to doing your own leather work. On the left side of the hood to be punched you'll see where I have placed my wing dividers. I have marked the holes to be punch at the top of both sides and then at the bottom of both sides.

I do this so that the spacing on the holes works out so that the tops and bottoms of my hood come out aligned with each other. If I have to fudge a little in the middle of the hood it is not as noticeable as if it did not come out at the top or bottom.

You may also notice that he hood that is stamped with "Ojam" looks like it is wet. That is because it is. I took the tooled leather and dunked it in my water bin and then placed it in a ziplock bag so that it could be sweating or the correct term leather workers use it so that it could be cased properly. By casing the leather properly it will allow the leather to stretch or form better then if we did it while the leather is dry.

One last thing I always do out of habit is to count the holes as I mark them and then again as I punch them. I make sure there are the same number of holes going down each side of the hood. This is a simple step that is often over looked by a novice. Okay in reality I had to learn the hard way too! :oops:
K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:12 am

Hmm, wonder what Greywolf is up to. Maybe we need to keep him from seeing the rest of this. :shock: Maybe he knows where my pencil is!

Okay let's get on with the stitching. This will be a little heavy on pictures but if anyone else is like me you'll benefit from the extra pictures. I'll do my best to describe the steps but I think in this case the pictures will do more justice then my words can.

For the stitching I like to use the braided artificial sinew that Tandy Leather sells. If you have the real stuff by all means use it. I'm a huge fan of using what you have on hand so if you have any kind of waxed thread or the regular artificial sinew, that will work fine too. We'll also need two large eye needles.

Cut off 1 yard of thread or cord and place a needle at both ends of the thread. We are going to do a cross over stitch using a needle in our left and right hand at the same time. It'll be okay Greywolf, this step goes real fast once you get the hang of it. 8-)

K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:08 am

Now take the needle that is on the left side and cross over to the next hole down on the right side. Go down through that hole and then straight across and up through the hole on the left side opposite that hole on the right side. Next take the right hand needle and do the same thing except go over and down through the next hole on the left side and straight across and up through the hole on the right side.

Now take a deep breath and slowly let it out. Repeat. Here is what it will look like once you get this step done:

The next picture I'll show you exactly how to do what I described above. It'll make a lot more sense once you read through and look at all the steps involved in the stitching.
K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:15 am

As you'll see below I am starting with my left hand needle, crossing over to the next hole down on the right side and then taking that needle and coming back up through the hole on the left side. This keeps the left hand needle on the left side.

Repeat with the needle on the right except cross over to the next hole down on the left side and come back up through the hole on the right side like this:

See I told you it would make a lot more sense once you studied the pictures. Now get busy and cut out your own hood, get it tooled, stained/finished, and punched so you can stitch it up along with me!
K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:21 am

It's almost time to head off to work but just so I don't leave anyone hanging once you get the stitching done on one side it should look something like this:

Take the needles that are at the top of the quiver now and go down through the holes opposite each other and come up through the inside of the hood. This is what it looks like on the inside:

Now tie off the threads with a couple over hand knots, trim off the excess thread and burn the ends together with a lighter. Next we'll do the same thing on the other side.
K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Greywolf » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:05 pm

I like that stitching, That's the "baseball stitch"? and NO, I don't have your pencil :rolf:

On the top picture, I see a line, then the hole marks, is that line just a mark or is it gouged ?

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:46 pm

The baseball stitch is similar but a little different. I actually like both but chose to do the cross whip stitch on this one. Let's see on the top picture is that were I marked the metal with my PENCIL that I can not find? The picture where I have a ruler setting there to show 1" width on the aluminum? Oh, sorry just read your post again.

On the leather hood I just scribe a light line so I can keep my holes straight in a line. I actually made it quite heavy so it would show up on the picture. I normally do not scribe the line too deep in the leather. I'm home from work but have a few knife sheaths to get knocked out before I can set down and upload any more pictures.

Hope others are following along. Glad you are inspired Greywolf. Now, where did I leave that pencil.......
K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:13 pm

Now that we have the stitching done on both sides and we've tied off and melted the ends of thread it is time to take a smooth antler tip or piece of smooth wood ground down to a point like the antler tip I have in the photo above and burnish the stitching or smooth it out. After I had both sides stitched I also had to tighten the stitching a wee bit to get the seam to come out nice and smooth. Just use a pointed object to tighten, or loosen if need be, and burnish with the "slicker" of your choice.

Then the reason we've been doing this with cased leather is so we can take our burnisher and shape the quiver hood both inside and out. After doing the outside of the quiver it should look something like this:

Then take the antler tip and shape it on the inside of the hood like this:

While the leather is damp get it in the shape you like. I had to put the wooden form back inside and burnish it one last time before I was happy with the final shape. That is when I discovered I had forgotten something kinda important to put on our form! ;)

I forgot to take a picture of it, but the special item I forgot........
. wait for it....

An eye bolt to pull the wood out of the leather. Da, ya think! Thankfully my wife had just grabbed a package so there was some handy. Okay so she doesn't realize they were as handy as they were but I'll deal with that latter. :D
K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:37 pm

After I let the leather dry around the form and FINALLY had my wooden form pulled out it was time to cover the metal pieces. Notice the nice lines that were burnished into the leather while it was still on the form. Don't get in a hurry to pull the leather off the form. I used my hot box to get the leather dry, but don't overdue it on the heat. Low heat with plenty of air flowing through will allow the leather to retain the shape.

Something I should have mentioned earlier, :roll: , I did mention that I had not done this before right, is that I am using and recommending a vegetable tanned leather. That is also known as a tooling leather. Chrome tanned leather and even rawhide can be used but will require more work to shape it and you'll need to watch the moisture content of the rawhide to make sure it is not too wet or spongy when lacing it up. And both of these last two mentioned do not retain the tooling like Veg Tan leather.

Next step is to cut pieces of leather, stain them, glue them and punch/lace them up over the hardware. That will have to wait for tomorrow. But just to keep everyone going let's fast forward to a picture of the finished product! Oh wait does that break a build a long internet rule or something? I'd better wait and let Greywolf answer that... or not!

We are almost done! Yea you made it, okay you almost made it. And someone was starting to wonder if this would ever end! More to come tomorrow....
K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:43 am

I'll get the dimensions of each piece of hardware in a future post, sorry I didn't think of that before today, but I wanted to show you how I covered that metal to make it look better and to match the quiver hood. I have a piece of metal that is 1" wide so I cut my leather strip 1-1/2" wide to allow me to have room to punch holes with the same size punch I used on the hood.

After cutting a strip 1-1/2" wide off some 2-3 oz veg tanned leather, I used some of Tandy Leather's All-in-One stain to add the color and finish to the grain side.

K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Greywolf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:04 pm

Are those tools available from you and your store? Like the wooden leather cutter..That's pretty slick :77:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:03 am

Yes sir Tandy Leather has that wooden "Strap Cutter" and much more. In fact all the tools I am using for this build a long came from my store at one time or another. For those that don't know, I have been employed with Tandy for over 23 years now.

While they had closed all their stores nation wide my wife and I started up our own leather craft company and ran it for a about 2 years before they bought me out and we began rebuilding the company. If anyone is interested in a catalog or checking out what Tandy has to offer they can visit: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com

More on the build a long to come. But first a customer brought me about 50 knife sheaths to get sewn up for him. And I designed a new belt sheath for a slate turkey call which also has room for 2 strikers. I'll try to get a picture of it uploaded this evening. I have a friend that owns a turkey call business and for a new call and a couple of strikers I told him I would come up with a sheath that he could offer for sale at hunting shows. All the sudden I am busier than a one armed wood chopper!
K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Greywolf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:33 am

I remember when they offered Kits to make thinks like wallets belts,hatbands, knife sheaths those were the days when ya did you own stuff, and things with the family.

Went to breakfast yesterday, saw a guy and a girl sitting in a booth waiting on breakfast, both never said a word, they were busy texting on the phones.
When I stood up to leave he looked at me and I said, You'd do better to talk to that pretty lady sitting right there before someone else does, She looked up and smiled as I left.

What happened to doing things as a family?

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby hawkthrower » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Nice build-a-long ! Like the project......... I'm still waiting for the 3" cinch blanks to start on my next gunbelt...... seems they are hard to come by for some reason.....I forgot to talk about casing the leather in my last build - OOPs :oops: ......... Major nice job! Oh yeah - I almost forgot I think I have a pencil for ya - Oh darn where did it go? ok well maybe not! :)
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:54 pm

Waiting to see how you do the leather on and around the metal for attaching the strap to the quiver.

I'm liking this a lot

Heheheheh, I know where his pencil is LOL SSShhhhhhhh

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Frosty the Bowman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:34 am

K.C man oh mam, that is some piece of work my freind :77:

You are a very talented soul, I admire your skill more and more, the more I see. :applaud:

Please show us more, maybe a dumb question, what kinda arrow points/ heads is this gionna be made to hold, feild points or broadheads?

Greywolf, this generation does not understand how to communicate like we did brother. In my busniess class the teacher suggests writiting a hand written note to your customers, someone asked something about emial, they did not put a connection together that you can actually write on paper with those things attached at the ends of your wrists :shock: Writting is a lost art, so is communication I am affraid, now you want to have aconversation with your teeen, you just about have to play online with them on some stupid game, ugh!
Frosty the Bowman
5X5 Bull

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Sorry guys I am swamped with custom orders and will have to wait until Sunday to get more posted. IF I can sit long enough today I will try to upload some more instructions and pictures, but that is not likely. There is a huge hunting and fishing show coming up and two different customers of mine have overwhelmed me with items to make for them.

Plus I have items I need to finish so that I'll have them to offer at Ojam in a month from now. Not only am I having trouble finding my pencil, but finding time to work, and get these custom orders done is about to drive me nutzo!

I'll get the hardware measured and show how I cover the metal ASAP, promise. ;)
K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:47 pm

Okay so I got some things crossed off my to-do list and am able to squeeze a minute or two in while I catch up on the news. I measured the metal and a have a few pictures to hopefully illustrate how to make your own brackets. The top bracket is 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" and is bent at a 90 degree angle. The bottom bracket is 4-7/8" x 2-1/2" and is bent at a slight angle.

If you use a mild steel or brass that is not too thick it is easy to bend the angle in to the metal either before or after it is covered with leather. I chose to bend the metal prior to covering it. The limb bolt hole is 5/8" in from the end on both pieces.

K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:49 pm

In this picture I am hopeful it will show the angle to bend the bottom or gripper part of the bracket:

K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:53 pm

On the top bracket you'll need to drill holes 1-7/8" apart, mark the back side of the leather hood and punch holes in the leather. Using locking nylon nuts and short bolts and washers the hood and short bracket will be attached after the bracket is covered with leather.

K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Once the brackets are drilled and the 1-1/2" leather straps are stained and finished apply Barge cement to the bracket and flesh (ruff side) of the leather. Allow the cement to cure or set up and then carefully align the metal down the center of the leather.

After I glued down one side of the bracket and before I turned the leather over to come back over the other side of the metal bracket I punch the mounting holes in that one side of the leather. Then once I had the leather glued all the way around the metal I punched the other side of the hole which made it go all the way through both sides of the leather and through the metal bracket for the short bolts to go through.

I then took my wing dividers and marked the stitching the way I had on the hood; same spacing, same sized holes. Then stitch it with the same double cross stitch. See above for the stitching instructions.

K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:52 am

I have to work all day so tomorrow or soon anyway we'll do the bottom bracket that holds the gripper. After that we are done! Out of curiosity how many of you are following along? :campfire:
Last edited by Oklahoma Leatherman on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K.C. Kreger
Custom Leathercrafter
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby zeek from coon creek » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:04 pm

I am following along with great interest. I haven't gathered up the necessary materials to build a quiver. I need to replenish my leather supply; all I have left are scraps far too small to make this. I am enjoying the instruction in leather crafting. I saw on another thread where you mentioned the possibility of a build along for a possibles bag. Please do! My leather work is pretty lack luster. I've made several knife sheaths over the years and while all were perfectly functional I've never been pleased with the appearance. I do have a question regarding the quiver project. Where do you get the gripper for the lower assembly? Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Next

Return to Craftsmanship and Smithing