no more chicken thief(S)!!!

Share all your Small Game experiences here. Grouse, Squirrel, Rabbits, etc.

no more chicken thief(S)!!!

Postby hawkthrower » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:09 pm

I don't know how this is going to end up but I thought I'd get it started and see where it goes.

I had a bunch of chores yesterday and I decided to let the flock out of the hen house because the wind finally had died down and the temp was up for a change (a balmy snow covered 34). It makes em happy to run in the yard, scratch and peck. Happy hens lay more eggs!... I was off feeding the other live stock and doing the other daily stuff and found I needed to go to the feed store for some supplies..... I arrived back an or so hour later to find my flock all huddled back in the hen house missing a rooster and a hen! My Daughters were both at home and when I asked them if they heard or saw anything they said the horses and dogs were upset while I was out......hummm. The culprits did however leave a easy to follow trail in the snow! Along with feathers and tracks I discovered a den less than a quarter mile from the house. Unfortunately no one was in when I came to call. I think they were out for a stroll perhaps looking for desert.

So far this pair of yote's have hit my hen house two times before and then they seem to vanish. Tracking or calling have not been successful the last two times, but the snow made it easy this time. I think calling them in isn't working because the number of homes has gone up in the area which may be making them wary. There are several large packs that run the mountain side to the west of us where there are no homes for several square miles. I have spooked them out of cover several times over the years up on the mountain and we hear them calling all year round and so far we've not had troubles. The dogs get real upset and the other livestock gets nervous sometimes when they are close, mostly we leave each other alone, the yote's seem to give my fence line a wide birth, but recently they have started steeling my chickens I guess the rabbit/squirrel/packrat populations are down.....
So tomorrow morning I'm off to visit my unwelcome neighbors and we will see what the next chapter looks like.
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: no more chicken thief(S)!!!

Postby Greywolf » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:33 pm

Set up within rifle shot of their house, use a couple of distress calls to see if you can make someone "Die" of curiosity to come out and see what all the noise is about. They might be feeding a bunch of little thieves.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby hawkthrower » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:49 am

So for the last few days I've been watching and waiting to see any sign of my unwelcome neighbors with not so much as a whisker showing. I think they just layed up long enough to enjoy the fruits of their raid in the old den and moved on to parts farther away from people..... But im not giving up yet! It's just way too cold right now to sit and wait em out when the temp is 0 and the wind is howling at 35 mph gusting to 40ish...... Burrrrr
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby TradRag » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:55 pm

Any luck?
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby hawkthrower » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:56 pm

Got em! Almost anyway........ My neighbor got one last night. I got one this morning. BUT...... There are 6 of them still running in the pack (I originaly saw only two sets of tracks)!
I'd really like to know why they have come down off the top of the mountain? It's still a mystery unless the bunny population has crashed again like it did about six or seven years ago.... Ether way I have to keep a sharp eye out for the rest of the pack and make sure the hen house is tight and the cat stays inside the house at night.....oh and theres a rifle handy by the back door!
Looks like I will have to order another two dozen hatchlings this spring as I'm now down to four hens and a rooster (I had 14 hens and 2 roosters until the yotes started ripping me off this fall). Unfortunately there won't be many eggs for the neighbors for a while.......
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:00 pm

THERE BACK! I was raided again over the last two weeks - went from 23 birds to 5!
Unfortunately I am not out at the house much other than to feed and water the live stock and sleep - Too much other stuff happening....
But now the Holidays are here and I intend on doing a bit of yote calling! I need me some new fur lined mittens and a nice fur hat! :twisted:
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:25 pm

Called'm in and wow did they come runnin! they're hungry and not afraid of people
Yote with a long bow is far more quiet than rifle or smooth bore - more a challenge too!

The pack sounds to be up to about at least 10 individuals maybe more
- got a feeling this is going to be a long winter hunting yote's !
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:17 am

Called them in again this morning - two came in loping fast - got one shot, before they saw me, head-on at about 15 yards, through a cactus....the arrow got the cactus.. not a good effort :cry: - I'm going to move my ambush spot a bit into a gap between two small juniper trees and see if I can get a better shooting lane.
I'm getting good a calling em in they run up like its dinner time! I think I may go out again later this morning and take a walk up the trail. Try and set up someplace near the top of the mountain and see if I can call them in again.........
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby TradRag » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:16 pm

Pics? I've been itching to get out and do it.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby hawkthrower » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:57 am

Going out again today - there are 4 dens on a neighbor's property about 1/4 mile north of my place. He said he thinks there are 12 - 18 running in at least three packs now.....
Yep! we have a bit of an issue.....
Another neighbor from up the road came by last night for some leather work - said hes carrying a pistol out to feed his livestock! Seems they aren't afraid of coming right up into the corrals! He's waiting to nail one or two before they get his turkeys.
Pics coming......
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to Small Game