Rabbit Hunting

Share all your Small Game experiences here. Grouse, Squirrel, Rabbits, etc.

Rabbit Hunting

Postby crooketarrow » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:09 pm

Here in WV after JAN.rabbit seasons still in.So we keep sharp by doing a little rabbit hunting.By then it's cold this is when rabbits like to set out in the open fields and out of the thickets.They will set in very little cover[pots].
But it's not that easy theres a couple of things to look for.An open grassey field, hillside works great.This has to boarder a thicket because went jumped in these open fields by foxs coyotes,dogs etc.they only have a short burst of speed.So the cover has to be there or the rabbits won't.
Once found you must move in from the down wind side or they will smell you and be on alert.Rabbits smell is exleant.And stalk slow you must see the rabbit first.Or you will be shooting at him running.This isn't a bad thing but you won't eat many rabbits and you will lose alot of arrows.I stalk mine and shoot them in there pots.Thats seting for you non rabbit hunters.
If you like to shoot them moving get a rabbit dog.After you miss him on the jump put the dog on him[slower the better]that way when the dog brings him back around.He'll be hopping slowly.
When it snows you can add a little tracking to your stalking.It's a great way to spend a day with friends or alone as I often do.You can really get into it this way.
crooketarrow
Spike Bull

Re: Rabbit Hunting

Postby LostHawg » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:59 am

Yeah, I love me some rabbit hunting. Over here in the mesquite country I generally will hunt senderos/two tracks. They'll lay up in the ruts much like you describe. Been a long time since I've used dogs on them. The Air Force took a lot of the country out of me and I've been having withdrawals bad the last coupla years...

Hunt, Fish, Pick and Grin; Ahhh, Country Livin. ;)
LostHawg
Raghorn Bull

Postby TradRag » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:45 pm

Nice hit LostHawg!!!! Did you use a field tip?
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby Greywolf » Sun May 24, 2009 11:33 pm

Use to hunt them back in indiana with a bow, people thought I'd flipped till I started bringem back home. sure was fun.

Maybe one time I make it back to Texas, I'll have to go and make a couple days of it.

Nice shot too !! I was gonna ask how ya gottem to balance by his ears on the shaft. :rolf:
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Return to Small Game