It was a perfect evening..(Pic added)

Discuss you Big Game adventures here. Moose, Sheep, Bear, etc.

It was a perfect evening..(Pic added)

Postby Greywolf » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:36 pm

stalking in to hunt the Pit last night. 20 yds from the Pit, a huge black boar stands up and scares the beejeevies outa me, never realized the Pit was that deep. he was just relaxing, waiting in the soft cool mud waiting on the feeder to go off.
1 other hog was in with him by the time I realized the black spot on the edge wasn't a root, and was actually a hogs head, he busted me as I tried to sneak in on the big boar for a 12-15 yd close shot, one grunt and it was Game over silly boy !!

I Made my way over to the platform and climbed up for a nice quiet sit at the platform. after the feeder went off the second time, I had 9 or 10 ( more like 20 but I didn't count'em :P ) hogs from every direction start to the Pit. I have one behind me workin down the hill, I have 1-3 off to my left, figger they will hit my scent and move off, hopefully quietly in the process.

I have 2 to my right at 2 and 3 oclock coming down the hill being able to see the platform in plain view, and then I have a #90 -#100 spotted boar rush the Pit, he just acted like nothing was wrong and wanted his share of the golden nuggets first and that he did.

The action continued till i could stand it no longer, the spotted one is glued in a quartering away angle and there's a perfect black spot I can use as my aiming point. Slowly I started to stand.... the pain in my knees, I'd just have to deal with I was in commitment mode, I was ON THE RISE !! no popping or loud cracking of old achin joint betrayed my position. Oh it felt good !!

This could be a hog skinnin night for sure... I slowly started to raise my bow, my focus was on the black spot, it was getting a little dark, but having a whitish/tan hog sure helps at last light, I just started tension on the string, when from 6 - 8 feet right behind me a #60 hog let out a "YOUR BUSTED GRUNT" in a very loud way.

In a split second.... 6 hogs disappeared, my heart stopped and I wondered if I needed to change my beeveedees before the trip back to the house. There were hogs goin in every direction, then as if on cue they all stopped... Nothing moved... couple of what the heck happened grunts came from up on the hill.

I was still frozen in fear and wonder... I could see black blobs moving like ghosts through the woods, but none were moving towards the Pit. I figgered since it was now even darker and the shades of evening were steady on the move to my little piece of paradise, I'd get down and see if I can get outta there without scaring every hog on the windward side away as I left.

I ghosted by the Pit and glanced towards the hillside, black blobs were moving, but more in a no real direction kinda way. I made my way to the edge of the woodline and found a couple hogs goin in the same direction as I was, I could see weeds moving I waited till they were well out of my "close encounter way" and made my way back to the truck.
All in all it was a good evening. I saw plenty of hogs, there are some big hogs there and a few waiting to get bigger hogs too.

Maybe next time one will be coming home for dinner with me, till then I still smile at how I jumped when that hog grunted, "YOUR BUSTED DUDE"... I know he did that on purpose....
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: It was a perfect evening..

Postby eddie c » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:57 am

:mrgreen:
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby TradRag » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:21 am

DANG IT! Not had a hog encounter like that but I've had a doe snort from behind me when I was drawing on a nice buck. I never knew she was there or I lost track of her. I know the feeling.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby Greywolf » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:47 pm

He was as big as I thought when he stood up the other night at the Pit, last night was his last, he was one hairy stinky buggar and huge too.....

I almost forgot to take a pic of him..

His tusk weren't that big but they were gnarly

The right side was broken and growing into the roof of his mouth...

You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: It was a perfect evening..(Pic added)

Postby highnoonhunter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:44 am

Congrats Greywolf!
But first, before you can blow the bugle horn, or follow the hounds, you must be content to chase the woodpecker.
~Maurice Thompson-1878~

www.highnoonhunterleatherworks.webs.com
highnoonhunter
TradRag Sponsor

Postby >>>---DW---> » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:28 am

That is a hairy beast!... and it looks like it killed a boar. :applaud: :rolf:
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby eddie c » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:29 am

WEEE DOOGGGYYY!! what ya shoot'un with?
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby TradRag » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:52 am

AWESOME! One day I need to come a visit so I can see the PIT!!! Congrats! :archer:
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby highnoonhunter » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:57 am

TradRag wrote:AWESOME! One day I need to come a visit so I can see the PIT!!! Congrats! :archer:

I was thinking the same thing! Can I hitchhike from here???
But first, before you can blow the bugle horn, or follow the hounds, you must be content to chase the woodpecker.
~Maurice Thompson-1878~

www.highnoonhunterleatherworks.webs.com
highnoonhunter
TradRag Sponsor

Postby eddie c » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:16 am

highnoonhunter wrote:
TradRag wrote:AWESOME! One day I need to come a visit so I can see the PIT!!! Congrats! :archer:

I was thinking the same thing! Can I hitchhike from here???

part way by bus, the rest by train. :rolf:

i got that saying from hearing about a woman talking about going to Hawaii. someone asked her if she was going by plane or boat. she replied seriously 'Oh no, I get seasick and I'm afraid the plane will crash. I plan to go by bus to the coast and the rest by train.'
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to Big Game