Center serving made easy

Dedicated to the Bowyer and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

Center serving made easy

Postby Greywolf » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:06 pm

Had a couple of people come by for the servings replaced here at the cave so I thought I'd share an easy way to reserve your own center servings, so I dug this up.

I did a string building tutorial a couple yrs ago, first off I like simple. the Kiss principle works well in my world. One thing I found is, once you find a way that works for you stay with it.
There are a bunch of arm-chair "you can do it better this way" people out there. use what ya like and throw away the rest. so try this and use what ya like.

First I always serve with the top limb to the left(for right handed shooters), I alway flip the serving tool over the the top of the string. I'll have some pics in case it's not clear what I just wrote.
I use a string square, clip it on the string and slide it down to the shelf or rest. now mark the top of the square, this is where I start the serving, see told you it was simple.

I make all my strings with 14 strands of B-50 and use .022 braided serving from Brownells, no need to change if it works. Ok I separate the string between the bundles or in half which ever.
Thread the tag end through and leave 8-10 inches hanging out
Then start winding the server over the top so the serving is winding to the right bout 3-4 turns, then I take the tag end and lay it along the string towards the handle and serve over and continue to wrap so it's now the tag end is under the serving.

Here is where you set the tension on the wing nut that controls how much tension is placed on the serving spool, I do mine with some tension but not so it will pull out easy, I like a tighter serving.
Continue about 10-12 more wraps then I take a pair of hemostats and grab the tag end and pull it tight so it will be tight under the wrap by pulling,locking it under the wraps.
Then cut the tag end off close to the serving on the string(be careful not to cut the string) now continue down the string for 7-8 inches. (it's your choice, I measure so the end of the serving is 1 inch below my hand )

Now comes the finish back serve, This is a simplest way to accomplish it, This is also where gives people fits to try to do.
When you reach the length you want, now pull the server towards you unspooling about 10 inches of string, take your left hand and place 4 fingers on the serving and loop it around your hand and put the server over the string like your going to serve again like you just did, because you are.

Holding the loop open, place the serving tool inside the loop and serve inside the loop, going back towards the center serving you just completed

Now serve inside the loop just like you did on the string, for 12-15 turns (you can do less I don't want my serving to move)
Good!! Now for the close, This part is little tricky, pull out 10 inches of serving and lay the tag end over your left hand and let the server hang,(now the tricky part) which hands so the right index finger is holding the loop, remove your left hand and pinch, the end of the center serving and the tag end so it won't come loose.

Now winding the same direction as the server, wind the loop on the string, it'll unwind on the right side of the loop and wind up on the center serving side.

Keep pressure on the loop as you go, let you left finger and thumb catch each loop as you go, now keep winding till there is no more string left, now you have a large loopImage

put the hemostats or something with a point inside the loop and hold pressure on the loop to keep it tight, now grab the serving tool and wind the string tight to the spool, now pull the serving so it will pull the loop under the end of the serving you just did, till the loop disappears under the serving, give it a couple of snug up pulls.
Why not use your finger? You get it caught in the loop once.... you'll know why :rolf:

Cut the tag end off where it comes out about and inch or so under the serving, leave about a quarter inch sticking out and burn it so it will make a melting ball, smash it along the serving so it won't pull out.

Viola , you just served your string!

Hope this helps
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Center serving made easy

Postby Greywolf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:54 am

Had a PM about skinny strings and the serving. I have no Idea, I've never seen the use of a skinny string. As stated in the post,, I do a 14 strand string and a .022 center serving, if I make a 12 strand string I use a .026 serving(less than #45 bowstring) I was guess if you make a skinny string you'd have to some how run extra strings where the serving is and build it to a 14 strand string.
I'd weave them into the string,in a " + " through the string leaving them long enough to reach the end of the serving, then start the serving above the extras and leave them wild, trim when I got to within 2 inches of the end and finish as show in this posts.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Olschool » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:37 pm

You center serve just like I do! For a "skinny" string, I just do the serving 2X
Olschool
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Seems like that would make the serving thicker a .022 doubled would be .044 minus somewhere in the 45-50% due to lack of strands that still would be .030 hmmm. Whew... glad I don't mess with them :rolf:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:38 am

For my buddy, Now, Just for you, I typed this real slooooow. so no need to hurry. Keeping tension on the wrap, is the key to a good serving.

I've done it this way for lot of years. It's the simplest and easiest to remember. Coupe times and it
ll be just like fallen off a log. it's easy :rolf:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Return to The Bowyers Workbench