Reworked Traditions Deerhunter

Dedicated to the Gunsmith and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

Reworked Traditions Deerhunter

Postby Linc » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:09 am

I just finished reworking the stock on my Traditions Deerhunter. I didn't think to take before pictures but if you look at a CVA Bobcat it is the same gun and look. I replaced the squared off rubber butt pad for a formed brass butt plate from a Kentucky rifle. I added a silver side plate and wedge plates. Then I stained the beech stock with Dixie's Antique Gun Stain. I still need to change out the ramrod with one of wood dyed to match the stock. I put in a little extra work on the trigger by repositioning the trigger in the assembly to lesson the trigger pull by about half of what it was.

Linc
4X4 Bull

Re: Reworked Traditions Deerhunter

Postby Captchee » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:17 am

looks much better then factory link .

but again there still is alot more woof that could come off thus giving far better lines
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby Linc » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:56 pm

Captchee, Where would you suggest removing more wood? Recommendations would be appreciated.
Linc
4X4 Bull

Postby hanshi » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Linc, I have had a DeerHunter for over 20 years and recently decided to do something to make it look better. I don't have a band saw, drill press, etc, so all work has to be done by shaky hands.

I started taking wood off the comb to lower it and make it look more authentic. I also plan to strip the factory finish and restain & finish as you did. On mine the trigger guard and trigger assembly are one unit; How did you handle getting another tg to work? I wanted a brass butt plate but decided the easiest step would be to put on a thick leather butt plate after removing that glued on rubber pad. Yours is the sort of look I would like to end up with. You did a fine job.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.
hanshi
5X5 Bull

Postby Captchee » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:39 pm

i would start with the comb as hanshi sugested . then the lock mortices , wrist and along each side of the tang
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby Linc » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:49 pm

Hanshi,
Mine also had the one piece trigger/guard assembly. I cut the loop off and filed down as much as possible to be as close to flush as I could get it. I punched out the tension pin from the assembly, drilled a new hole approx. 3/16" back, reinserted the tension pin into the new hole. That increased the leverage of the trigger on the sear. I will pull out the trigger assembly and take a pic of what it looks like with the modifications. I used the original trigger. I also have only hand tools to work with. Most wood removal was with a ferriers rasp and a Nicholson #49 file. It took quite a while to remove all the wood that I did. My hands aren't the best either.

Thanks Captchee. I'll probably wait a while before retackling the stock. I have another build that I will be starting on and other obligations to deal with before working on this one some more.
Linc
4X4 Bull

Postby Linc » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Hanshi, Sorry pics aren't very clear but maybe you'll get the idea. I had also drilled a second hole in the trigger 3/16" lower. I had to remove the trigger return spring.

Linc
4X4 Bull

Postby Linc » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:26 pm

Maybe this one will show more.

Linc
4X4 Bull

Return to The Gunsmiths Workbench