Time to go set......

Discuss you Big Game adventures here. Moose, Sheep, Bear, etc.

Time to go set......

Postby Greywolf » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:58 pm

a new feeder and do some scouting.
Lot of hogs, big and small have invaded the ranch.
Maybe I can get some fresh meat and do some tradin on Lanai for Venison when I go.

I love days like this..... :applaud:
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Time to go set......

Postby Greywolf » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:30 am

If I were keepin score, I'd say it was hogs 3....Nah...hogs 5..... hunter zero. Seems like when I carry a bow I see nothin, it don't matter when or where they disappear.... We'll today, I decided I'd carry a bow even if I had to carry the feeder a ways set it down and walk back and get the bow.... Daggonit I was carrying... and so I did. not to bad actually, Still do alright for a double knee surgery,bad back fellow !!! I did well !!

As I already knew where I was going to set the feeder, the scouting part would be the last thing I'd do so I could enjoy the rest of the walk-a-bout. A few set backs who says big tree's won't fall over !! but I gotter done !! As I lifted the #50 sack onto my shoulder, I had the misfortune to have a 2 inch in Diameter perfectly round 14-15 inch long (with wheels no less) stick laying between me and the open feeder bucket. I had almost made it to the bucket when the little slip occurred, along with the dug out area the hogs from a pervious time provided I did a grace....... Ok Ok Ok, not so graceful drop to one knee, which happen to be the side the corn was on..... ok ya see where I'm heading right? I tried to curl my arms over my head and over the bag too.... knowing..... there was going to be a feast for the hogs tonight of unbelievable proportions if I didn't. As the slow motion event unfolded, I had a good feeling that I was 99.9999% certain no one with only two legs was going to witness this.

As I laid there, I felt no extreme pain, that was a good thing..... I got up and ....yepper !! I looked to make sure no one saw it !! ya betcha !!!

Well this is where 2-0 comes into play, The commotion stopped two #50-#70 hogs dead in there track, they stood soo still..... I almost didn't see them. ok picture this me on one knee trying to get up, two hogs thinking so this is how the died aye? no tripod legs to help me get up (I tied the feeder between two trees) I decided to crawl over to the bow, so I did, grabbed an arrow,snapped it on the string spun and came to full draw..... the hogs had seen enough 3 seconds before and were well on their way out..... I sailed the arrow harmlessly into a Hau limb not 20 yds away Dead on the money !!!! Not! but it sounded good huh?

I got back to the feeder scooped up a couple hands full of spilled corn, hoisted the bag up and dumped the rest into the bucket. I put the lid on gathered up my gear and started to walk up the path. only you and I know !!

I got on the horse trail and walked 3/4 s of the way around, as I looked back over my back trail, I saw 3 hogs skirt over the trail back about 60 yds. I knew they waited till I had passed. the wind was wrong to try anything that resembled trying to get back to them. but there are hogs there... so I'll wait. after all I am a bowhunter, I have a lot of patience.

as I reached the truck, a female rider rode up and said there's 2-3 pigs on the trail on the other end of the loop trail just milling around................Really?
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Time to go set......

Postby eddie c » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:03 am

no smart comments here, just a :mrgreen:
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to Big Game