Off-season small game

Share all your Small Game experiences here. Grouse, Squirrel, Rabbits, etc.

Off-season small game

Postby born2hunt » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:22 pm

Alright, I'll get it started here.

Even though I hunt grouse during our Sept big game seasons, I hunt nearly year-round. Winter finds me trying to arrow Snowshoe Hare and Coyotes. Spring brings turkeys and Bowfishing for Carp. In summer I hunt foam targets and later, I hunt marmot. Squirrels can be found around here, but the larger Albert's are getting harder to find so I leave them alone.

Small game hunting probably accounts for 80% of my hunting. It's challenging and rewarding for me and my family and shortens the time between big game seasons.

I'm heading out this weekend for snowshoe, anybody else chasing the smaller critters in the off-season?
Good Huntin' Image
born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Re: Off-season small game

Postby Rick P » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:20 am

I would have to agree that most of my hunting is small game. From ducks to marmot and grouse nothing keeps your skills sharper than small game. I particularly like hunting marmot as they are very hard to sneak up on, great table fare and since they share the same environ as Dall sheep they make a wonderful training hunt. You can even make bacon out of the little guys late in the fall.
Just this Alaskans Opinion
Rick P
4X4 Bull

Postby TradRag » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:57 am

I haven't hunted rabbits since my youth and my boy is just getting the the point where he is ready to harvest an animal with his longbow (21#s at his draw). We have been talking about Squirrel, Rabbit, and .... Armadillo. He is practicing for our Spring Turkey hunt and thinks he can pull a heavier poundage by then.

Has anyone taken a Pheasant with Trad gear? I have a picture but have never tried.
PheasantBow.jpg
FluFlu Pheasant
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby born2hunt » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Rick - I agree about marmot. They really make a guy bear down on his stalking skills, then you got to hit them right. That's not to mention the rocks they live in!!

TradRag - Not many pheasants around here. I would love to chase them with bird points or some of those wicked turkey heads.
Good Huntin' Image
born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Postby Rick P » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:40 pm

Tradrag
I used to hunt them when I was a kid back in Michigan. Most of the harvests where from the back of a tractor with a shot gun but more than a few birds were taken with a bow. Most of our successful shots where on grounded birds but I have wing shot ducks and I try to get after pheasants when I visit family. I find I have a lot of near misses with them and go home with mostly tail feathers and a big grin!

Interesting note someone "accidentally" released a few pheasants in Homer and Alaska seems to have a feral population.......might have to bring the bow next time I run down there for a Halibut trip.
Rick P
4X4 Bull

Postby standingstone » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:49 am

I would love to hunt small game with my bow aka rabbits and squirrel. For rabbits wouldn't you need a dog??? Squirrel hunting sounds like it would be fun but I can't seem to put down the flint lock during that season.

The pheasant deal. This really bums me out to see all the ring necks all over except here in Pa. Good lord thier is even some in alaska :shock: . I can honestly say that I am 32 years old and have hunted since I was 12 and I have never seen a truely wild ring neck.
standingstone
Raghorn Bull

Postby david32cal » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:36 pm

like born2hunt, 80 to 90 percent of my hunting is for small game, squirrels mostly, not many rabbits around here anymore.during deer season if i aint having any luck i'll go out and shoot a few squirrels just to make myself feel better.actually i would probably rather hunt squirrels over any other game,just lots of fun and plenty of action. flintlocks only of course :D
Attachments
016.JPG
009.JPG
007.JPG
Mo. State Rep. for the Traditional Muzzleloading Association, Member #277
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tounge"
david32cal
Spike Bull

Postby TradRag » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:44 pm

david32cal, That is GREAT STUFF Man!!!! Good Shootin' :!: :!:
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby Rick P » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:29 pm

Standingstone

My wife and I just got back from a visit to homer and I don't think there is going to be many pheasants left in the spring. It's been a cold year in south central Alaska. Came home to -30 and no power.

Rabbits like any other game can be stalk hunted, it requires a sharp eye and more walking than hunting with dogs but I find it more challenging and fun. Kids on a pair of snow shoes make great "substitute hounds" as well, just have them walk the brush several yards back on either side of a trail and move as a scrimmage line. Always stay within line of sight of the kids to insure safety! The Rabbits will spook from the noisy kids across the trail giving you your shot. As David has posted a 32cal is nearly the perfect small game gun and a major hoot as well.
Rick P
4X4 Bull

Postby gameslayer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:56 pm

I am mostly deer and turkey hunter now but you guys are givin me the fever.
gameslayer
4X4 Bull

Postby Bushman452 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:15 am

david32cal wrote:like born2hunt, 80 to 90 percent of my hunting is for small game, squirrels mostly, not many rabbits around here anymore.during deer season if i aint having any luck i'll go out and shoot a few squirrels just to make myself feel better.actually i would probably rather hunt squirrels over any other game,just lots of fun and plenty of action. flintlocks only of course :D

Awesome use of the flintlock; makes me want to join in. Unfortunately last year the harvests were a little poor but I got a great feeling this year.
Bushman452
Spike Bull

Postby mountainrifle » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:43 pm

cool picture with the pheasant and the arrow!nice squirells david
I love the smell of Blackpowder in the mornin'
mountainrifle
5X5 Bull

Postby hairy beaver » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:45 pm

TradRag wrote:
Has anyone taken a Pheasant with Trad gear? I have a picture but have never tried

I've tried several times but have only busted one rooster , only thing I've found tougher is quail ,, either they are to fast or i'm to slow ,, still tryin to figure that one out ,, and yes for pheasant i use the wire clover leaf shaped tip ,,, HB
s7_412354_imageset_01.jpg
s7_412354_imageset_01.jpg (10.35 KiB) Viewed 6367 times
No matter where you go , There you are
hairy beaver
TradRag Sponsor

Return to Small Game