Take down Longbow build

Dedicated to the Bowyer and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

Re: Take down Longbow build

Postby Poggins » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:23 am

Just think about it , if you was working on a bow that would be 20 more people making bows . All some people need is a push in the right direction , we have the Oklahoma Outdoor EXPO coming up at the end of this month and the Oklahoma Selfbow Society will have a booth set up so others can see what we do , OJAM gets a little bigger each year. There are people willing to learn they just need a little coaching.
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby jmichelin84 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:02 pm

Greywolf wrote:Thanks,

I'd probably end up doing classes and getting people involved in bow building, and probably try to learn how to do a stave selfbow.

Last 3-d shoot had a guy ask me to bring my string jig and make him a string,
Next thing I know, I got 20 some people setting around the front of the tent and it turned into a string making class LOL.
There are a few bow makers here. but not very many and each likes to keep to themselves.

Did I mention, We have hogs here? :rolf:

Mark id love to take your self bow making class, and i still want to take a hog and actually taste some before, never had wild hog before lol
Living off the land with tools that you have created yourself, is life its self, quote from my Grand Father
jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:27 pm

Closest I've gotten is a bamboo backed hickory longbow, and a static bamboo backed recurve. I have a hard time with the, yellow color spectrum, I find it difficult to tell the color difference of the rings and wood.
One day I'll make a bow from a stave.
Time to go cut and grind some more lams, the Bamboo have been sent, All I need to do is thin them to .050. I want to be ready to continue the build when it arrives.

Wild Pork, actually has very little taste, you need to add a bunch of spices. The reason is simple, there is very little fat on a wild hog. it runs and moves to survive.
Domestic hogs are pen raised they get fed and stand around and get fat, Fat tastes good.
Most people who get a nice lean steak, Pour A-1 sauce all over it to give it flavor, why? The absence of fat ! Not to worry, I got some great recipes :dance:
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby jmichelin84 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:06 pm

Looks great Mark, i love the look of that special cut wood, could that be able to give some black yellow and silver?? lol, thinking of a lamate bow idea lol
Living off the land with tools that you have created yourself, is life its self, quote from my Grand Father
jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:05 am

Be getting back to it soon. I got some Bamboo in .

Was going to cut lams on sunday but had a guy from Texas come to Hawaii so we went shark fishing. he had never been. Was a good day 8 caught, 1 Travally,1 Bonefish and 6 Hammerhead sharks.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby jmichelin84 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:45 pm

Greywolf wrote:Be getting back to it soon. I got some Bamboo in .

Was going to cut lams on sunday but had a guy from Texas come to Hawaii so we went shark fishing. he had never been. Was a good day 8 caught, 1 Travally,1 Bonefish and 6 Hammerhead sharks.

nice, i wanna pull in a Mahi mahi, or a few Grouper lol, i love grouper or red fish as my mothers family calls them, but what ive been told are Jack fish are soooo good too :P
jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:17 pm

Ok boo is in, Two more limbs made. They look good, I did a different cut not as radical so the colors are longer and thinner. I like this cut better. besides I cut it on the bandsaw so the waste was lot less.
Ok what they look like, ready? Ok closer your eyes.....Oh wait...... you won't know when to open......never mind

Still keeping with the 1/1/2 inch theme, I marked the limbs and headed to the bandsaw for some cutting expertise , yes, like usual, cut outside and sand to the line.
Ok guess I forgot to take a pic of the limbs being cut...... but as you can see they are nice

Couple profile pictures for your viewing pleasure.

With out doing anything here are the brace measurements

and since I'm waiting on a true draw length for the person I'm building it for I figgered I'd start drawing the riser design and where the curves will be.....

Kinda hard to see, but nothing is etched in solid wood yet so as I cut I can change things, but I like my style of riser.

Ok, the build is back on, just waiting, Wow that's the hard part, if she wants lighter, I have to re configure the limbs or if not heavy enough, I have to shorten the limbs by 1/2 inch each time till I get to the target weight

Oh well, I'm back in the saddle again, now I just need to come up with a cute name for a woman's 3-d bow.... any ideas?

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby jmichelin84 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:23 pm

WOW im loving this so far Mark, love the colors and the design you have marked out looks great
jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:07 pm

Went down into the cave and was goin to do some sanding/finishing on the TD longbow. Then I discovered I have antler knobs on the limbs.
I need to go get regular bolts so I can cut and sand the limbs without the knobs in the way... jezzzz, I'm losing it... :rolf:

Well at least all the voices in my head are friendly and like me :applaud:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:15 pm

Don't pay the Ransom I escaped :rolf: Well, for the past long time my cave was a giant paint booth for the Kitchen remodel we are doing. Saw dust and spray painting cabinet doors and draw fronts, don't mix well.
So friday the last of the doors went out, so Saturday I went fishing...... so this morning I got up and went downstairs while I had some quiet time and well, take a look....

Lets do a little catching up,
This is where we left off block riser with limbs attached and the riser roughly sketched on the riser of what I think I want

Now on to my most favoristest thing (Tradgirl would love that word ) making saw dust with a bandsaw, that makes things happen so I happeneded

I had to change out the antler bolts for regular Bezes so I could cut the shelf and window out of the riser

Today, I made a command decision, I have a spindle sander, that also has a 12 inch belt sander too that is oscillating.
I figure might as well use the 4 inch end for all the curves on my recurve and longbows from now on... worked out very well

In about 10-15 minutes I had the riser dang near finished except the size of the handle of the wife of the Taxidermist I'm making it for.

well here's what a new idea will get you in about 15 minutes

So I'll hush up and just post the rest of the pictures

And the last one

Since it's sunday, I guess i'll leave it for now, tomorrow I'll make up a string and we'll see how close to target weight we are
The target weight is #35@24, if we hit it or come real close then it's onto putting on tip over lays. Wonder what I have left over in the scrap bow? Hmmm.... :?

We are back to building a bow, sure felt good making saw dust again

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby jmichelin84 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:29 pm

Really loks Great Mark, i might have to send a bow out your way to get the handle done LOL, when i get into making grips properly that is :P
jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:10 am

90% of the handle was done by the sander, I still did the pre-fit with a Nicholson #49 and # 50 rasps. My test person for the handle fit is on the Island of Molokai, so I can't do anything till she gets back tomorrow.

I'm gonna try and do a video of how I make my strings, but it's just,me,myself and I so I'm not for sure how successful we will be. :rolf: :applaud:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby jmichelin84 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:20 am

Greywolf wrote:90% of the handle was done by the sander, I still did the pre-fit with a Nicholson #49 and # 50 rasps. My test person for the handle fit is on the Island of Molokai, so I can't do anything till she gets back tomorrow.

I'm gonna try and do a video of how I make my strings, but it's just,me,myself and I so I'm not for sure how successful we will be. :rolf: :applaud:

HAHAHAHAHA still better than what i could do :P, id end up talking about cookies, when i was supposed to be about god or mechanics or something LOL
jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Postby swedisciple » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:54 am

That looks awesome!

Really nice build along :dance:
Martin From Sweden
www.facebook.com/moosebows
swedisciple
4X4 Bull

Postby Newkirk Jerry » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:04 pm

Wipe the dust off that baby and lets see it shine!!
Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Postby SoTxPighunter » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:07 pm

Hey bro. When are you sending the stag antlers that's all I'm waiting for?
STP
SoTxPighunter
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:25 pm

Hey Bro
Sorry about that I just sent him off another email this is Kukai !!
I'll let ya know by Text when I hear from him pro or con.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Camera is acting up on me, but I'll ask the wolf pup to bring hers in today and get some pics of the riser, the limbs still look the same, just added some tip over lays, I think I have some pics of those let me check

I hate PHOTOBUCKET !!!!!!! they changed the format...again..... I have no clue how to get the pics here now...Grrrrr give me old and reliable not new and messed up !!!!! :rolf:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:12 pm

Hope this works....

and the top limb tip

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:48 pm

We might have another one or two take down recurve builds going on here soon.

Martin and Rohan are gettin the itch to build them. maybe they will share some of their pictures and how they build bows.. come on guys give them some encouragement... :applaud:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:15 am

I did a final weight check it's #37@24 missed weight by two pounds, oh well... I was bout ready to box it up, when I asked if he wanted anything else written on the limb.

Then, my heart sank...Then I had that hot OH NO prickly feeling... you know the one like... I didn't do what I thought I did... did I?
Then I did a double check.... yep I sure did. I misspelled the last name, instead of it being Xxxiga I did Xxxgia oh well thank goodness for 300 and 400 grit sandpaper.
Worst part was I double checked it from my phone and I had entered the wrong spelling. Like the song says, "If it weren't for bad luck, Id have no lucky at all".......

Glad I discovered it before he did.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby jmichelin84 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:39 am

The bow looks beautiful Mark, and i know that song well lol
jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:10 pm

Having a small heart procedure done tomorrow, so I'll need a 2-3 days recoup time, So I suppose I can see how well I can sand with my left hand. I can't believe I spelled the name wrong :eek: :oops:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby jmichelin84 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:18 pm

Hope everything goes well Mark, my prayes will with you, and dont worry bout the name, its an easier fix than a tattoo or burning the name in
jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:01 pm

Great news they say the blockage that was in there few years ago has gotten even smaller. No disturbed flow of blood, but I do have a slightly larger heart than other people, I said yeah, but that's just because I'm a nice guy...guess that wasn't what they were talking about. But at 6'4 #280 I guess it's just the right size for me. The low rebound numbers might be because the resting heart rate is 50 BPM.

I guess I might make it a few more years. but we shall see. I guess I can start to plan another mainland hunting trip !!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby jmichelin84 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:43 am

Glad to hear things went well, the enlarged heart not so good, take care of your self, and LOL at the nice guy bit, always fun to see another guy who says that
jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:47 pm

Well, I sent it off yesterday, I forgot to take some pictures of the bow. but it won't be the last.
still working on the the string tutorial, trying to get it down less than 10 minutes but it's tough doing it my way.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby elisonj » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:54 am

Really nice work Greywolf! :77: :77:

I'm curious about how you made your diamond. Can you explain a little?
elisonj
Spike Bull

Previous

Return to The Bowyers Workbench