New Dovetail for Barrel Lug

Dedicated to the Gunsmith and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

New Dovetail for Barrel Lug

Postby USCSURVEYOR » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:04 am

Is it o.k. to cut a new dovetail in a barrel at a different location for a new barrel lug? I want to change stocks and I need to move the barrel lug. If it is o.k., do I need to plug the old dovetail?

Thanks for any and all help. I know I don't post much (harldy at all), but I LOVE to read the posts.

Thanks,
Bart
(USCSURVEYOR)
USCSURVEYOR
Spike Bull

Re: New Dovetail for Barrel Lug

Postby Winter Hawk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:52 pm

There is no problem with adding a new dovetail; just don't get carried away and cut it too deep. Use the old one as a guide. I have done this by hand several times with hack saw and file, it is easier if you can find a gunsmith or machine shop to do it.... :D I would personally get a filler for the old one and file it to the barrel contour so it doesn't snag on stuff and presents a smoother appearance to the barrel, but it isn't necessary.

USC Surveyor? Like in University of South Carolina? I'm a land surveyor also, albeit retired.

Hope this helps,
-Kees-
Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby USCSURVEYOR » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks for the information!

Yes, I am a University of South Carolina grad. & surveyor. I actually graduated from Newberry College, Midlands Technical College & USC. I have been a surveyor for over 20 years. I am also a civil engineer with the SC Dept. of Trans.

Thanks Again!
USCSURVEYOR
Spike Bull

Postby Captchee » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:57 am

yep , what winter hawk said
Captchee
Global Moderator

Return to The Gunsmiths Workbench