Has anyone had problems with epoxy?

Dedicated to the Bowyer and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

Has anyone had problems with epoxy?

Postby rdahunter » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:15 am

I have used smooth on epoxy with good success but wanted something a little less viscous to make application a bit easier. I called Bingham projects and they recommended Versamid D.E.R 383. I built a bow with it and it worked just fine, application was a breeze since it is thinner.
So moving on to the next bow, It has been raining here in SC nonstop for a few days and humidity is high but I work in an insulated shop so no worries. Ive built things with epoxy in the past under the same conditions and had no issues, I decide to go ahead with the bow. The lay up went great, put the bow in the oven and turned the oven off 4.5 hours later and let it cool for another 6 hours. I pull the bow out of the press and realize its somewhat cured but still sticky. First thoughts were humidity is slowing cure time so I put it back in the oven and let it bake till the next afternoon, an additional 15 hours or so. When I pulled it out it had cured more but was still somewhat tacky and any big droplets of epoxy were a little pliable. Questions I have are-
Has anyone ever had this happen?
Will it ever cure completely?
Is the humidity the issue?
Is it possible that the moisture content of the lams was too high?(I did cook them for an hour or so prior to layup)
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
rdahunter
Spike Bull

Re: Has anyone had problems with epoxy?

Postby stickandlimb » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:39 am

Sorry..... I wish I could help but some pictures would maybe show me what I'm not getting.........I would like to see your bow and the type of epoxy you used.......Greywoof would be the one to ask...look for him here and send him a P.M.
Its all mind over matter..If you don't mind it don't matter.......
stickandlimb
5X5 Bull

Return to The Bowyers Workbench