Canning venison

Game Processing Information and How-To's

Canning venison

Postby rancid crabtree » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:48 pm

If you can boil water. You can can deer meat. I cut the deer into cubes about 1 1/2 inches square but it doesn't really matter what the shape is. I then pack the raw meat into pint jars and press the meat down tight.

I sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of salt onto the meat and place the lid and ring on the jar

a lot of WI is around 1100 feet above sea level so I pressure cook mine at 15 psi If you are under 1000 feet above sea level you can use 10 psi. I cook it for 75 minutes.

I then remove the canning kettle from the heat and let it sit for five min. I then run it under cold water until the pressure is normalized. That's it.

Canned meat has a long shelf life and requires no freezing. It is a good way to use an old tough deer as pressure cooking tenderizes the meat. It tastes great. I add a couple of cans of meat to a pot of gravy and fork it apart and then serve it over potatoes or rice or noodles. If you want to flavor the meat. You can add BBQ sauce to the can before pressure cooking.
http://innovativeoutdoorsmanllc.com
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
rancid crabtree
4X4 Bull

Re: Canning venison

Postby Jared » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:21 pm

My wife and I love canned vennison. Can use it for anything, its tender, its great for fast meals (no cooking, just heat it up), it doesn't take up freezer space. I recommend it for tacos in place of ground meat, or bbq sandwiches. You can get home from work and be eating in 5min.

My only quick tip to add would be, make sure you wipe those jar rims before you put the lids/rings on to ensure a good seal. They tend to get messy during packing.
Jared
Spike Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:16 pm

Great thread. Canned venison is the best way to preserve meat for a fast and very tasty meal.

Just canned 10 pints this afternoon using 1 teaspoon of Au Jus Base rather than salt. Jars didn't quite get down to room temperature before the first one was opened and nearly finished off...

Shelf life may be a couple of years, but it never lasts that long.... because it's so good, it's always eaten well before then.

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby jrmflintlock » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:38 pm

I'm at 8500 feet any suggestions as far as psi ??

I would love to try it..
jrmflintlock
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:33 pm

jrmflintlock wrote:I'm at 8500 feet any suggestions as far as psi ??

I would love to try it..

at 8500 it takes 15 psi to reach the 240 deg it requires, cooking time is bout the same as 2000
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby WinterHawk » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Friends of mine in Alaska used to bag five or six deer every year out on Prince of Wales island. She would can it as soon as he got it down to the boat. Living without power made this or drying the meat the only way to preserve it.

~WH~
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Return to Game Processing