The Hogs are back...** Pics added**

Discuss you Big Game adventures here. Moose, Sheep, Bear, etc.

The Hogs are back...** Pics added**

Postby Greywolf » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:04 pm

and in big fashion too.
Yesterday we were hanging a new feeder and had 4 hogs within 10 minutes come cruising by the "Stands".
Couple of them even stood and watched in the Hau to see what we were doing. When we hit the test button the feeder sprang to life and the hogs started to walk in.
We backed off and let them come in but they saw us on the trail up the hill aways and walked back to the Hau and just watched us.

The hogs ranged from #30 to #70 so they are good eating size....Oh yeah....... :dance:

Hopefully some LDPs will be posted soon.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: The Hogs are back...

Postby >>>---DW---> » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:04 pm

:mrgreen:
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:24 pm

Now that the feeders have been filled and a couple of feeding cycles have happened, Maybe this evening I'll go set the Pit and see if anything wants to come in for dinner.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:21 am

Ah sorry Mark, wanted to go "fill the sky with holes" today but I had to hold down the couch for a while before picking the Wife up from the airport.
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Newkirk Jerry » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:41 am

Where's the pic's?? I expected to see fresh pork on here this morning.
Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:32 pm

Newkirk Jerry wrote:Where's the pic's?? I expected to see fresh pork on here this morning.

Maybe be sometime this week, I'm in no rush, I am anxious to get there, but I want as many as possible knowing where the goodies are. I just might pass if a bunch come in, with the whole group bein new I don't want them to know it's a killin field.

I hope you guys are having a great bowhunting season

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: The Hogs are back...** Pics added**

Postby Greywolf » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:47 am

I was prepping the extension of the house for painting, spackling, caulking and setting some nails.
It had been purty much a ok day. I mentioned to the boss earlier in the morning it was a good day to go hog hunting.
About 3:00 he said what time were you goin hunting?……..Uhhh…when were finished?
He said well, we can call it a day now or we can work late if we start the next phase… so ya wanna hunt or work? Within 6 minutes were both were leaving the very cleaned up job site.

I drove home with a smile on my face, getting to hunt the ranch for the first time in 4-5 months was a great feeling, remember the title of this thread…The Hogs are back.

I pulled into the driveway, kiss the beautiful Alpha Female and headed for the shower, she knows that look………..no not that one….. The He’s goin hunting look!

She said call me when your leaving the ranch and I’ll have supper ready for you, unless you have a hog then your on your own !!! Gotta love a woman like that !!!!

As I arrived at the ranch it was earlier than I’ve been for a long time…Oh well, I’ll check things out and probably have lots of stuff to do since it’s been a while. I grabbed my pack, bow and quiver full of deadly deadhead arrows just waiting to do what they were made to do…..Thanks Okie I owe ya a cold one when I get there.

Just as I entered the woods I did the usual stop and see if something is in the PIT. Seeing nothing I tried to make a quiet approach, the leaves was thicker than I remember, lots of stuff had changed due to storms and the winds, not much in the way of rain in the months of the hog being gone, but the last week or so have brought much needed rain to the valley and ranch. As I got close I could see a gap between the spinner plate and the bottom of the funnel of the feeder…Oh shoot was it empty or maybe with luck…Just stuck?
I bumped the feeder…Nope it was empty….we’ll that’s not a good sign…. I did take note of the doves still in the area so it hasn’t been empty that long maybe a day or two? Just a guess……

I tilted the feeder side ways and let all the old corn on top of the feeder fall off, it wasn’t a lot maybe a double cupped hand full. If they come in it might keep them busy long enough for a shot………….maybe………if they come in…….or not…
I looked in the PIT the rain had made it wet, actually to the point of it looked like it was tried to be used as a wallow once or twice? But it had nice size tracks in it, that’s a good thing….

I made my way over to the condo, it did have a bunch of leaves sticks and some of the burlap was starting to fall so it is in need of a little TLC on Saturday if the Apprentice doesn’t show up. I climbed onto the first floor, a 6 foot high vantage point, the second floor is 14 feet up, but the elevator is broke so I’ll hunt low tonight. I climbed in and did a bid of foot sweeping and clearing so nothing would be in the way, I took my pack off, sat the quiver in the corner and sat down to reposition the bucket so the handle wire wouldn’t make noise if I accidentally kicked it. I pulled out my new #1 arrow, it spun true, I pulled out the hand sharpener and gave it a couple of quick strokes to give me the confidence it was at it best.

I nock the arrow on the Pit Viper and gave a relaxing sigh…finally… I’m here…Again !!
A couple of doves landed and picked at the corn, that like I said is a good sign the feeder hasn’t been empty very long.

I heard a couple of doves land in the leave on the hillside, they like to see if……….OH wait !!! That’s no doves!!!! That’s a hog on the trail… He she or it was just nosing around kinda pickin here and there, meandering slowly not in a hurry at all.

It’s still on the hill but, if you look real hard maybe you can see it. (I’ll apologize now the pics are blurry, only thing I can figger is the camera shutter is slower than the other camera and I don’t hold it steady long enough)
BUT guess what? Yeah, the hogs are back!!! Yeehhhaaaaa and there one heading for the PIT !!

Finally, it reached the opening to the valley floor on the other side of the PIT

You notice what’s waiting for it? Besides me? A sharp Pearson Deadhead ..Oh yeah

Within a couple of minutes I see the Sow, walk into full view, it’s a great sight to see, it’s been a while !! My heart is pounding my breathing sounds like a school kid on a date. I was trying to get it back together really I was, it was great to see (did I mention that before?)

I think (yep, still doin the dangerous thing) she is Hapai (pregnant) she is solid looking no thinning at the flanks she look like a nice Solid #75-#80 hog and jet black too.

She makes her way to the PIT, She knows there is food there, and she is in no way worried about anything, she does catch my movement in the condo, I was moving my bow from the left side to the right side, as she looks dead at me, I still sway the bows back and forth and move me too, the burlap is also moving behind me as I can feel the reassuring breeze it’s left to right……….right past her… Oh yeah it’s a good night.

She moves into the PIT and starts to feed, she has no concern at all, she is still facing slightly quarterin to me, I got plenty of day light and I’m enjoying watching her.
After a couple of minutes, I heard what sounded like 2-3 more hogs coming in from behind me and to the left…Perfect entry pattern…what a night !!!!! I glanced back at her and she is now watching them too… I open the side to peek between the burlap and was totally surprised to see only one hog going in. WHAT? All that noise for one hog? Then I saw why
The back left leg was all bummed up, as the boar would hop forward on the right leg the left would shoot straight back then sweep back behind the right leg and almost knock it out the right leg. Oh darn… I hate to see something in that much distress, I glanced back over my shoulder and she was feeding faster now. (What a pig) she kept and eye on the loud intruder.

He got closer and closer to the PIT, when I looked back this is the shot picture I saw

6 yards !! Slight quartering shot !!! NOT FAIR !!!!! NOOOOOOO

But I had made a commitment to remove the injured boar, and ….Grrrr.. I’m…Gonna ..stick to …it GGGrrrrrr

The boar was completely behind the tree, no way to see around either way with out spooking the sow. Oh well it’s a waiting game now…. Is there enough corn left? Oh well we’ll see.

While I waited I grabbed the camera and shot a 15 second video of my encounter..

Click on the pic, it's actually video clip

It was a stand off, nothing was moving…or breathing at this point, well not me anyway..

The boar just turned and made two hops and the sow trotted out of the PIT and back up the trail, and then I turned to see where the boar was…… he was…gone !! I mean gone as in disappeared into thin air… How do they do that?

The sow walked up the trail and started to feed on the hillside I reached in the pack and grabbed the remote when HEY Einstein the feeder is empty sounded in my head.

Within a couple of minutes the boar appeared beside the sow and they feed over the ridge…
I grabbed my stuff and climbed down from the condo. I looked and there was still a hand full of corn in the PIT, I walked over and stepped the corn in the soft ground so the birds would have a harder time to get it.

I made my way back to the truck, drove to the tack room, grabbed my hunting partner who saw me and thought I had already killed a hog. I drove back telling him the story.
I walked back in carrying the #50 corn only to see the corn I had stepped on before I felt was gone, a hog or another hog had visited between the time I left and got back to refill the feeder.
See I should of stayed put and waited, but then again, I am after that boar, so till I get him I’ll pass on the rest of the hogs………Maybe? I maybe be dumb… but I ain’t stupid!!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:55 am

sorry for the blurry pics

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Newkirk Jerry » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:37 pm

Cool hunt Mark, it's coming, and thanks for this pic's. I like your story telling. :)

Thanks Okie I owe ya a cold one when I get there.

Are you coming to Oklahoma??? Is there a Greywolf party somewhere??
Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:34 pm

All I can say is.... I'm tryin. Have to see how thing look around OJAM time.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Newkirk Jerry » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:46 pm

:?: :?: :dance: :dance:
Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Postby Okie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Mark, those Deadheads look great!! I wanna see some blood on 'em. As far as the cold one... you just get here, there's plenty of cold ones waiting for ya. ;)

BTW, great story!!
John Holman
www.bearcreekselfbows.com
Founding Member- Oklahoma Selfbow Society
"Preserving the Heritage of Primitive Archery"
>>>>>>------------------------------------->
Okie
Global Moderator

Postby TradRag » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Okie wrote:Mark, those Deadheads look great!! I wanna see some blood on 'em. As far as the cold one... you just get here, there's plenty of cold ones waiting for ya. ;)

BTW, great story!!

What he said! Second the cold ones!
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby Greywolf » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:38 am

Gonna try for the boar Tuesday evening. be a feather in my cap if I can get him.
My thinking is ( oh no there he goes again) he'll go to the feeder for a easy meal, just hope he's not there waitin on the feeder to go off and I spook him...
He's a lot more cautious than the sow. maybe cause he knows he can't run fast.....unless he has too...?

When is OJAM this coming year?

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Okie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:33 pm

It's March 17th - 20th, 2011. Here's a link to the website...

http://www.ojam.org/
John Holman
www.bearcreekselfbows.com
Founding Member- Oklahoma Selfbow Society
"Preserving the Heritage of Primitive Archery"
>>>>>>------------------------------------->
Okie
Global Moderator

Postby Full Quiver » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:16 pm

Great hunt, can't wait for the rest of the story come tuesday evening (now that will be wednesday morning here right?).
Sure hope you can make it to OJAM
Donnie Wilson
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Full Quiver
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby >>>---DW---> » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:21 pm

Mark I know the fine folks here at Tradrag would love to see some video of the action so lemme know if you need a camera guy this evening. :)
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Newkirk Jerry » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:26 pm

That would be cool! The pigs are scarce around my hunting place these days. Everybody got dogs and cleared them out.
Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:27 pm

Ran a little behind sched today, so tomorrow is Ewa beach day. probably be hunting tomorrow evening...

Plus a box arrived today...... wonder whats in it? if I open it...... do I get :rolf: first dibbs?

Dave lets do a video sometime this week......

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:45 pm

pm me whats in the box quick!!!!!! Keawe is dying. ;) my phone is downstairs and I'm pretty sure it's dead anyways.
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:33 am

It's not rattling, packed purty well...... not real heavy.........still sitting next to a great rangefinder, wife must of slipped it there as a present for me...... :rolf:

Keawe if I open it....... do I get first dibbs? we get to choose ya know.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby WolfmanjohSSK » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:12 am

cheeeeeee. can't wait to see what it is. :dance:
WolfmanjohSSK
Spike Bull

Postby eddie c » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:45 am

you might have problems chosing who gets which one. :lol: because they are ...... well, you'll see. :lol:
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:35 am

Must.......Not.....touch.....box Must.....not......touch.....box :rolf:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby eddie c » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Greywolf wrote:Must.......Not.....touch.....box Must.....not......touch.....box :rolf:

yall playing up too much, they're not that fancy, they're just .......
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:20 am

Well it's a pair of somethings, maybe red ones or a set of blues ones.

Hope mines a large................ahhhh...HUSH !!!! :rolf:

Keawe...... got word I might be getting off early tomorrow after setting the truss fillers... me and my friend Key Stone might be here early. I'll call ya when I leave the job and see whats up.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby WolfmanjohSSK » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:18 am

Oh yeah. Gonna stock the fridge right..... ..... .... NOW! :mrgreen:
WolfmanjohSSK
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:51 am

Finally got together with Keawe tonight at the Hunter Education course. During the break we opened the box. you should see them.. a beautifully matched pair. Keawe was going to order one just like it.

I've never really wanted to spend that kind of money for one, so eddie you are da MAN !!!

Check these out
[img]de3%actuallywenogotpics*&274[img]

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby eddie c » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:01 am

Greywolf wrote:, so eddie you are da MAN !!!

I wouldnt say that. :D

Greywolf wrote:,
Check these out
[img]de3%actuallywenogotpics*&274[img]

the IMG code didnt work but I know what they look like. :lol:

glad yall like them.
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby >>>---DW---> » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:29 pm

I know what they look like too. I saw Keawe's last night. .. he woke me up to show me. Very nice!! way to go Eddie C!!! they are very nice.
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Next

Return to Big Game