CVA DRUM

Dedicated to the Gunsmith and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

CVA DRUM

Postby USCSURVEYOR » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:38 am

I have a CVA Bobcat barrel that needs a new Drum. I easily removed the old Drum. It is the type that screws all the way across the breech plug. It has a hole in it that lines up with the bore. All of the replacement Drums that I have seen don't screw all the way across the breech plug. Will it be O.K. to replace it with a Drum that doesn't screw all the way across the breech plug?
Thanks,
Bart
USCSURVEYOR
Spike Bull

Re: CVA DRUM

Postby Captchee » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:27 am

No . the reason is that the threads will then be exsposed to fouling wich will then migrate through the threads of the new drum .
call Dixie gun works or Deer creek .
i real sure that deer creek will have a new replacment drum.
whats the issue with your exsisting drum that it needs replaced ?
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby USCSURVEYOR » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:14 am

The previous owner put in a nipple w/o anti-sieze. It froze/welded to the drum sand has been broken off in the drum. There is an "easy-out" broken off in the remaining part of the nipple. I thought it would be easier to replace the Drum than get the "easy-out" drilled out and the broken nipple drilled out and the hole retapped.
USCSURVEYOR
Spike Bull

Postby Captchee » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:44 pm

ya i think i would lok at a new one as well
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby USCSURVEYOR » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:11 am

Thank You Very Much For Your Reply! Your knowledge, experience and advice are greatly appreciated!!!

I have another question. If I can't get the current drum drilled out, etc. and I can't find the same type replacement drum. Besides the fouling issue associated with the exposed threads, are there any structural reasons (safety) why another type drum would not work? I will probably only be shooting 80g of Pyrodex or APP w/ a patched ball or a PA Conical.
Thanks for Everything,
Bart
USCSURVEYOR
Spike Bull

Postby Captchee » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:18 am

. no real reason other then the thread issue which is a big one .
see BP in itself isnt corrosive . what is corrosive is the fouling . so once that fouling starts to build in the threads , it will corrode them . thus eventually the drum will blow because you have no way of cleaning the threads without taking it out and cleaning it every time
You should not have an issue getting a new drum . As I said deer creek still sells parts for CVA rifles . Traditions also uses the same drum design .
You could also contact Track of the wolf . They list a drum for CVA and traditions rifles . I would give them a call .

Also remember that most aftermarket drums have different threads and smaller necks .
Your will be large necked and have a metric thread count and pitch
Past that you could take your old drum down to a machine shop and have them turn one for you
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby USCSURVEYOR » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
It is GREAT to have someone with your knowledge, etc. to help!
USCSURVEYOR
Spike Bull

Postby Captchee » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:14 am

you welcome ,glad to be of help
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby USCSURVEYOR » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:09 pm

UPDATE:
I called Dear Creek. They said that I would have to ship the barrel to them and they would install a new, factory spec. drum. It would cost about $45 plus 2-way shipping (I think that was a fair price). Everyone else's drums were the replacement type that don't go all the way across the breech plug. Being cheap, I drilled out the old nipple and easy-out, and the old cleanout screw. While drilling out the old nipple and cleanout screw, the treads from the old nipple and screw came loose, so I didn't have to re-tap. I cleaned up the treads, and re-blued the drum and new cleanout screw. Now I can put in a new nipple and put it back together.
USCSURVEYOR
Spike Bull

Postby Captchee » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:23 pm

good for you , well done
just keep in mind that if your using the original threads , the niple will be a metric thread nota 1/2 28
Captchee
Global Moderator

Return to The Gunsmiths Workbench