Youth Starter bows

Selfbows, Longbows, Recurves, Hybrids
ringo
Spike Bull
Youth Starter bows

Post by ringo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:32 pm

I have two boys that are interested in traditional style bows. They are 10 and 12 they are about #85 and 4' 10". I know very little about traditional archery though I have shot them some at camps and 4-H shoots. Part of my situation is one is left handed the other is right handed and haven't alot of money. I see some on ebay but don't know types of woods to stay away from, how much to pull or length of bow to get? I'm in NE Kansas Thanks Ringo

hairy beaver
TradRag Sponsor

Re: Youth Starter bows

Post by hairy beaver » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:20 pm

Ringo , your in the right place ,, just relearning to shoot traditional myself i can,t help much with specifics but i would suggest to stay away from the big auction site not knowing exactly what your looking for ,, there are some seriously good bowyers and trad archers here that can answer all your bow questions ,, HB
No matter where you go , There you are

LadyHawk
5X5 Bull

Post by LadyHawk » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:44 pm

Take a look at Maddog archery. Mike is an awesome guy. I shoot his Midsize recurve and midsize longbow. I am 5'. Draw length is 23". My boy shoots a Maddog pup(7 years old). He is a lefty as well. Mike makes a custom bow that will grow with your boys. American made at a great price. The pup is $95 and the midsize are under $150-200. http://www.maddogarchery.com/
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity" John Muir

ringo
Spike Bull

Post by ringo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:33 am

I should say that they would like a bow to shot fish and varmints with as well as learn with. Thanks

trapperDave
5X5 Bull

Post by trapperDave » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:47 am

Join us on my Facebook group...
Indiana hunting, fishing and trapping

Rick P
4X4 Bull

Post by Rick P » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:23 am

Board bows! Great father and son project that can be done with little experience for about $12.00! Just google "board bows" you'll get a couple of thousand hits. You could also try one of the many all fiberglass ambidextrous bows available at any "big box" type sporting goods store, thats what I started with and they are more than accurate enough to target shoot and go frog sticken with. At 10 and 12 it doesn't have to be a pretty bow, just something to get them started flinging a shaft till you know they will stick with it. Heck first bow I ever made was one of those fiberglass bike flag poles with a string tied to the ends and some duct tape as a grip/rest, made my own arrows from cattail stems.
Just this Alaskans Opinion

bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by bowdoc » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:59 am

well as bad as some make it sound I been buying and selling used bows off ebay for more then a dozen years and yes you can get a lemon sometimes but have you ever purchased a used car ? same deal do your home work first.You should be able to find some darn good starter bows off ebay as used bow prices are(again like used cars)and down a bit right now(great time to buy) also as mentioned many great bow builders are sponsors here and other sights and make fantasic entery level bows that are afordable.Myself I always sugget start with something not real expensive just in case.Good luck and keep us posted if you find something.Also if you find something and not sure or have any questions post them here and someone here will be able to help you out I know I'd be happy to if I can bd

reddogge
4X4 Bull

Post by reddogge » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:48 am

Having grandchildren and teaching them all to shoot bows gives me some insight as to what to look for. Both boys are getting big and stong enough to shoot full sized bows as far as length is concerned. My oldest grandson is 9 and is shooting an old Browning Spartan target bow I bought from a good friend for $50. It is 62" and 30# @ 28" but he probably draws only 24"-25" so he is shooting in the mid 20s. This bow is fine for him. The 12 year old may be able to handle a regular hunting bow in the 40# range with his shorter draw but certainly could handle a target weight bow up to 35# with his shorter draw. Try to find someone with a 35# bow and a 40# bow and let him draw it. Kids are stronger than you think.

Lightweight aluminum or 5/16" cedar arrow will really zip out of them and their trajectories will be flat enough to shoot 3-D. These old target bows can be had for a song on ebay or by posting a want to buy add on here or tradgang. You'll get lots of responses. I'm not talking about the top of the line classics like Bear Tamerlanes but lesser bows.

Contact Mike Shaw as he always has some good old target bows for sale and he is 100% honest and reliable.

This is 9 year old Nick shooting that 62" Browning. He's skinny but strong and athletic and handles is well.

hairy beaver
TradRag Sponsor

Post by hairy beaver » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:35 pm

bowdoc wrote:well as bad as some make it sound I been buying and selling used bows off ebay for more then a dozen years and yes you can get a lemon sometimes but have you ever purchased a used car ? same deal do your home work first. bd
Didn't mean to make it sound like a bad thing doc , i apolagise for that , i've just seen alot of bows on there with the bear name not made by bear , people that tell you first off they don't know anything about bows or the bow that theyre selling but can tell you that it has nice straight limbs ,, and how many recurves have you seen on there strung up backwards ,,, makes you wonder if they ever tried to shoot it like that ,, HB

Sapphire
5X5 Bull

Post by Sapphire » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:29 pm

You know, I build kids bows too and Mad Dogs bows are great, but there is some great advice from Bowdoc and the other Ebay suggester... YOu can pick up an old recurve bow off ebay...in the 25-35# range (maybe even a touch more) and have a great kids bow. Just look for a shorter, and lighter weight bow. The kids will be tickled...

Or...order one from myself or Mike at Mad Dog! :mrgreen:

hairy beaver
TradRag Sponsor

Post by hairy beaver » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Sapphire wrote:You know, I build kids bows too and Mad Dogs bows are great, but there is some great advice from Bowdoc and the other Ebay suggester... YOu can pick up an old recurve bow off ebay...in the 25-35# range (maybe even a touch more) and have a great kids bow. Just look for a shorter, and lighter weight bow. The kids will be tickled...

Or...order one from myself or Mike at Mad Dog! :mrgreen:
The other Ebay suggester !

Arwin
4X4 Bull

Post by Arwin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:13 am

St. Joe River Bows has a great youth bow program. Read about it at: http://stjoeriverbows.com/youth%20bow%20program.asp
"If you kill it and eat it, you are a hunter. If someone else kills it and you eat it, you are a scavenger."
St. Joe River Bows- carbon/boo "Vader" longbow
Outdoor Success Calls and Scents
MBH & MLA

ringo
Spike Bull

Post by ringo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:53 am

It looks like my youngest son whats to try a board/self long bow. Oldest son a sling shot. So I have some wood working to do. Thanks for the help.

mooseman1967
4X4 Bull

Post by mooseman1967 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:43 am

Hey ringo, I just traded a lefthand youth bow to goosebuster up here in southeast Nebraska. Why dont you send him a pm I'm sure he would be reasonable on price or do a trade. We are planning on going to the opening shoot at Big Indian Archers down at Wymore in april if thats not to far away from ya. You can also shoot me a pm if ya want to.
ps... let me know where in ne Kansas you live I sometimes travel in that area.