Building a caul. Helppppp!!!!

Dedicated to the Bowyer and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

Building a caul. Helppppp!!!!

Postby stick-um » Fri May 30, 2014 6:52 pm

Well I need some help or at least pointed in the right direction. I got the bow building bug bad and don't have anyone that I know of close to me that I can get ideas or caul help from. So where do you go. I've been to Ojam the last 6 years but more of a looker than a doer. This year I joined and got a bow close to being finished but had to go home early. I plan on trying to get to the members only this June if work will cooperate. I worked with Mike and Tommy when I was there but we ran out of time to get the tips flipped and the propeller twist out. Does anyone have some plans or a template that I could get or purchase from you. Thank you in advance. Mike
stick-um
Spike Bull

Re: Building a caul. Helppppp!!!!

Postby Greywolf » Sat May 31, 2014 9:20 pm

I've never build a self bow, but I sure have designed a boat load of press (forms) or heck might even call it a Caul.

If you know what you want the tips to look like when you done, your headed in the right direction. In your minds eye see the bow unstrung, then draw that on a piece of 3/4 inch plywood along the bottom edge and leave about 12 inches from the bottom, once you like the curve, make it curve more! Wood will "Give" after being taken off a press in its all natural state, heck it'll even give some if it's fiberglass too.

The just make sure the acceleration of the curve doesn't any sharp bends or a kink in it that will create a "Hinge" in the tip. Cut and sand the Plywood so it's just the way you want, no divots or flat spots, now trace another piece from that piece of 3/4 plywood and glue and screw those together and sand them to become one smooth form or better yet a "Caul"
Now drill a hole large enough for your desired C Clamp head to fit into the hole and the screw part of the Clamp fits on the belly of the bow. Now space the next hole 2 inches from the center of that hole, and continue to do so till you have the limb in the shape you desire. this will do two things,
#1. introduce the the curve to the tips that you want
#2 will remove any propeller out of the wood by holding it into place on the Caul.
Now you can use what ever method you were taught to "help" the wood move to the new shape of the Caul.

As I stated before, I've never made a self bow, So this advice and $7.00 will get you a cup of Starbucks coffee. But it's how I make the bows I design, I just have a a bunch of pieces to epoxy together to make mine make the shape I want.
And if I'm way off base, maybe this will spur someone to chime in and give better advice.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby FullDraw » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:12 am

Mike, this is a simple one to answer. There will be several cauls at the Rendezvous in June. We can make you one there or at worse, you can make a pattern to cut one out at home. Bring your bow and we'll get the tips flipped and work on the propeller problem there. By the way, where do you live? We may be able to get you a caul before Rendezvous.

Gary
N.E. Representative Oklahoma Selfbow Society (OSS)
Member - Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Member - NWTF - Eastern Oklahoma County Strutters
Life member NRA
U.S. Army - Vietnam Veteran
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, ... Proverbs 1:7a
FullDraw
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby stillwaterselfbows » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:13 am

Mike - as Gary said we can get you a template of if you bring a 2X6 6' long we can make you one (not treated wood). Bring a few if you want different designs. I'll have a couple of different cauls and tip jigs there.
Tommy
Founding Member - OSS
stillwaterselfbows
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby zeek from coon creek » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:58 pm

OK, I just gotta ask. Does "flipping the tips" improve the bow's performance, or does it just give it a cool look? I am assuming that people go to the effort and risk ruining a bow in the process because it significantly improves performance.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:24 pm

Bestest answer is Yes, it'll help by a couple FPS, the limb design and the working part of the limb are where most of the "Speed" of the arrea comes from.
the recurved tips helps the limb recover faster.

Plus they look great too.

Greywolf Disclaimer: This opinion and $7.00 will get ya a cup of Starbucks coffee.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby stick-um » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:48 pm

Thank you Tommy and Gary. I will be down Friday night. Hope to get this bow shooting with a little help from some friends. :archer2:
stick-um
Spike Bull

Return to The Bowyers Workbench