Question on Fade Length

Dedicated to the Bowyer and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

Question on Fade Length

Postby wildboy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Can someone pleased explain any advantages or disadvantages of longer vs shorter fades?

For example, when we lay out a flatbow of 62" or longer we typically lay out a 4" handle with 2" fades. When we layout a shorter bow, say 58" we set it up with a 4" handle and 1.5" fades. I understand we do this to increase the working length of the limbs on the shorter bow, but what is the advantage of the 2" fade on the longer bows? Why not use a 1.5" fade on the longer bows? Is there a disadvantage to the shorter 1.5" fade?

Thanks for the feedback
wildboy
Spike Bull

Re: Question on Fade Length

Postby WinterHawk » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:11 pm

I think that the longer fades give more strength where the hinge points are. Shorter is a compromise with the shorter limbs; Over 2" on a longer bow might not give any advantage, strength wise.

~WH~
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Re: Question on Fade Length

Postby wildboy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:17 am

WH,

Thanks for your comments. I don't recall any mention of this topic in any of the books. I doubt there is much difference between 1.5" and 2" fades on a bow 62"-66" but it would be interesting to know if anyone has ever studied this or tested this. I'm building my osage selfbows on the shorter side, 58"-60" with 1.5" fades though I also want to build some shorter. That's why I am curious about fade length, how much should I adjust the proportions depending on the length of the bow.

In "Hunting the Osage Bow" Dean Torges said he adjusted the proportions depending on the length of the bow he was building but he didn't go into much detail about how much or how the length of the fade affects the bow. Maybe it's not that important?

Thanks again for your input.

Michael
wildboy
Spike Bull

Return to The Bowyers Workbench