1 1/2 0r 1 3/4 laminate width

Dedicated to the Bowyer and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

1 1/2 0r 1 3/4 laminate width

Postby rdahunter » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:47 pm

So I have built a couple bows now, and have become addicted. I am confused though! The catolog says that 1 1/2" laminate width is for long bows and 1 3/4 is for recurve bows. The few recurve bows that I have built have been with 1 1/2" width laminates. I have had pretty good success and am getting bows that start at 55-65 pounds of draw before tiller. The only one that I measured the speed of after tiller shot at 179 fps (with Gold tip carbon, 340 spine, full length, four inch fletching, and 125 grain field points). I feel that is good enough performance for me.
Am I missing the point? Is there a reason everyone else for years has used 1 3/4" width that I am not aware of? I can see where using the wider lams I could get a bigger sight window or more beef in the riser, but the handles fit my hand and I can see out to 40 yards just fine. I wont take a shot on an animal at more than 30 yards so I practice at a max of 40 yards. I don't think I need a bigger sight window but I may be wrong. Will the arrow hit harder with a wider limb? Physics says that 50 lbs of stored energy is 50 lbs of stored energy and the only factor in how fast it releases is the mass of the limb or arrow. Less mass in the limb equals faster projectile, right? I don't know I am just a beginner, If someone can explain this answer to me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
rdahunter
Spike Bull

Re: 1 1/2 0r 1 3/4 laminate width

Postby Wolftrail » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:15 pm

I'm no expert been doing this for over 3 years, but they say you will have less chance of limb twist with a wider limb.
I use mostly 1 1/2" for limbs and sometimes actually start with 1 1/2" and finish at 1 3/8". As far as a bigger sight window , that is still achievable using 1 1/2" limbs you simply taper the riser pads or handle. Easy weezzy. :) I built one bow at a full 1 3/4" it broke, long story but I stressed it out to much in one area.

PS. I build all wood bows.
Wolftrail
Spike Bull

Postby rdahunter » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Thanks Wolftrail! I feel like what your saying is," if it aint broke don't fix it!", right? I'm good with that, I really didn't want to get into building a new form and figuring out new laminate thickness with the same design. I do want to try some other designs though. I think the next design for me will be a longbow, and maybe Ill make it short with 2" limb widths just for fun (kidding). It really will be short though, I want to make one for my daughters fourth birthday. She has been shooting since 1 1/2 years old and loves to get out her bow and shoot with Daddy, for me there is nothing better.
rdahunter
Spike Bull

Postby Wolftrail » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:51 pm

" if it aint broke don't fix it!", I go by my own intuition. Almost every bow I have built so far has been a learning curve and experiment. I think my fave to date is an R/D design or a 3 piece bow. I find them to be smooth drawing and good shooting bows.
Wolftrail
Spike Bull

Return to The Bowyers Workbench