Venison Canadian Bacon

Game Processing Information and How-To's

Venison Canadian Bacon

Postby rancid crabtree » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:49 pm

I make this with deer loin just like it is made from pork loin.

If you don't want to give up a loin, any roast seperated from the hind quarter will work.
I make a brine using:
5 quarts of ice cold water
6 Oz. white or brown sugar
2 Oz. insta cure (it is also called prague powder #1 or speed cure)
8 Oz. of salt.

That's it. Trim your meat very lean and soak it in the brine for 6 days in the fridge.(you gotta plan ahead) Remove from brine and rinse. Place meat in smoker pre-heated to 130F with the damper wide open. Hold at this temp for 4 hours without smoke, Turn the temp up to 150F and close the damper to half open add wood chips for a moderate smoke and hold for 3 more hours. increase temp to 160 and close dampers. Hold meat at this temp until the internal temp of the venison is 155F. Remove from smoker and run under cold tap water until the internal temp is 100F. Pat dry with paper towel and refig. overnight. I like it fried with eggs but it is good cold on a sandwich. You can see from the pic it is much darker than pork that I smoked at the same time but it has the same sweet flavor. Enjoy.

Fry it up with some fatty bacon and enjoy.
http://innovativeoutdoorsmanllc.com
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
rancid crabtree
4X4 Bull

Re: Venison Canadian Bacon

Postby Jared » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:18 pm

Hey Rancid,

You are the tutorial master, I've followed your stuff for awhile on this and other forums and want to give you a big thanks. I think we also share a passion for the eating end of this whole outdoors life.

Couple questions......I've brined and smoked venison roasts before, but never that long, maybe 24 hrs. What advantage does the 6 days in the bath give you? This stuff would clearly still need refrigeration etc, correct? Generally if I do a pound or two, it doesn't last long enough to worry about anyway :D , just curious. I've never attempted any curing that wouldn't require refrigeration, from what I've read, it sounds like its a whole other set of skills.

Thanks again for your contributions.

Jared
Jared
Spike Bull

Re: Venison Canadian Bacon

Postby robert n leeper » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:53 pm

ive got my smoker out of storage ...looks like we gonna have some fun now
Joseph had a coat of many colors, mine are green brown tan and gray
member: Team hornaday
depthcharge559@gmail.com
powderkeg@blogger.com
robert n leeper