The slow process of my 45 cal Southern Mountain rifle build

Dedicated to the Gunsmith and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

Re: The slow process of my 45 cal Southern Mountain rifle build

Postby petew » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:17 pm

I got excited at the thought of finishing up my rifle and got to work on it this morning. Well all went great until I cracked the fore end putting the pins in the ramrod pipe. A bit of glue in the crack and a clamp and all is well I hope. The next time I will have the wood supported when putting pins in and the end cap will be on.
That disaster is under control for now and the pieces are going on in great fashion, up to the point it is looking like a rifle and I can actualy shoulder it and all that stuff. I even got a couple photos I will post in a bit. I am happy and it is almost finished. I need to get some screws to finish the details, and have them match the rest. Then as I decide to give it the old eye ball for what I need to do to make it 100 % I discover to my HORROR :shock: I don't have a hole drilled in the barrel for a vent liner. After cracking the stock at the front and fixing it I swore the barrel was in to stay for life. I guess it has 1 more time to come out after the glue dries on the stock tip. { The liner is in now }
I plant to Brown the lock later on as well as the lock bolt side plate. I just forgot about these. :oops:

Pete ward
Share your knowledge and information
www.peteward.com
petew
5X5 Bull

Postby Captchee » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:09 am

OOOOUCH!!!!
But sorry to say , been there , done that , got the T shirt .
I once busted a stock right in front of the customer . NOT good !!!

What I do is place a piece a 12 inch piece of RR in the bore of the barrel as a leverage . Then with my left hand put my thumb and finger on each side of the barrel touching the top of the stock . With my right hand , I carefully pushing the barrel into my hand by pushing on the short piece of RR .
Doing so only allows the barrel to move about ½ an inch before it hits my hand . The stock can move no more then that the other way .
Thus no prying on the stock and no chance of there being a spring action that will break the stock .
Just use slow steady pressure against the piece of RR . On really tight fitting barrels you just repeat the process while slowly moving your left hand down the barrel to the point the barrel pops out .

Again over all for your first attempt at this level , Looks from my end like you did a very nice job .
There are things that could use improving , but that’s to be expected and as you get more under your belt those things will also come along .
I impressed . two thumbs up .
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby petew » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:11 pm

Thanks Captchee. Without your help and encouragement I never would have got this far.
In the end I feel good about it, and I sure did learn a lot of lessons along the way. My next one will go much smoother I am sure. Getting some proper tools to inlet with will be #1 priority before I start the next one. In the end making a shootable rifle is not that difficult, what is difficult is the detailing to make a presentable rifle. Also the choice of materials/parts to use can make life either simple or difficult. I learned that the hard way on some of my pieces . This project was a mix of bits and pieces I picked up along the way that were not realy meant to go together.
Pete
Pete ward
Share your knowledge and information
www.peteward.com
petew
5X5 Bull

Postby Winter Hawk » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:15 am

Hey Pete,

That is just lovely! :77: Now we need a report on how she shoots!

~Kees~

P.s. - What's that all over your birdbath? :?:
Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Previous

Return to The Gunsmiths Workbench