Righ and Left handed flintlock??

Dedicated to the Gunsmith and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

Righ and Left handed flintlock??

Postby jrmflintlock » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:48 pm

I posted on another forum so some of you may have seen this but,I have a predicament and I was wondering if anyone could help me.
I have 4 young Sons who want to start shooting Blackpowder. Two shoot Lefty and two shoot right hand. I have a little .32 cal Percussion that I was going to convert to flint because they all want to shoot flint. the two lefties have tried shooting the rifle and have had bad experience with cap flash, one in the eye, (thank goodness for safety glasses) and the other, the cap burned his arm, (not bad but enough that he will not shoot it again). I wish I could afford to build them all rifles (I will someday) but they want to shoot now.
My solution, build the little .32 with two locks, a left and a right. Not the norm or PC but at least they can shoot. They just prime the lock that suits them. The question Will it work?? I can’t imagine that it will affect accuracy because only minimal pressure will be lost, and as far as safety the gun shoots 20 grains so I can’t imagine the breach or barrel will notice the extra hole.
Let me know what you think!!
Thanks a bunch for any help!!
jrmflintlock
4X4 Bull

Re: Righ and Left handed flintlock??

Postby Captchee » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:39 pm

Thinking on this , I don’t think this will solve your problem . The reason is that with a flintlock , what you have is a vent so your still going to get a flash and gas from the lock on the shooter side
A flash guard would help the left hand shooters with a right hand gun , some but not completely . Best our come would be to get a left hand gun
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby jrmflintlock » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks. My thoughts are more on the mental side. I realize there will still be some pressure released from the right side vent, but not too much, plus it will be directed strait out. double barrel flint shooters deal with it, and the issue with cap guns ( as far as my boy is concerned) is the flash from the cap that gets buy the nipple (thats what burned his right arm). If he primed on the left the big flash from the primer will over shadow the pressure from the right. What do you think?? I just want it to be safe. Is my line of thought safe for them. I dont want them to get hurt and be afraid of the rifle. Like the one boy is now.
jrmflintlock
4X4 Bull

Postby Winter Hawk » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:03 pm

I agree with Captchee - get a second rifle with a left hand lock. Hey, that way they can shoot twice as much rather than having to share one rifle among four boys!

-Kees-
Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Shovelbuck » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:11 am

While it may "work" the stock will be extremely weak from removing all that wood for a lock on each side.
Shovelbuck
5X5 Bull

Postby jrmflintlock » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:14 pm

I guess you are right. Thanks Guys!!!
jrmflintlock
4X4 Bull

Postby Captchee » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:41 am

Its true the stock would be weaker . But really no more so then with say an Over and under .

They make flash guards for both cap locks and flintlocks . The guard directs the flash up vs. out

I would bet that what burnt your boy , wasn’t the flash from the cap . Probably a piece of the cap hit his arm and was what hit your other sons shooting glasses
The cup on the face of the hammer is there to help contain the cap and stop pieces of it from flying off
But all to often on cheaper production guns , that cup isn’t deep enough ..

With a flintlock , the largest % of the flash , is generated as the main charge goes off .
The jet that’s the result of the pressure being vented , can reach out past 5 ft .
Its acutely hot enough to catch things on fire and sting like crazy if you unlucky enough to be standing in the way .

Now lets say you place a vent on both sides of the barrel . That jet/ flash of gases and heat will now leave both sides of the barrel . There is no way to stop that from happening . Even if you closed the frizzen on the shooter side . Your still going to get this large flash surrounding the barrel .
The application for SXS , both flintlock and cap lock , is not the same as what your thinking .
See on a SXS each lock has a dedicated barrel . Thus that barrel is only vented on the lock side .

First I would get a flash guard and install it .
Second I would watch your boys and make sure that they are holding the rifle proper while shooting . Their off hand should not be along the rifle but under it .
Also when shooting from a bench rest or bags , there is no reason to hold the forearm , like one does with a center fire . Muzzleloaders , at least traditional ones , do not recoil like a center fire . They act more like a recoilless rifle in that they push strait back . Literally while shooting off hand you can just lay the forestock in the open palm of your hand . The gun will stay right there .
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby jrmflintlock » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:13 am

That all makes sence Captchee. I have been mulling it over and I am just going to build a lefty flinter, and keep the .32 a right handed flinter. I and as you said with the dedicated lock the blow out goes out perpendicular to the barrel, so risk of injury to shootoer is unlikely as they get older they will realize this and be able to shoot left and righthanded flintlocks with no issue, (aside from the distraction) I know a few of lefty shooters who shoot right handed flintlocks. I've seen Hershal House do it on a couple of videos. Its just hard to convince young boys once they get burned. My bad, I just had not had issue with it, or if I did, I don't remember.

Thanks for the insight!!

When I finish the rifle I will post pictures!!
jrmflintlock
4X4 Bull

Postby stickemsta » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:41 am

I’m a left hand shooter and own several right hand flintlocks. When shooting them I just remember to wear a long sleeve shirt or a light jacket no matter what the weather is. Even us old folks don’t like to get burned. :D
stickemsta
Raghorn Bull

Return to The Gunsmiths Workbench