Started the New Year right.....

Discuss you Big Game adventures here. Moose, Sheep, Bear, etc.

Started the New Year right.....

Postby Greywolf » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:14 pm

..with a double, Saturday after noon near the edge of the riding field. The hogs had torn this place up. Big time !!!
It looked like a run-away rototiller got loose and was reeking havoc.. We have seen a few hogs, both large and the smaller hogs rooting along the weed line near the edge.
The wind was perfect and the rain during the night made the approach along the field silent. Sure glad the smaller hogs paid us no attention, they would see us, we'd stop they would start back eating and rooting totally unaware of the danger lurking just a mere 35 yds away.

My heart sank when slowly I rose to see where they were and saw NOTHING !! Oh man, did they see us? wind us? or just use that great 6th sense that danger was close? Slowly by slowly closing the distance with pain staking knee crawling slowness, I had reached the edge of the clearing exactly where I wanted to be. The tall weeds were in large clumps so it made a perfect natural blind, only problem was..... I couldn't shoot through it and around the side would put me in full view. Crawling on hands and knees on the wet ground I made it to the front of the weeds and decided to use them as my background instead of a blind. All I have to do now is wait..........thankfully it was a short wait I could see and smell the hogs moving the weeds, I had already did the ansy knee movements getting the knees to dig in for the shot(you know what I mean that.... fidgety movement)

The #82 sow just walked 3 steps into the clearing and turned to root on a clump of weed that held the worms they were seeking, guess I went into auto kill mode, I do however remember thinking theres a good angle, and I see my spot, as fast being shot with a rifle the hog just dropped WHOA !!! THAT'S GREAT! She did the back leg quiver and rolled slightly on her side !! Daaagone this bow packs a wallop, or I just put the arrow in the lucky spot and dropped it like a wet sack of Potatoes.

Don't know, don't care.... Ham Slam #1 Done !

I was still shaking when a large hog walked out, I mean BIG !! and Tan and hairy..... but he didn't like what he saw or smelled and back inside the weeds he went.......Oh well.... Then the #117 black sow walked out and walked around the dirt napping hog without a care in the world...that was her fatal mistake........or so I thought.... the thought of death was there... but not in my arrow that sailed harmlessly over the top of her....WHAT THE....
Well, did ya pick a spot? what spot?...ahhhh. problem number one Identified !!
Now for problem two.. She wasn't spooked, but she wasn't in a shot position any more either......... more waiting.. after an hour(bout a minute in reality) she again offered the the Mark shot, this time the shot was dead on the money !! Right where I was looking. She bolted into the corner of the field and went down... 2 New Years day hogs and me all excited. What a Day !!!! What a Start to the New Year !!

I didn't have my camera with me (like most of the time) so in no time at all, Rick was driving along the edge of the field in full 4 wheel drive with a concerned look on his face, Well..... he made it to here, so the trip back should be hopefully uneventful too.... which it was. A quick 15 minute trip over the mountain and we were at the house and unloading hogs.

Here's a pic of the two unlucky sows that, will grace someone table in the near future.

Now, The Tan one is on my Radar, He's big and Maybe might even grace the wall of the living room with the couple other fine trophies I have there.
Attachments
IMG_0555.JPG
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Started the New Year right.....

Postby Olschool » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:26 pm

All right!! Great way to start the year off :77: :applaud: :applaud:
Olschool
5X5 Bull

Postby eddie c » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:28 pm

:77: :applaud: :dance:
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby stickandlimb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:36 pm

good job... :77:
Its all mind over matter..If you don't mind it don't matter.......
stickandlimb
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:03 am

And today not a hog in sight anywhere, but the feeders were being pounded.... Plan B for tomorrow evening..... :applaud:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Full Quiver » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:32 pm

Excellent!!! :applaud:
Donnie Wilson
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Full Quiver
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:11 pm

A dead battery and a late start put a hold on Plan B :x

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Olschool » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:03 pm

Greywolf wrote:A dead battery and a late start put a hold on Plan B :x

Was that dead battery in the truck, feeder, or :roll: yours :rolf:
Olschool
5X5 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:48 pm

I ain't laughin'......... :rolf:
Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:09 am

In the truck, glad it was only about a mile walk to get a new one. One very nice lady took pity on me and gave me a ride back to my truck.

All the hogs have went Nocturnal, I haven't seen a hog in the hours of daylight, couple riders said they saw hogs......

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Jesse Minish » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:18 pm

Great job! Thats some great eating you got there!
Jesse Minish
4X4 Bull

Postby TradRag » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:01 pm

you got your bird seed out?

:applaud: CONGRATS on the first two!
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby KsBow » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Well done Mark! I love chasing piggies. :applaud: :archer2:
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:27 am

Set a trap yesterday afternoon, where I saw 5-6 smaller hogs (maybe #20). Tonight I was on my way to set the "PIT" tonight when I met a rider that said, "Did you see all the hogs in that trap?" I said no, but my partner is checking right now, just then my phone rang. It was Rick, there were 6 pigs in the trap,Must be all of the ones I saw in the field. Well I decided to go check the PIT anyway,
I stalked into the PIT area and was busted by a Farm Chicken, when it flew, a #120 hog ran back towards my direction and stopped about 16-17 yards away, she/he or it had no I idea I was there, slowly I got the arrow on the string, when I raised the bow as slow as I thought I could...... I WAS BUSTED. it just walked off through the thick brush sounding off as it left. Oh well, guess I should go help rick.

We were removing the pigs taping the legs and hog tying them, when I looked up and saw a huge hog in that "Hamp Trot" heading our way it was coming to the sound of the squealing pigs, at 20 yds it veered off and disappeared in the brush. One the last pig out of the trap, another reddish boar came across the field zig zagging towards us, at 30 yards it caught our scent and it was like, I'd smacked it on the Arse with a board he was moving that fast.

The fellow arrived to take the pigs away, we loaded them in his truck and headed out. well, a almost a shot, 2 other hogs sighings... it was a good night. Tomorrow I'll be at the "PIT" allot earlier, and if that big hog wants to come back, I'll be set up with the video camera tomorrow, might see some action, ya never know !!

Nice record so far this year 2 killed, 8 trapped, 4-6 real nice hogs still roaming the ranch... Oh yeah what a year !!!!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Winter Hawk » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:54 pm

Where the heck are you at? From the t-shirt and background it looks like Hawaii, or did you go to the Mainland somewhere (Texas?) to slaughter piggies? Anyway, did you dig an imu for at least one of those in the photo?

-WH-
Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:15 am

Aloha WinterHawk

Yes, I have the pleasure of living in Hawaii. Been here for over 30 yrs. We have the pleasure of being able to Hunt 365 here. We have Goats, Sheep, Mouflon Sheep, Black Tailed Columbian Deer and Axis Deer. Our birds are Plentiful to, of the 21 game birds we have 17 of them here to include the Rio Grande Turkey. But Bird season is limited to weekends and State holidays from the First Saturday in Nov to the 3rd Sunday in January.

The rest of the time it's 7 days a week for the other game mammals. some Game areas are 365.

No I don't do a Imu, too time consuming. Most of the meat I donate to needly families and our church and soon be taking meat to the outer Island to trade for Axis deer meat. I caretake a couple of ranches here on Oahu, So between my job and Game Management I keep pretty busy.

These ladies were digging along a riding field which gave me the distraction I needed to get close.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby hanshi » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:20 pm

Congratulations. Strange but I use to live in hog heaven down in Ga but never hunted them though a friend did. It has to set your nerves on edge. :archer:
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.
hanshi
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:00 pm

hanshi wrote:Congratulations. Strange but I use to live in hog heaven down in Ga but never hunted them though a friend did. It has to set your nerves on edge. :archer:

Yep...... that's why the second arrow went to parts unknown LOL :77:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Return to Big Game