Bare Shaft Tuning

Dedicated to the Bowyer and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

Bare Shaft Tuning

Postby zeek from coon creek » Sun May 04, 2014 5:10 pm

OK, so I bought a dozen POC shafts that are spined 50-55 lbs. I'm trying to use 125 gr. field tips. Shooting them (no fletching) from a selfbow that pulls 52# @ 28 with a leather floppy rest. When they come off the bow, the tail kicks up a lot. What does this indicate needs to be adjusted? My first guess is the nocking point on the string? If so does it need to go up or down on the string? These are the first cedar shafts I've ever fooled with so any advice will be appreciated.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Re: Bare Shaft Tuning

Postby Peanut39350 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:22 pm

I'm no expert, but from watching masters of the barebow vol.2 they have an arrow tuning section on that video and they recommend starting out with you nock point high and solving your spine issue then setting your nock point by slowly moving it down until your arrow is nock is flying straight if you don't have that video I would recommend getting it, it really helped me get it, 3 rivers archery has the dvd set, anyway to answer your question it sounds like the nock could be hitting your arrow shelf and bouncing up but the only way to disprove that is to move your nock point up and see what happens
Peanut39350
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:08 pm

if you set it level on the string then I'd go up first and see what happens, My guess is it's low and slamming down on the shelf causing it to kick up off the shelf. there again depends on how far back from the back stop you are.....
if that don't work...... then go down..... :eek:
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby zeek from coon creek » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:58 pm

I got it worked out. I had to raise the nocking point on the string by about 3/16 of an inch. If you look on the "what did you do today" thread on the General board I have a photo of a group I shot with the cedars on Memorial Day.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Return to The Bowyers Workbench