CVA Lock replacement ?

Dedicated to the Gunsmith and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

CVA Lock replacement ?

Postby petew » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:51 am

I picked up an un-finished CVA Frontier kit, that is missing the lock and trigger. Trigger is no problem, but what is available for percussion locks for these ? The stock is already factory inlet so if I want to use it I am limited, and so far I don't see anything available to use. The pieces are not here yet, but should arrive in the mail soon.

Next part to source will be a tang. That is missing, but since it is hooked breech I am pretty sure I can either find one, or modify the hook/tang from a Lyman /TC etc .
I am still unsure if I should find the parts and finish the kit, or chop the breech off the new barrel and thread a TC breech into it and use the new barrel on a nice complete TC stock I have and move the underlugs to match the TC stock . This option is by far the most economical, and It would make a cool carbine length 50 cal.
Pete ward
Share your knowledge and information
www.peteward.com
petew
5X5 Bull

Re: CVA Lock replacement ?

Postby zeek from coon creek » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:04 pm

L&R sells a drop in replacement lock for CVA guns. They are high quality but they are not cheap.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Postby Captchee » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:07 pm

L&R makes replacment locks under ther LPR line for the CVAs . there is some minor inletting to do .
the other option is to pick up an original used lock from e-bay or call deer creek and get a new cva lock .
tang also isnt an issue . would be fare easier to make one then to cut and re breech IMO . or just watch ebay for a tang . they show up often so shoulnt be that hard of a find
:campfire:
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby petew » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:59 pm

Thanks Cap.

Deer Creek seems to have tons of parts at fair prices. Hopefully the frontier kit uses the same lock and tang as the Hawken or Mountain rifle and they will ship to Canada..
Pete ward
www.peteward.com
petew
5X5 Bull

Postby petew » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:04 pm

Deer creek has all the missing pieces and the order is in place . The Frontier will be a good refresher to get back into shape before I start a 32 cal walnut stock squirrel / Mountain rifle flinter. I have a decent stock blank for the 42" barrel, and a nice 32 cal Douglas barrel that is already browned and breached, with sights and tennons. I will try to do a progress thread on these , and if I finish before spring I might have a couple more rescue builds to get started on.
One is a 1" 54 CVA barrel that needs a home , another is a Lyman Deerhunter stock that needs a short carbine 20" barrel and a lot of size reduction. The stock has nice wood, just to much of it. Another is a very nice TC Hawken stock that is married to a sewer pipe for a barrel.

The hardest part living in Alberta is getting parts at a reasonable price.Our dollar has tanked and this hurts.
Sometimes the stars don't line up , I have 2 stocks that need barrels in 15/16 and a barrel that needs a 1" stock. Time to get creative in my winter endeavors and see what I can come up with for parts and ideas.
Pete ward
www.peteward.com
petew
5X5 Bull

Return to The Gunsmiths Workbench