Shortening a barrel ?

Dedicated to the Gunsmith and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

Shortening a barrel ?

Postby petew » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:37 pm

I picked up a CVA 28" barrel in pretty good shape, it has a drum and nipple on it. I want to shorten it up to make a 20" carbine, so the dilemma is what end to chop off.
All the spare parts, stocks ,locks, tangs etc. I have are for TC/ Lyman / Investarm type with their hooked breech/tangs. My locks are also the TC or Lyman's/Investarm which interchange. This leads me to chopping the breech end and installing a TC type 5/8 x 18 breech plug and moving the wedge to suit. Rear sight will be a TC type peep, tang mounted.
The other choice of chopping the muzzle and moving the lug seems easier for barrel work ,but more of a problem with stocks, locks tangs etc.
Any thoughts are welcome.

The other random thought is to make a short 28" full stock.
Pete
Pete ward
Share your knowledge and information
www.peteward.com
petew
5X5 Bull

Re: Shortening a barrel ?

Postby hawkthrower » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:44 pm

Wow - I think If I were thinking about shortening up a barrel I'd go for the muzzle end just to avoid the issues with re-cutting threads and getting a breach plug to seat and lineup properly......but having all the other parts would make me want to take a long look at the project.....for sure!
Is there a stock you had in mind or are you going to go for something raw and create something? I was thinking of the short full stock option for a barrel I have as well..... but the rifle is going to look a bit "different". there are not many examples of full stocks on short barrels to get an idea of the balance and form that would "look right".......can't wait to see what you come up with!
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby petew » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:58 pm

I could go with a Model 120B from Investarms or a Lyman deerstalker for the 20" idea, Image Image because I have these on hand,and can do PC or flint in them. I also have the Taps and Die to switch to the TC type breech plug.If I go short full stock , I want to make something like the Pedersoli Scout.Image. problem with the full stock is shipping one to Alberta. It costs way to much , {$86.00 just for shipping.} I need to find a junk barrel longrifle to shorten the stock on and use my barrel.
Pete ward
www.peteward.com
petew
5X5 Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:24 pm

The scout is very nice indeed. Are there no suppliers up your way? Seems like there should be something that could be done somehow...
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby petew » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:30 pm

When it comes to black powder we are hurtin. You guys are spoiled for parts and such.
Pete ward
www.peteward.com
petew
5X5 Bull

Postby Captchee » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:24 am

if the barrel happens to be the same diamiter as the standing breech on the parts you have , then i would cut from the muzzle . no need to change out the plug . the CVA tang suport should have more then enough meat on it soyou coudl cut the tang off and then file the suport on the back of the plug into a hook to fit the standing breech .
probably be much simplier to just pick you up a CVA precussion lock
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby petew » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:32 pm

Wise words from Cap again. However in this parts Void where I live, thing's are not that easy. I contemplated several ways of fitting into the tang on the stocks I have including welding a lug to the breech ,made to fit the tang. Re-shaping/ welding the lug is easy and just might be an option.
By the time I get a stock lock etc shipped north of 49 it is cheaper to order a new gun.
Pete ward
www.peteward.com
petew
5X5 Bull

Postby Captchee » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:52 am

ya im seeing the shipping issue . Im watching a B&M lock up on e-bay . the guy is alberta as well . 25.00 to ship it down here . if it wasnt for the shipping cost i would buy it at his buy it now price
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby petew » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:07 am

Many see shipping costs as a cash cow for easy profit and double or triple the actual cost.
Pete ward
www.peteward.com
petew
5X5 Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 am

Man have I seen that way too much!!!!

:shock: I just checked 5Lb from here to Alberta via USPS - $66US - ouch!!!
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to The Gunsmiths Workbench