Take down Longbow build

Dedicated to the Bowyer and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

Take down Longbow build

Postby Greywolf » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:58 am

A friend from Sweden wanted to see a take down longbow build-a-long. So I got off early today, came back to the cave and started to clean it up. I had turned the cave into a huge paint booth, painting about 40 cabinet doors and draw fronts. Guess what? I wanted my saw dust shop back so I started taking it apart. well That quickly ceased to be fun before I got half way through. :rolf:

So, I have some stuff, and other stuff and some stuff I don't have so it's ll be a longer build than I normally do. so shall we get started?

***Warning Disclaimer***
It's a long post, so go to the bathroom, get a cold beverage, kick back and enjoy

OK, welcome to the Take Down Longbow Build-a-long

My new friend Martin from Sweden, built a fine Dark Angle recurve, so I decided to do a Take down version of "Trav" for those of you that don't know Trav, he is a short longbow I built, for people to try that might want to get into
Traditional archery and don't want to drop the coin to find out. It's my way of Giving back to the Archery world. My small drop in the bucket if you will.

Ok, first we need some riser wood

Well Looking here, here is a nice new Hunk of Custom Diamond I had made just for longbows

It's a darker black,grey silver and brown wood with a repeating pattern, check it out..

First is a block for the riser, this riser is one I got from a friend of mine in Texas Bob Sarrel, he owns Sarrels archery in Austin Texas, I met him and his son and fabulous family when I was there almost a year ago, he had a longbow design I really like, it just just said.."Ya like me don't ya?". You know those bows when ya see them, trust me. And this was one of them. Bob said I could use his riser design. My limbs , his riser (I suck at designing risers)

That should be just about right, and it's a short riser about 16 inches long, not very long at all

One thing Bob and I seem to agree on, 18 degrees makes a great set of limb pads, so I grabbed my old pattern and draw a couple 18 degree lines

Some guys get all fancy about limb pads, just mark'em , cut'em , stay out side the lines and sand to the line.....

Looks good enough to me, it's amazing to me the older I get the straighter and better my cuts......(thank God for the belt sander)

Find the center of the riser and mark it at 16 inches and cut it off........ NOT TO BAD !!!!

Well, ok, just a touch up on the sander........****Whew****

Ok, like I said, this is going to be my limbs on a new riser, so Just for Giggles and Grins, lets check it out to see if they will match?

Cool.....

So this is the game plan, bout all we need riser, limb press, ruler, marking pen... guess were good......wait...something else.....

Oh yeah, guess limbs might help huh?

I cut these limb laminations special they are cut sideways to show the grain, because if not they wouldn't show all the colors I wanted, so grind..grind..grind

Kinds hard to see the grains, maybe this way will help...

Not really huh? hold on... There ya go, this is much better

And this is what the stack looks like

Ok, limb ground, glass cut to length and the press... Only problem is I don[t have any good Smooth On epoxy. I have some but I don't trust it

Well, Guess that's about it for today, took a couple hours to get this far so...lets do this one slow, I'll order some Epoxy tomorrow....it's take a couple days to get here, not to worry
I'll think of something, to do while we are waiting.

Ohh, Like before, if I forget to explain something or your wondering why or how I did something.... please ask. Like I said we'll do a extended build on this one start to finish how bout that?
Get your string material ready and your serving, we are going to do a String-a-long too, and beaver balls too. it'll be fun.

Keep checking back, ya never know what I might find do or discover......

Aloha
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Some Guy from Sweden......

Postby cengert » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:23 pm

Looking good so far, pretty neat looking lams, gonna make a sweet looking bow, keep it coming.
What length and weight are ya shooting for?
What wood are you using for the core lam? Is it bamboo?
Also are the lams all parrallels?

Like the drum sand, what size motor and pully ratio do you run? I cant afford an expensive drum sander and would love to grind my own lams.
cengert
Spike Bull

Postby swedisciple » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Looking good! I like the subject :77:

Im really excited for this build along!
Martin From Sweden
www.facebook.com/moosebows
swedisciple
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:20 pm

cengert wrote:Looking good so far, pretty neat looking lams, gonna make a sweet looking bow, keep it coming.
What length and weight are ya shooting for?
What wood are you using for the core lam? Is it bamboo?
Also are the lams all parrallels?
Like the drum sand, what size motor and pully ratio do you run? I cant afford an expensive drum sander and would love to grind my own lams.

Going for a 60 inch nock to nock and what ever it ends up over all, the weight is going for mid to upper 40's #45-#46 is the target weight, this is the first so it's a journal bow for sure.

Yes, the core is bamboo .050

Yepper, this is a first for me, Bob Sarrel uses all parallels in all his bows, So I thought I'd give it a whirl. uncharted water... have to wait and see. I'm doing this bow for my Taxidermists wife,
It's part of a deal he and I worked out for my Red Stag mount.

The drum sander is a 3/4 horse motor, I got it at a garage sale $10.00. I built the housing around it and for the drum I just drilled 1/2 inch holes in White Popular wood loaded a bunch on the 1/2 inch Steel rod and glued them together once dry, I chucked it up on the Shopsmith and turned it round.
I use 1 inch sanding belts so, I could of made it any size I wanted, the motor is rated at 18,000 rpm I've never stalled it. the table is 1/4 inch aluminum plate with
couple of toggle style bolts for fine adjustments. I put a #49 rasp on a small block of wood and turned the drum to match the table for square. If memory serves, it has 3 inch pulleys to get 18,000 rpm. Image

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby cengert » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks for the great info on the grinder, I'll be building one as soon as a get some spare time, trying to finish a couple bows at the moment.

Looking forward to following this T/D build, a guy can pick up a lot of good tips and tricks following these builds.
cengert
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:52 pm

Well, I ordered the Smooth On, it's be here beginning of the week. So I guess we wai........t Nah... let do something else while we wait

Antler Bolts !!
That's it ...... Let's make some, since real ones are kinda hard to come by, let's design and make those fake ones. Since I've never made one before we'll do it together.

This is one close to the one I have chosen to make copies of. I'll show ya the real one in a little while.

Ok, now we need to make a box to hold the mold mixture, I had some plexiglass in the cave.... we'll use that, it don't have to be large, just big enough.

The box has to be big enough to cover the antler knob about a 1/2 inch all over top side and flush on the bottom

After that, I'll put tape on the bottom so it's make it easier to stick to the bottom of the box then I'll paint on the mold mixture to make sure all the detail is recovered from the knob.

then it's mixing time, it's in two parts along with the thinner

pour into a good mixing container, try not to stir in air to the mixture

Start in one corner pour slowly as not to introduce air, , oh it's also very messy so you have to use your imagination, I didn't want to mess up the Alpha Females camera.

The instructions say to put it into a vacuum chamber and suck all the air out to remove the bubbles.... darn, my air sucker chamber has a leak.... so I'll just let it set and tap the sides

Yeah, I know it's the same picture, just checking if your following and paying attention.

That's bout all we can do for now it's says wait 18-24 hours for it to set up. I did use the palm sander and touch the sides of the box to vibrate it.... so maybe the air bubbles would come up to the top,
which is actually the bottom
Also, I took a drop of hot melt glue from the glue gun and put a drop on the tape and stuck it to the bottom of the box so it'd stay put and not move around.....

Ok, that's it for now, waiting is the hard part... but sometimes ya got too....

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:40 am

The first thing I wanted to know was did it stay stuck to the bottom.......Yepper !!

Ok, lets see what we have, I only used hot melt glue along the edges so I could take it apart pretty easy

Ok, having never made one before I guess you could drill it after you pour it, or you could maybe..... pour the bolt in place? save a step if it will work ?

Ok, first things first, get the antler out of the mold...if I can...... it took some bending on all sides pushing in the middle underneath, and believe me it's not easy... but I got it out

Look inside shows all the detail is just like the real antler burr, one thing I did, was paint the mold stuff under the top and all over so it got in every nook and cranny so the detail is very very good.

I'm thinking(oh crap there he goes again!) about a half inch or so inside should hold the bolt in place and rock solid......I hope ?

BUt the top of the bolt is round and smooth it needs some flat spots and divits to make sure it holds and not spins in the antler knob, After all it does have to hold the limb on the bow and take a bunch of shock, so to the bench grinder I go, couple 2-3 flat spots on the round part and I filed a couple of flat spots under the top and drilled a couple of hole into the bolt it's self.

Test fit and yes Sir I think(yeah I know) I can get it just darn near perfectly straight up and down

This is what I'm going to use might have to change to something else later but lets give it a whirl

I'm guessing about an ounce and should have some left over one ounce equals 10 drops of activator and mix it well

Slow by slow it goes in, nothing more than not to over fill it I got to leave some room for the bolt it'll take up space too

Ok. it's got just a slight over fill on it, it might shrink some, and if it don't I can chuck it up in the drill and file it down smooth

Ok, it'll take 24 hrs it says at 70 degrees and 18 hrs at 80 degrees so some time tomorrow, oh and it's friday which is fishing day, so we'll see if not I'll get it over the weekend

I got a delivery conformation on the smooth on it's possible(but don't count on it to be here Saturday, probably Monday is more like it

Ok, so we wait...again
Thanks for tagging along, I really appreciate you guys, you give me encouragement to try things and it's my pleasure to share it with you, So I thank you.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:28 pm

Well, I didn't catch any fish, but I knew I had something fun waiting on me when I got home.

I walked into the cave and straight to the workbench

I pick up the mold and started to roll and bend it, I knew the top or the burr of the antler was going to be tough to get outImage

With a little bit of difficulty I finally got the burr to pop out, I figured out the way to bend and pull and push all at the same time yeah, I know..... it worked !!

Better look at it to see how far the bolt is inside the burr, so holding should be not problem at all

After church took a ride over to Ben Franklin, that's all we have here as far as hobby and craft places. I forgot the burr, so I had to do all this by memory..... remember that fall I had back 3 yrs ago? :rolf:

I started mixing a couple of colors because one was too dark and the other too red. I remember Hey.. Theses can be any color I want, they are my creations !! so I started painting the fiberglass reproduction one layer at a time.

Happy with the color mixture I did the second one too, I like the color nice and being on the bow, I want it darker for camo purposes too.

This is what I ended up with, figure if I want I can add deer tracks or turkey tracks later....

Not too shabby, I might take the burr tomorrow and see if I can make the top little darker... we shall see...

Oh Yesterday I went to get the mail and lookie what was sticking out of the box?

Yep it's my Smooth On 3 days travel time from order to arrival they are good !!!!

Tomorrow might have to put some limbs together.... I'm Loving it !!!!

Aloha

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Longbow build for a guy in Sweden.....

Postby cengert » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:58 pm

Nice looking antler bolts, I'm gonna try to make some of those real quick this week maybe I can get them done and on the youth bow for the rendezvous. Any idea where I can get mold goo?
cengert
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:28 am

Yep fiberglass Hawaii down at the end of Hart st. left side of...... Oh wait.. you mean over there? maybe Hobby lobby? or a Taxidermist store. any place where fiberglass resin is sold...

Just have to do a search on Google to maybe find some place the jar which was enough to do two molds was #32.00 plus the hardener and for the measuring cup About $35.00 total.
Finding a good antler burr was challenging, some are wide at the base but once you find one they are fun to do. Or if ya need I can send ya this pair, I have couple extra bolts and plenty of resin.
Let me know, PM me. Just an offer.

Here might be one place
SPEEDWAY FIBERGLASS SHOP
610 L ST
LINCOLN, NE 68508-2431
(402) 475-2368

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby swedisciple » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:32 am

Really nice!
I guess we have a glue up coming next ?
Martin From Sweden
swedisciple
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:36 am

Uhhh yep, I was going to play with it today, but spent time with the Wolfpup, and went to see the new movie 2016. Kinda kicked back and relaxed. Got to get the oven out from all the stuff and empty it outI use it for storage for some of my other Presses.

How is the handle forward longbow coming?

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:44 pm

It's gonna be a good week, I can just tell, ok lets see.. We have antler bolts... So we need to start making this happen don't we?
Ok, lets get the riser first since the glue up will be messy and I always get it all over me !! lets do the riser, so grab a cold beverage and lets get rollin !!

As most of you know I like to keep things simple, I don't have a CNC machine, just a few power tools and that's really all ya need. Let get the riser marked out
Since I have given myself a 1/4 allowance if needed let's use a simple block of wood to do a complex chore, flush one side to the riser and draw a line..

The next tool is one that Binghams sells for about $65.00 plus shipping... But me being me, I wanted to make my own limb jig, same measurements as the steel model
I called Elmont at binghams and the told me the measurements and what hole sizes so I made my own. just flush the end of the jig to the riser and use the screws on the side to align the center of the
gage on the center line of the riser and tighten it down. I'm only going to drill the insert hole right now,
Just a reminder the GREEN holes are for the risers insert and the alignment pin, the RED holes are for drilling the limb holes. Yes it does matter...
Line up the other end too, Make sure one end didn't move, so double check and tighten them all snug

Now using the large hole drill a 27/64th hole 1 inch into the riser block, so through the jig and an inch into and mark the depth with a piece of tape.

Do the same on the other end and we are good to go, on this bow what ever we do on one end we do the exact same thing on the other..
so now we have two 27/64ths holes drilled in the riser.

Now get your 1/2 x 13 tap we are going to tap the riser....yeah , that's right we are going to tap threads in the wood just like you would in a piece of metal..

Just go slow and make sure the tap is straight up and down and in line with the hole, once started it'll make it's self go in straight. drill it all the way to the bottom
How I do it I start and do a 1/2 turn cutting into the wood and back it out, then do a full turn which is back the first cut then a half cut more, then after a couple cuts back it out
and clean the shavings out of the hole till I hit the bottom of the hole.

Since I hate to buy anything I'm going to make the double threaded insert, this is just me, I'd recommend you just buy the set from 3rivers archery(they are a sponsor here) or that other place I mentioned

I'll need about 3 inches to make the inserts which I'll show ya tomorrow, mark it longer if ya need.

A good ole hacksaw does a great job

and a trial fit to make sure it fits nice and tight...Oh yeah !!!!

Ok, now that that is done let me get the oven out of it's hiding place and I'll start with that portion of the build in a little while..

Were making some head way now !!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:57 pm

In case your wondering, the tape on the Tap is so I know I've gone the full inch, sometimes it just stops and ya gotta horse it through the rough spot and make the rest of the threads, more threads are ok, but coming up short is a bummer. it's a double check.... although it's **Cough**Cough ** never happened to me .......but once....

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:12 am

I COULDN'T HELP IT............I Peeked
Attachments
IMG_0952.JPG
IMG_0953.JPG

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby swedisciple » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:14 am

Great lookin wood!
Martin From Sweden
swedisciple
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:46 pm

Yesterday I had to pour a couple more antler bolts. the first ones were needed on another special bow. So I get more practice, it's all good.

I'm not for sure but I think I'm getting the hang of this knob making thing, still working on the color of the burrs but, I'm sure with enough playing...err serious working, I'll get it right.

Ok, I'm not for sure where I was when I left off...lets see... Oh yeah one limb made and the rest of the other stuff to go too..... Now I remember.
First I turned on the oven and per heated the oven and the limb lamination and glass. I'll glue it up in a little while... but first
I need to make some inserts for the limb bolts, first I'll drill a 17/64th hole in the center of the 1/2 inch all thread rod

The hole needs to be about 2 inches or so in the rod so I can tap it.

Quick depth check........

Almost just a bit more and it'll be good, better to be too deep than not enough in this case. little bit more

I'm also going to make a antler bottom squaring tool too.... so I need to drill same size hole in a round aluminum stock.

I for got to take a picture of me tapping in the threads about a 1/2 inch or so so the bolt could tighten up and still have room to square the base of the burr.

Some times it requires a deeper cut to square it off...*Note to self* fill the mold more for a better base.

Took 30 seconds to set it up and cut it square

Nice tooling idea.... simple yet exact

Ok, back to the insert making got the rod drilled.. looks wierd huh, it's the angle of the picture

Ok, all I have to do is tap it at least an inch, remember the hole is drilled 2 1/4 inch.

quick double check and ....Yepper goo d to go.

now a fancy cut off job a 7/8s of an inch and one insert is complete

Tuaduh....(you know that noise of done? )

Now there should be about 2-3 threads for the tap to catch and continue to tap the rest of the way in.

Just like before all the way in to an inch..

Before I cut this on off I need to dress up the end, it's ragged and might tear up the wood threads so I'll touch it up..

Viola ! two double threaded inserts ready to be put in the riser.

Ok, now to glue up the limb, now I must stress the importance of strict measuring of the glue, it must be 1:1 ration you sometimes need sycpl,scyh..syfic just put the part A with part B

Then stir very fast and vigorously till it boils....................... Just wanted to see if you were paying attention,
it won't boil, but feel free to try anyway if you like, stop when your arm gets tired or it's mixed well which ever comes first..

I didn't take any pictures during the glue up but picture this, lots of glue spreading it with a popsicle stick,
accidentally getting it on your arm hair, wiping it off making a bigger mess, touching your shirt so now you'll have a hard spot of glue on your shirt you knew you should have changed in the first place.
and it's done, so wrap it in cling wrap and tape it up like a cocoon lay it on the press, add the pressure strip, the air hose the top of the press, 4 bolts and inflate the hose and put it in the oven

Cool !! remind me it shuts off at 4 pm my time !! ok, I'm going to go play with the antler knobs and mixing paint to see how the knobs turn out,
The batteries are dead in the camera so just picture me having fun, listening to the radio and drinking a cold one ! Got it?

See ya tomorrow !!!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:58 pm

Ok, I forgot the epoxying of the inserts, ya don't need much about a pea size of A&B and mix well

Then spread a dab on the wood threads around the top, don't let it go to the bottom, just around the top

Smear some in the threads, again on the top upper 2/3rds or so

then using a 5/16s x18 bolt put a jamb nut on it to lock the insert into place so it won't spin and seat it at the riser pad or little below is good

Do the other end and your good to go, I drilled the hole a little deeper than the insert so the bolt will really snug down.

Tomorrow, We sand the limbs,mark them out, cut them, mount and set the limbs. It's a Make a bow day !!!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Take down Longbow build

Postby jmichelin84 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:22 pm

Looking good Mark, im trying to make a few arrowheads, well cast a few that is lol, i got some and i wanna make afew wax models and cast them, but im thinking they will shrink on me lol
Living off the land with tools that you have created yourself, is life its self, quote from my Grand Father
jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:56 pm

Ok, Another sneak peek

I had a couple of elephants escape today so I had to spend the day (read had Honey Dos to accomplish) herding them back in the pen.

But check these out !!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby swedisciple » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:08 am

Thoose limbs are really nice!
Martin From Sweden
swedisciple
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:39 am

I was able to put some felt on the bottom of the burr so it won't scratch the glass or the over lay that I have yet to put on.

Lets see, we got the contact cement setting up lets go ahead and have some fun. Oh usual warning, go to the bathroom, get something to drink and have a sit... ready?

I got the tape off of the limbs and now I need to get the Smith hog ready to chew off the glue boogers off.

12 inches of pure wood dust lust !! lets go make some sawdust but first, wanna show ya something...
Thats right it's a respirator it's about $20.00 or so, but trust me, glue and fiberglass with trash your lungs in about a bows worth of glass dust. USE IT !!!!!! I have 3 other them !!!
Ok lets hog off some glue, side, tips and butts all got to be squared, remember you can take it off but you can't put it back on ...Go slow !!

Whew... that was some wild stuff, sure is hot too. it's also raining so the air is wet and muggy

double check the square of the end and tape and mark the limb butt for center

do both end of the limb butt on both limbs center

Mark a good center mark on the tape we are going to need it for the center finding drill jig.

Here is the jig I made, like I said I can't see spending $65.00 plus shipping when I can make it....

Once it's lined up double check to see it's perfectly lined up and now we can drill the bolt hole

If you used the right side of the jig you should have a have a nice 5/16th inch hole right where it should be.

Hey ! let's bolt on some limbs to the riser !!

Heck yeah, it works and is starting to look like a bow !!

Lets use a string to see how the limbs line up ? This is the moment of truth...ready?

Yessssssss , I'm loving it !!!!! Yippppeeeee !!!!!

{ That weird dance pictures were edited out !! }
It wasn't pretty trust me !!!

Ok, I'll add some tape on the back of the glass and draw the limb shape on each limb, it's going to be just a shade smaller than 1 1/2 wide probably more like 1 3/8s less the finish sanding

The limb tips are going to be thinned too, I'm going for 1/2 finish tips. This is also a 60 inch bow.

Tomorrow, I'll get it cut out, rough sanded and maybe get the handle rough shaped, I forgot to ask for a hand drawing of her hand.
I'll have to wait till it arrives for me to finish making the handle to fit her hand.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Newkirk Jerry » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:58 am

You had some cool looking wood made, it looks great. This is going to be a beaut!
Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Postby jmichelin84 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:49 am

Looking great, gonna be a pretty and gonna be deadly , love the part about the lil dance pic being edited LOL
Living off the land with tools that you have created yourself, is life its self, quote from my Grand Father
jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Postby stickandlimb » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:51 pm

My gosh ..you need to move closer to Oklahoma............I would be over at your shop ever night ...... :applaud:
Its all mind over matter..If you don't mind it don't matter.......
stickandlimb
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:25 pm

Not for sure what happened, but seems like I had a limb bending failure. Still will shoot just looks odd. There is 3/4 inch different in tiller because of the failure in the working part of the limb. So. I'll cut another set of lamination and see which one it matches LOL

So we are on hold, I did a string today and tried to do a video of it, I'll see if I can edit it and make it fit the time requirements .

The saga continues... it does happen every once in a while.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:29 pm

Just talked to my buddy, he said he'll send me a large plank of bamboo on tuesday mail. should be able to get 16-18 pieces of bamboo for limb material core wood.

He has different wood configuration than what I can get here,
The limb deflection would be too great to use what I can get here.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:35 pm

I was some what befuddled on what happened so I went back and looked at my notes, (always good to have them) one the first limb I didn't tape the pressure strip on the stack, Brain gaspass I guess, but the pressure strip wasn't centered on the stack when epoxy gets warn and heated it gets more fluid. in this case the air hose must have pushed the Pressure strip more to the side as it compressed the stack at 33 inches long that equates to almost half of the stack. the limb never got full and equal compression like the other limb did, hence the the variance in the limb thickness with the micrometer. just .002 but it was enough to change the bending of the working part of the limb.

Even after 18 yrs and hundreds of bows things like this happen. Oh well. I have some more Action Bamboo ordered at least 3 more strips worth and also a plank size portion.
Minor set back and a highlighted reminder in the procedure list !

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby sampson » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:37 pm

Awesome, work! I'm with the other guy you need to move to Oklahoma. But Maybe your better off where you are you'd never get a moments peace here. I wish I had half of your skill.
" The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog, he looks alot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence" Lt. Col. Grossman
sampson
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:35 am

Thanks,

I'd probably end up doing classes and getting people involved in bow building, and probably try to learn how to do a stave selfbow.

Last 3-d shoot had a guy ask me to bring my string jig and make him a string,
Next thing I know, I got 20 some people setting around the front of the tent and it turned into a string making class LOL.
There are a few bow makers here. but not very many and each likes to keep to themselves.

Did I mention, We have hogs here? :rolf:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Next

Return to The Bowyers Workbench