Help choosing wood for selfbow

Dedicated to the Bowyer and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

Help choosing wood for selfbow

Postby DrawALeterfly » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:29 pm

I have decided to try my hand at selfbows. I would like to use osage orange. My parents live in SW Okla. where several trees have died during the recent drought. Will it be ok to use a tree that has died or do I need to cut one that is alive?
DrawALeterfly
Spike Bull

Re: Help choosing wood for selfbow

Postby McClura » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:11 pm

You would be taking a chance of the wood would have worms or drying /checking cracks after getting the sap wood off. If it were me, I would try to find a good osage tree that is living and cut it, split it and start it on the drying process. Then, I would try one of the dead pieces. Myself and some others have made bows from fence post that have been in the ground from a few years to close to 100 years. You can sometimes work around the drying cracks and worm holes if it has some.
I found a couple of trees that looked like they had died around Fairview near Enid but when I got into them they had good heart wood. I have also cut some around Fredrick, Gotebo and Roosevelt with good luck.
Good luck. If you get the wood into a stave shape and start on the sap wood. Take some photos and post as you work and lets us see the progress. If you run into any snags, someone on here can help you because they have probably run into that problem you are having.
Mike
Oklahoma Selbow Society Charter Member
Member at Large-Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member-Kansas Bowhunting Association
Life Member-National Muzzleloading Rifle Association
You don't quit playing when you get old, you get old when you quit playing!
McClura
5X5 Bull

Postby DrawALeterfly » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:04 pm

Thanks Mike,
I didn't want to cut a live tree if a dead would work just as well. I will cut one of each and keep you posted as to how it goes. I'm sure I will have more questions. I will probably cut several of the dead ones and see what I come up with.

Thanks again
Darren
DrawALeterfly
Spike Bull

Postby fattony77 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:17 pm

Darren,
It's good to see you on here! I can't help with your questions, but you definitely came to the right place to ask. I have seen first hand the work that a lot of these guys do and they're great. Mike is even a good guy, and a pretty good huntin' buddy, to boot. These OSS guys definitely know their stuff!
-Tony
fattony77
Spike Bull

Postby DrawALeterfly » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:44 pm

Hey Tony,
Didn't see you at the Southern Plains Trad shoot. A bit further to travel to El Reno. My parents live a little farther west of El Reno so I spent a few days with them and attended the shoot. Watched some of the selfbow shooters on Sunday-visited with a few and decided to get started on one of my own. Mr. Alex Pugh told me this was the place to come for any questions I had along the way. Good to hear from you and thanks for the welcome.
Darren
DrawALeterfly
Spike Bull

Return to The Bowyers Workbench