This is a close call !!!

Discuss you Big Game adventures here. Moose, Sheep, Bear, etc.

This is a close call !!!

Postby Greywolf » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:31 am

and I might be violating the rules here, so as long as I'm upfront and don't post the video, I should be ok. This is not a traditional Kill ! As you know I'm not a staunch traditionalist, it doesn't matter to me..
rifle shotgun, muzzleloader, pistol, bows, slingbow or what ever.

Earlier today, I got a call from >>>---DW---->>>, he ask what I was up to and I said I'm heading to the ranch to do some damage control hunting. we have a influx of hogs right now and the numbers need to be reduced.
so he said can I tag along and run the camera for you? well, sure why not. he ask where we'd be hunting tonight and I said the "Pit" but we would have to hunt out of the ground blind cause the condo camo netting and stuff got all torn up from the last storm and just plain neglect. I told him since both of us would be in there I was taking the "C" tonight. he was welcome, but it would be a tight fit.

We agreed to meet at 2 here at the cave and we'd go in my truck. Just as planned he was here right on time, kinda anxious too.
now sometimes, I like to embellish the story to make it interesting, but guys, it was 3 hours and 48 minutes of just plain boredom and sore butt sitting. chickens finally came in and broke up the long sit.

Finally it was time for the feeder to go off on it's own, it sprang to life at 5:35 right on time, and chickens galore were there waiting ! They must have a internal chicken that is close to Atomic time, they were unreal with
there timing. Still nothing showed, I told Dave, I was going to leave at 6 no matter what. So he agreed, as we sat there, it was one of those days feelings, just nothing is gonna show.
Well the feeder once again at 5:53 sprang to life, it was crunch time. 3 minutes left and had already pulled the arrow off the string and set the bow down beside me in the blind.
It was just a matter of 120 seconds till I started to unzip the blind....an dave sat forward and said there he is, the boar I have written about, the one that is always there waiting when I try to come in, the chickens bust me and he leaves with them... yeah that hog !!

This time, he just came like a freight train down the hill and right into the middle of the "Pit" like he didn't have brakes and ran into the "Pit" to stop himself. he then turned and faced towards the hill and hog after hog kept filing into the "Pit" area I think the count was 10 in all. it was hard to tell, we were hip deep in hogs , one nice black one had a nice razorback look to him as he posted int the area looking all bad at himself.

Dave turned on the Iphone and started to video, We watched the main target move left,right,forward,and stay in a no shot position, finally he razed a couple of the hogs on the left side and then made the fatal mistake of turning and walking broadside in to the "Pit". he turned dead away, but that was just a quick maneuver, which proved to be fatal for him. the Nocturnal lit up the evening area like a rocket streaking towards space , except it was on a flatline trajectory towards the hog. With a resounding smack the arrow found it mark and everything broke loose the big hog exploded out of the "Pit" with one huge leap, which made the Nocturnal nock show it was a perfect hit.

The woods fell silent in 10 seconds and Dave said , hear him crashing? he's trying to climb into your truck. then it was silent.
we gathered our stuff and I walked over to where the hog came out of the water, there was my broken shaft about 20 inches with the Snuffer covered in blood as well as the complete shaft. the blood trail wasn't hard to follow at all, no need to bend over and search, just shine the light and follow the trail.

Remember what you've always been told by the "Experts"? Mortally hit animals, go down hill and seek out water... well it seems like Hawaiian hogs didn't get to read the book. there was no time he went down hill except when he died he rolled down hill about 4 feet and came to rest against a tree..

We got the hunt on Video, so this is where I'll post the link to where the video is, if you want to see it, please go for it. Like I said, I'll hunt with anything anywhere any time, as long as I'm hunting.

The shot comes at 1:48 so be ready, it all happens fast.

http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?vid ... 4664887993
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: This is a close call !!!

Postby eddie c » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:28 am

"Remember what you've always been told by the "Experts"? Mortally hit animals, go down hill and seek out water... well it seems like Hawaiian hogs didn't get to read the book. there was no time he went down hill except when he died he rolled down hill about 4 feet and came to rest against a tree.."

he was going downhill and to water ............. on the other side of the island. :rolf:

good job and nice video.
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:03 am

Great job Greywolf! Congratulations. Where is the hero picture? :applaud:
K.C. Kreger
SW Rep Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Custom Leathercrafter
www.swingingkdairygoatfarm.com
"Democracy is two wolves and a
lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well armed
lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby Greywolf » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:46 am

Here is the "back at the house picture" >>>---DW---> has the others on his IPhone
Attachments
579621_10151314677197993_1331863672_n.jpg
600656_10151314675887993_58824368_n.jpg

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Sneakon » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:14 pm

Sweet! Nice shot. Good video. Big hog.
"The habits of a vigorous mind are formed in contending with difficulties." Abigail Adams

Sneakon
Sneakon
4X4 Bull

Postby zeek from coon creek » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:40 pm

PIG MURDERER!!! Cool video, that luminock is great. Nice pig, great shot. I have to tell you that I seriously envy you living and hunting in such a paradise.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Postby >>>---DW---> » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:24 pm

That Hog sure looks smaller with you in the picture! :rolf: That was one heck of a shot. The autopsy showed both lungs and the top of the heart! All Snufferized! I must say Greywolf did a awesome job of waiting for the right moment, he drew back a total of three times and each one was a long hold. There was so many obstacles, most of them were other Hogs. I wish I had a mic for my Nikon, I would have much better video, this was just shot with my IPhone 5. Thanks again Greywolf for letting me tag along to watch the Mastah at work! :77:
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:46 pm

Dave, we'll have a couple of brews and talk over some places to put up another stand or blind. As you see the area to hunt in is close to horses so they have the total rights on the property so maybe something back up farther from the direction the hogs came from might be something to put another blind.

On the other side of that huge ridge is a whole valley of that cat claw, That nasty arm ripping stuff we had to skirt around to get to the hog. last thing I want or need is to get into that at night. it makes for lots of blood.

It was fun that's for sure

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:48 pm

zeek from coon creek wrote:PIG MURDERER!!!

:eek: I resemble that remark !!!!! :dance: :rolf: :lol:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:24 am

Greywolf wrote:Dave, we'll have a couple of brews and talk over some places to put up another stand or blind. As you see the area to hunt in is close to horses so they have the total rights on the property so maybe something back up farther from the direction the hogs came from might be something to put another blind.

On the other side of that huge ridge is a whole valley of that cat claw, That nasty arm ripping stuff we had to skirt around to get to the hog. last thing I want or need is to get into that at night. it makes for lots of blood.

It was fun that's for sure

Sounds good. I have another feeder, ground blind, and a trail cam. I still have my climbing treestand too. We should be able to do some more 8-)
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby zeek from coon creek » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:52 pm

By the way Greywolf, did you get your new Schrade drop point bloody?
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:58 pm

zeek from coon creek wrote:By the way Greywolf, did you get your new Schrade drop point bloody?

No Sir I did not, It still has a factory edge on it at 28 degrees I need to draw file it and change it to a 22 degree angle, just haven't been to the Home depot to get a new Mill basterd file. I'll do that this week.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Return to Big Game