CVA , Jukar , Traditions restock

Dedicated to the Gunsmith and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

Re: CVA , Jukar , Traditions restock

Postby doggoner » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:09 pm

We'll be praying for you and ask for supreme guidance for your doctors.

doggoner
doggoner
Spike Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:57 pm

Thanks Captchee,

First, I hope the surgery went well and that you are on the mend. Don't push it, obey the doctor's orders!

That's a good link. Thanks for posting it! I'm still not sure how the spring is supposed to work. I understand the "over center" principle, but need a photo of how it mounts inside the cap box. Not very good at visualizing it. :roll:

Thanks again,~WH~
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby Captchee » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:28 am

well folks . Thanks for the prayers . I guess they worked because I'm some what back . The last couple weeks have been rather rough in that I'm either sleeping or so dizzy that I wish I was asleep LOL .
haven't had much pain tell a few days ago as the swelling started to go down , Now I'm feeling it in a big way . But I guess that's to be expected after 11 hours on the cutting floor .

ok I miss understood in that I thought you were looking for how to install the patch box .
when it comes to spring insulation there are many different ways . which one a person choses is dictated by how the lid is to open .
if a person is wanting the lid to open like seen on modern TC, Lyman, Investment Arms.... IE you hook your thumb nail under , Lift and at a given point the lid pops or if your wanting a release type where in order to open the lid you push on a button ......
if your looking for the first Then your going to want to use a Cam type approach like hoot owl does but doesn't really show to well . if you look at his photos you will see a plate that's soldered to the lid. at the location of the hinge that plate bends around the hinge. when closed its compressing against a spring that's down in a cavity. Because of the angle of the cam to the spring , the spring is forcing the lid closed . as the lid is opened that spring is compressed little more until the cam reaches a point against the spring where the spring then applies its pressure to force the lid open . I do it alittle different . No real reason other then that's how I was taught. regardless of how you chose to go , the important thing is that the spring has to be set at a depth and location that when the lid is closed the spring is forcing it to stay closed with enough strength that it will not easily pop open
Now if a person is used to working on the CVA , Lyman , TC....... you will find a different approach yet same principle in that they integrate the spring mounting into the patch box surround and the cam as part of the lid casting . the reason they do that is for ease of assembly both at the manufacture and in the case of assembling one of their kits . Again , same principle in that the spring is forcing the lid to stay closed until such time it is opened to a point where the Cam's moves across its center causing the spring to force the lid open over . I must admit that I have done it that way as well as it only requires a small screw to be soldered on the underside of the patch box surround and cam to be soldered to the lid . however it IMO also requires a lot thicker patch box material . IE the old type cast patch boxes vs the rolled plate boxes

here is a quick drawing . sorry , I'm still at times having issues with palsy . The top is basically what you see on the link I posed . the bottom one is how I do it . NOTE: the spring should not touch the bottom of the cavity . I didn't draw the cavity deep enough the first time. so the line you see the spring touching , should not be there
Attachments
20171218_070325.jpg
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby Full Quiver » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:09 am

Good to see you back & recovering. Will continue to pray for your recovery.
Donnie Wilson
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Full Quiver
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Thank you for the explanation, that about looks like what I need to do. The scary part is going to be cutting into a perfectly good stock! :eek:

~WH~
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby Captchee » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:03 am

thank you . ya I'm back but can only get on here about ever 3 or 4 days right now as I'm having a lot of tests ran. plus I had my first post op visits last week and they put me back in the hospital . they didn't let me go home tell yesterday .

WinterHawk.
don't worry about that . just lay your patch box out where you want it . put a couple screws in to hold it nice and tight . mark your hinge location . take everything off and gouge out the hinge location tell you get the box to lay nice and flat to the curve of stock . . now make sure the lid still opens . to much curve and it wont . the hinge will bind . in which case you either have to reduce the amount of curve or start adjusting the hinge angles on both sides so that it doesn't bind .
once you have the hinge working proper then you can screw it back down.
now make a very accurate tracing onto the stock.. once you have that start inletting . just stay inside your tracing and don't remove more then 1/2 the thickness of your stock when your removing wood for the main PB cavity itself
Captchee
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to The Gunsmiths Workbench