Anybody Else Ever Had This Happen?

Dedicated to the Bowyer and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

Anybody Else Ever Had This Happen?

Postby KsBow » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:00 pm

I've been completing a snakey Osage selfbow. I had it tillered and shot 25 or 30 arrows out of it. So I proceed to put a rat snake skin on the bow. Used tite bond wood glue. Miss Di helped and we got er done. It sat a day, I then filed the edges to remove excess skin, cleaned up the sides of the limbs, and removed the scales. I then used some finish and superglue to get the skin nice and smooth.
I was happy with where it was at and so I string it up, this is three days after skinning the bow. What to my amazement happened to my tiller. The top limb went from 1/4 inch positive to 3/4 inch positive. I pulled and pulled hoping it would equalize. Nope, not to be. So some wood came off the belly to bring the tiller back. Restained and refinished the bottom limb.
Just wondering, What's your theory of such an event :campfire:
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Re: Anybody Else Ever Had This Happen?

Postby Jumpster » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:07 pm

If all you're hoping for is a theory or two, I have a couple for you to contemplate: keep in mind, they are just theories of a beginner bowyer expressing my first thoughts while reading what you were describing...

1) My first theory is that while you were applying the backing (snake skin) you may have been stretching the lower limb tighter than the upper limb. A tighter backing, once the glue dries, seems like it would restrain the limb more than the other limb's looser backing.

2) You didn't mention whether or not you had originally sealed the back of the bow before applying the backing. For this "theory", the assumption can be made that either you did not seal the back (although your "refinished the bottom limb" statement would imply otherwise); or that you did apply a finish and it did not take properly. In either case, this theory is that the moisture from tite-bond glue was basically absorbed into the wood of the top limb, thereby making it bend more easily.

3) And finally, I know you've done a self-bow or two (hundred), so I'm pretty sure that this one can't be but... here goes: The original staff was not dried out equally. That is, being snaky, one limb dried out better (more or less) than the other and when you applied the backing, the moisture of the limb - trapped by the finish - caused the erratic behavior difference you are describing...

So, do any of these "theories" sound feasible?

Regards,

Jumpster
Jumpster
Spike Bull

Postby KsBow » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:12 pm

Jumpster, after I had it tillered, I put some rit dye on the back of the bow and let it dry for a day prior to putting on the rat snake skin. The skin was applied the same as all of em I do. Thinned the glue and put a sizing coat on the bow's back, then add the glue to the skin, then apply the skin and work it smooth. I was certain it was dry because of the way the excess filed off with the flat bastard.
Moisture content of the bow wasn't an issue as it has been real close to finish dimensions for over a month.
Just a big ole mystery to me. Thanks for your input. Bottom line is it's fixed and that's all that matters. Being able to work through problems is important in building character bows. :77:
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby Poggins » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:35 pm

Ralph , didn't you take some deflex or reflex out of one o the limbs ?
Could it be possible that that limb worked its way back a little?
Mabe the the moisture drone the glue soaked into the wood a little and helped it along with it getting out of tiller .
That's about all I can come up with .
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby KsBow » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:20 am

I'm sure moisture had something to do with it. You know there was a lot of heating , bending, twisting and moving of wood that went on prior to final tillering. That's the baffling thing to me. Good ideas Billy and Jumpster. I had never had something like that happen before and I've skinned a few bows. Oh Well, live and learn huh? I'll take a few pics to show the finished bow. :applaud:
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby KsBow » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:20 pm

OK, I'm done with the RatSnake bow. It was problematic from the start. However the final result is completeing a bow that's a shooter. You can see from this first group of six (I think) arrows it shot fairly well. I would have liked a bit more weight (53) but with the issues I had, I was happy to get it done at 47 lbs.
Attachments
First Group.JPG
First Group.JPG (165.05 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
RatSnake Done.jpg
RatSnake Done.jpg (132.04 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
RatSnake n Group.JPG
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby FullDraw » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:08 am

I saw the pics you put on Facebook, but like these photo's better. Any thoughts I have on what happened with the tiller would be pure speculation and I'm sure you've already pondered on them. The important issue is that you made a shooter out of a crooked stick. :77: I love the bow! I'm sure it will make meat.

Gary
N.E. Representative Oklahoma Selfbow Society (OSS)
Member - Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Member - NWTF - Eastern Oklahoma County Strutters
Life member NRA
U.S. Army - Vietnam Veteran
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, ... Proverbs 1:7a
FullDraw
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to The Bowyers Workbench