New to me: TC Hawken 50

Dedicated to the Gunsmith and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

New to me: TC Hawken 50

Postby GreenMtnHunter » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:54 pm

I went to a gun show in early March and found this older Hawken a fellow was selling as a wall-hanger. I was glad I got there early…$150 cash and it was all mine. He knew what he had, he just was not interested on BP. Notice, it is missing the rear sight, and the cleanout screw is pretty well mated to the bolster. However, the bore is nice and there was no rust anywhere.
DSCF3009.JPG

So I stripped the stock, thinned the wrist, width ways but not much top to bottom and filed the dings off the barrel…it looked like someone unsuccessfully tried to pull the breech plug once.
IMG_0729.JPG

A vinegar bath for the barrel, I don’t know how many coats of linseed on the stock, and elbow grease in other areas….

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

BANG! I’m sure I’ll hit inside the 4 ring when I find that rear sight...
IMG_0755.JPG
The two orange marks at the bottom. The POA is dead center. Not bad for no rear sight. .49rb/.01 patch/50grns at 30yds

The more I look at it, the more I think a browned barrel would look nicer, unless I swap the brass parts for steel.
And don’t you know I just missed another one on an action site when the boss hauled me in to do some sheet rock…
Last edited by GreenMtnHunter on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAHC-LM; NRA-Instructor, Range officer, NSSA, ATA
GreenMtnHunter
Raghorn Bull

Re: New to me: TC Hawken 50

Postby TradRag » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Looking good! :applaud:
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby Captchee » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:44 pm

looks very nice from my end . ;)
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby GreenMtnHunter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks you guys!
I certainly could not have done any of it before I found this forum! :77:
GreenMtnHunter
Raghorn Bull

Postby jcporter@work » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:52 pm

The Hawken Shop or somebody like that used to carry iron replacement pieces for TC Hawkens. Haven't looked for anything like that in a long time, but when CVA first came out with their mountain rifle I bought a replacement nosecap from them that replaced the blocky pewter nosecap. I think I remember that they had other replacement parts.
"Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God" - Thomas Jefferson
or as Charlie Daniels says
"Let's ride boys ... we need a thousand Paul Reveres
jcporter@work
5X5 Bull

Postby TDMuzzler » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:04 pm

Beautiful. That gives me some ideas for the one I just picked up yesterday. However I've got a bit of barrel work to do on mine. I like your barrel! Did you simply unblue it? The wood looks fantastic! What did you use to strip down the old stain and varnish?
TDMuzzler
Spike Bull

Postby GreenMtnHunter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:38 am

Apologies for the delay, been sidetracked this summer working on a oak bed etc for a '69 C20 with my son. If you search Captchee's posts, or Grey Wolf, TradRag, Whitewolf, among others in this building section, or "French Grey", or "browned" ; you'll see what I learned....
Basically, I just lightly/fine sanded til blue and rust were removed, wrapped the barrel in what I thought looked like a damascus twist with waxed string on several and steel wire on this one; there are several options. Then I placed the barrel on a paper towels for good contact, and a real towel to retain the moisture (see Captchee's caution about mama's good linen's :lol: ), poured on the balsamic vinegar, as I like the little flecking the spices leave, (options are out there) rolled it up, and left it overnight. Later the next the next day, I gently "rubbed" it down with burlap in cold water...
Help, Captchee! What's that process called? You can search that term as well....carding?
Then I gently warmed the barrel, oiled it, (again, many options), put it in the sun, oiled it again, cleaned the bore, shot it, oiled again...
Have faith in the experience offered here(see above, well before mine) ...and that a "do-over" is no big deal, share it with your children, and others, and ENJOY!

OK...re-read you post and realized I wrote about barrels...not the stock...I rasped the areas of the stock I wanted to reshape, and then sanded everywhere else.... It's a dark walnut, and there was not much finish to remove. I had too much fun writing about and revisiting the barrel, so I didn't delete the stuff....and the parts about learning the barrel finish options apply to the stock...
GreenMtnHunter
Raghorn Bull

Return to The Gunsmiths Workbench