.45 for bushy tails?

Share all your Small Game experiences here. Grouse, Squirrel, Rabbits, etc.

.45 for bushy tails?

Postby jrmflintlock » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:12 pm

I know that the .45 longrifle has long been known as a "squirrel" rifle but I am a little leary about throwing such a size ball up in the air. In the old days there were not as many folks in the woods and the woods were a bigger place. Any thoughts? My .45 flinter loves 80 grains of FFF I have not tried a lighter load but any recomendations??
jrmflintlock
4X4 Bull

Re: .45 for bushy tails?

Postby Shovelbuck » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:13 pm

Try a much lighter load. It's not like you are going to be shooting 75 yards for them. see how it works.
I load my .54 down to 30 grains for squirrel and rabbit. 20 yard and closer shots are meat in the pot.
Shovelbuck
5X5 Bull

Postby Full Quiver » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Like Shovelbuck said try cutting your load down. I also shoot 30 gr. on my 50 cal. for squirrels.
I have always had reservations about shooting skyward with any rifle so I just wait till they come down the trunk of the tree or under a big limb so I have a backstop.
And that 50 cal. hole makes them easy to put on a stringer.
Donnie Wilson
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Full Quiver
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:49 pm

Bark the squirrels, works great with a .45 save a lot of meat and takes the Umpph out of the load shooting skyward.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby jrmflintlock » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:59 pm

I am not sure I understand what "bark" means. There are not very many squirrel hunters in New Mexico (More for me !!!).. I usualy get odd looks from folks when I tell them thats what I'm Doing. I have shot many with a .22 and also a few with a .32 percussion but I have this .45 flinter that I want to use. Can you guys explain "Bark" to me a little better. I don't want to mess up the meat cause they is some fine tasting critters !!!
jrmflintlock
4X4 Bull

Postby Full Quiver » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:08 pm

"Barking" a squirrel from what i understand, feel free to correct me if I am wrong, is to shoot the branch directly beneath where the squirrel is located and the shock from the bullet impact kills the squirrel.
The last time I tried to bark a squirrel I apparently misjudged the limb density as the ball went through the 1 1/2" diameter limb and the squirrell :shock: Now I downsize the load and shoot them while on the trunk of the tree.
Donnie Wilson
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Full Quiver
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby jrmflintlock » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:47 pm

Thats kinda what I figured but one question is, do you still want to aim more less where the head should be? What if you have a clear shot at the head? I guess with a bigger caliber you would still try to Bark it?? That just goes against my hunting instincts to not shoot at a target I can see..

The Thing with the squirrels I hunt is they are usualy only in mature Pine stands which can have some tall trees some of which can be 2 ft in diameter at the base and have limbs that are 8 inches up where the squirrels are, and... and... they can be really, really Tall !!!!!

And... And.. There is almost always a deer or elk hunt going on so there are people and camps all over...
jrmflintlock
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:41 pm

Yep that's barking squirrels, suppose to be upper third of the limb to blow up and the limb destroys the ribs and lung area killing it instantly.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Buzzard » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:55 pm

BARKING IS FOR DOGS!!!!! If ya ain't a good enough shot to kill'em clean, STAY HOME!!
Buzzard
Spike Bull

Postby jcporter@work » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:14 pm

From the couple I've tried barked, it may be harder than actually aiming at the squirrel. According to what I've been taught you're trying to avoid a body hit with a bullet and we try to hit just under the head. Works better for me if they're on the trunk of the tree. For me, it's easier to aim for a head shot than to try to hit close enough to kill them with a piece of flying bark.
"Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God" - Thomas Jefferson
or as Charlie Daniels says
"Let's ride boys ... we need a thousand Paul Reveres
jcporter@work
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:11 pm

But if ya shootem in the head you ruin the heads for Squirrel head gravy ...... Who let the dogs out? You have to be a much better shot to bark a squirrel anyway, bark or stay home

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby jcporter@work » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:52 am

Nothing impresses an inexperienced hunter more than barking a squirrel out of a tree. First one I did was in front of my brothers. When the squirrel hit the ground with without a bullet hole in it they couldn't figure it out.
jcporter@work
5X5 Bull

Postby eddie c » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:24 am

anyone ever 'barked' one, put it in the bag only to found out later it was just knocked out? :shock:
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby jcporter@work » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:21 pm

I did have a dead one run off while I was walking to another tree. This one fell dead at the bottom of a tree and I stopped at another tree before swinging by to pick it up. Layed there maybe 2-3 minutes before coming to and leaving. Glad it was still on the ground and not in my coat. It would be about like when one of my hunting partners went to slit a buck's neck only to have it come to while he was standing over it. The deer had run in sight of my stand before "dying". The deer got up and ran off without teh guy getting hurt but I about fell out of my tree laughing.
jcporter@work
5X5 Bull

Return to Small Game