Tillering

Dedicated to the Bowyer and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

Tillering

Postby rdahunter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:08 pm

I finally have had some time home from work and started my latest attempt at making a laminated re-curve bow. So far everything is well, I was able to pull the bow out of the heat box today at lunch time and begin the wonderful task of sanding off the excess epoxy. So, after doing that and borrowing an electric fish scale from a friend, I found that the bow is "a bit" stiff. It draws 50 lb at 14 inches, but each limb seems to bend as a mirror image of the other. I'm thinking, since the limbs bend uniformly, one way to tiller to the same weight with a longer draw is to simply plane a little from each side; Or, I could taper from the riser fade out to the tip. Is there anyone with advice as to which method is best? Another question I have- Should I cut the window and handle out of the riser prior to tiller or wait till after?
bowpress.jpg
bowpress.jpg
Attachments
photo.JPG
rdahunter
Spike Bull

Re: Tillering

Postby PrimitiveOne » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:34 am

Reverse handle, reflex/deflex and recurved.... that is a lot to deal with for tillering. I can only say remove as little as possible from the sides and keep a close eye on the arc and center-line.
PrimitiveOne
Spike Bull

Return to The Bowyers Workbench