A Simple Question

Dedicated to the Bowyer and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

A Simple Question

Postby KsBow » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:14 pm

Ok, a simple question for all the selfbowyers. What glue do you use for tip overlays. I do some in exotic woods and some with antler or horn. I've had em come off with superglue, epoxy, and whatever. So what glue do you all use?? :77:
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Re: A Simple Question

Postby stickandlimb » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:29 am

I use superglue after I take a hacksaw blade and drag it across both wood and horn .I pull it sideways until there are groves in it. I than put on superglue and a clamp that has a light spring so I don't squeeze out all the glue . Work's for me but I haven't made a hundred bow's like some people have :77: ......so the jury may still be out on my way .....
Its all mind over matter..If you don't mind it don't matter.......
stickandlimb
5X5 Bull

Postby KsBow » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:35 am

I've never did the hacksaw thing. I'll have to try that if I ever get to that point again. I put the cowhorn tips on the little bow I just finished with 5 minute epoxy. After it was all done, I was shooting it in and one came loose. I tried some all purpose glue that I had. Goes on white like old elmers and dries clear. We'll see after some more shooting. Thanks Leslie :77:
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby Poggins » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:12 am

I've only put one set of tip overlays on Ralph , I did a lot of reading first and like Leslie I roughed up the tips and the antler , I used the edge of my little file I use on my scrapers .
After I roughed them up I cleaned them good with denatured alcohol and used Locktight gel superglue and used a clothspin to hold it in place , I did put the glue on both the tip and the antler before putting them together .
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to The Bowyers Workbench