White Wooleys of the Wasatch...

Discuss you Big Game adventures here. Moose, Sheep, Bear, etc.

Re: White Wooleys of the Wasatch...

Postby 4finger » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:14 pm

I'd had a very serious conversation with my hunting companion "Fred"...(to most folks "Fred" is just my bow...But to me...well, he's been a trustworthy partners who, could possibly be the only one who really understands why I do what I do)...we decided that above all...this was going to be an adventure to remember...besides "Fred" has waited for this hunt almost as long as me. ;)...
Attachments
100_0164.jpg
"It only takes 1 minute to make a lifetime memory...How much time are your kids worth?"
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:34 pm

After watching a great sunset...I called it a night...

Woke up early and reached the top...FINALLY...Let the hunt begin!...Oh Yeah...4finger
Attachments
THE GOAT HUNT 2010 053.jpg
I'm a sucker for Sunsets...
100_0136.jpg
The Goats had moved a bunch from where I'd seen them during the summer, the opening week blast fest had them hugging the cliff edges...
100_0110.jpg
They were hugging the rims and as the sun hit them, they would drop off working their way into areas where they wouldn't be bothered...
100_0142.jpg
Covered alot of area getting a feel for where the Goats had moved...All Alone...and Loving it! ;)...
"It only takes 1 minute to make a lifetime memory...How much time are your kids worth?"
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:55 pm

The area is basically easy to access, which is good...and bad. I'd decided to utilize my base camp and hike into my area each day, unless I found Goats where it would require staying on the Mountain, if that was the case, I'd take my Bivy sack/pack but from what I was seeing, the base camp was going to be the ticket...
Attachments
100_0133.jpg
Putting in "eye miles"...
100_0181.jpg
Spotted these Billies from a ways off, decided to hike the rim above and around them and see if time/wind would allow a stalk...
100_0212.jpg
Scenery SUCKED!!!! lol...
100_0221.jpg
Working to the Peak to see if we could access the Goats, we paused a moment thinking about the first folks who stood up here and looked across the Great Salt Lake, then Fred and I autographed the book atop Ben Lomond Peak...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:18 am

The Goats were bedded in the dark timber, far right corner and kind of down the slope. Good cover but the howling wind was blowing over the ridge right to them. No stalk opp without the chance of blowing them into the cliffs below. I decided to munch my lunch and see what the afternoon would bring...
Attachments
100_0233.jpg
Watching the wind...
100_0218.jpg
Out of the wind...
100_0237.jpg
Looking back towards Willard Peak...and Camp :)...
100_0248.jpg
The Goats were bedded in the dark Pie Shaped area right above the cliff edge...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:37 am

I decided that since the wind wasn't going to co-operate, that I'd work my way back towards Willard Peak and camp and see what the late afternoon would offer...
Attachments
100_0203.jpg
"Goat Flowers" were still blooming...:)
100_0252.jpg
This Nanny with a small kid gave me my first stalk of the day, It's an any Goat tag so Nanny's are legal...but...not looking for a Nanny or that little kid...:) worked into 35yds...it was fun...
100_0257.jpg
If you've noticed I say "We" alot when I'm writing this...he's why...lol...
100_0270.jpg
Wildfires had the air smokey which made for some awesome Sunsets...it was a great first day...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:42 am

Got back to my "Spaceship" a while after dark...Wish Fred knew how to cook...:)
Attachments
100_0095.jpg
"UFredO"...lol
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby TradRag » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:18 am

AWESOME!!! Had a great hike with you this morning. Keep us posted!
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby 4finger » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:36 pm

Started the morning out wandering an area where I'd seen a good billy earlier in the summer...Located him/maybe...Pretty sure he's been here since the season starter. He'd lay in his little 15-20' diam. flat spot with cliffs all around until the sun hit him, then he'd move off the backside which was basically straight up and down to find shade...oh did I tell you these creatures are Fearless? lol...
Attachments
100_0281.jpg
"Flag Basin"...
100_0282.jpg
Mr. Billy...
100_0288.jpg
After he'd moved off looking for shade, I worked the rim edge looking down for Goats...did that for a couple of hours...
100_0295.jpg
I ended back up where I'd started earlier in the morning. I decided to set up my spotting scope and watch for a bit...spent 30 minutes or so and decided to head to another vantage point. After packing my gear I stood up and swung my pack on and heard a noise...This Goat walked up over the edge 30yds from me...I thought to myself "where the did he come from" the cliffs below him are sheer...I mean SHEER!...then my brain reminded me..."Mtn. Goat" hahaha...could have shot him but never could have retrieved him...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:47 pm

Thanks Bryan...I'd decided that for the most part, evening would probably be the best for hunting, as the Goats would leave their beds late afternoon and work to the tops to feed for the night, the Full moon wasn't a help either...REMEMBER spotting scopes make it look like you should be able to run right down and put an arrow in Goats like this. :)...
Attachments
100_0131.jpg
Pretty content...
100_0138.jpg
The base trail between Willard Peak and Box Elder Peak is basically a flat trail but step off either side of the trail and it goes UP or DOWN! hahaha. Glad I'd done my packhikes...was worth losing those early mornings sleeping in...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:10 pm

My 4th son Forrest was to show up tonight after he got off work, so I decided to head back to camp, grab a bite to eat, shoot Fred (my bow, lol), then hike onto the backside of the Mountain to check it out. I also wanted to check on the "Hilton" my small 2 man tent...I'd put it up around the middle of July and I was hoping it was still standing...just in case we needed it later...
Attachments
100_0314.JPG
Drive up window to McGoat-alds, lol...I tired all the flavors and personally like the "Lime" ones...
100_0339.JPG
Fred to me I was shooting "High"...I was just glad I shot 2 arrows in a row that were grouped!...
100_0343.JPG
Hard to believe that I hadn't seen another person for 2 days...VERY GOOD...as I hiked around the back basin, I knew that the time spent with my sons was going to be a great shared memory...but...I do like "My Time"...
100_0403.JPG
You know, I wander this great country of ours and am so grateful for all I get to see/do...and I am sad for all the places, I'll never have enough time in my lifetime to visit/see...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby kevin12306 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:23 pm

beautiful country! Looks like an amazing place to spend some time!
kevin12306
Raghorn Bull

Postby 4finger » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks Sir, it truly is a place of beauty...
Attachments
100_0320.JPG
The rugged terrain holds hidden treasures...
100_0318.JPG
like this! But like all treasure, there's "Danger" involved, hahaha
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:33 pm

As I arrived on the rim above the "Hilton", I was really glad to see it still standing. The first snow of the season hadn't hurt it fortunately and the wild winds we'd experienced in early August hadn't flattened it...

I was feeling pretty good as I worked my way toward the tent...I looked past the tent thru the trees and realized some white spots (in the dirt spot just above the tent top) were headed my way!...

I quickly headed back from where I'd come from circling to find some cover and gain as much wind advantage as I could. I dropped my pack next to a scrub tree and got ready...what seemed like an eternity passed and I could hear brush snapping off to my right, I snuckwards the noise and when I peered over the rise...there was a Billy standing broadside 10yds away...behind a tree!.. Crap!!!... The Billy bolted when he winded me and another Billy that I couldn't see went with him. I backed/slid/ran off the rim stopping to see what to do next and then heard noise coming from the area I'd dropped my pack. As quietly as I could I crouched and duckwalked half way down the rim towards my pack. I got set as the sounds got closer...I told "Fred" to stop shaking cause he was making me nervous! lol...

The tips of Goats horns were coming over the rim...right at me!...a younger Billy about 7-71/2" horns looked right thru me and kept coming...I quickly realized that the only way off the edge that lay behind me...was for him to walk between an large rock and me which was like 2 feet wide...I knew if he got between me and the rock and realized what I was...well it could get interesting. :) I slowly twisted my wrist which held Fred and my arrow to the left and the broadhead moved about a foot in the same direction...now if the Goat kept coming, he'd walk into the broadhead before he got to me...The young Billy stopped when he saw the movement of the broadhead...he stretched out his neck and cocked his head like "what the heck?" and stared at my Bear Razorhead...his nose was about 2" from the broadhead...he was around 2 1/2-3 feet from me...it was AWESOME!!!!! hahaha

Slowly he turned to his right and slowly walked off and started to feed...never saw me...

I held still, as more noise was coming my way...
Attachments
100_0345.JPG
the "Hilton" n Goats!...
100_0346.JPG
Waiting! Come ON!!!!!...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:54 pm

The noise kept coming and this Billy just appeared, you know that slow motion thing your eyes see's when everything comes together, all the while everything else around you is in fast forward?...Ok maybe it's just me BUT he moving feeding on rocks (thats what they eat you know, lol) as he came rim...from that point Fred took over, the arrow covered the short distance (which I later guess to be around 20-22yds) in a blur and I saw my yellow fletching
against red and white on his side...dead center up and down behind the shoulder crease but a bit back...I was amazed how quickly he made it out to 65yds or so where he stopped and looked back, I already had another arrow on the string, I shot but it went low under his chest and he headed down across the boulder field where his buddies had headed...

Freds shaking had now progressed to my knees...I told him to cool it... I snapped a couple pictures of the Billy as I watched him work his way towards the Basin...
Attachments
100_0348.JPG
White dot is him...
100_0348.JPG
I told you I snapped a couple pictures of him ;)...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:15 pm

As I watched my Goat make his way over to the other Billies feeding in the basin...I kept expecting to see him tip over...my anxiety level was going thru the roof!...

To my dis-belief when he reached the others, he walked right past thru them and started up the cliffs to the rim...unbelievable...I really thought he'd bed down...

When he reached the rim, I again thought he'd bed to watch his back trail...he just worked along the rim until he was out of sight...I ran down the rim I was on hoping to get a better vantage point and glassed and glassed...NOT GOOD!!!!...

When I climbed back to retrieve my pack, I was suprised to see that a group of nannies and kids had arrived and were feeding in the Basin also...

Not wanting to spook the Goats and chance having mine follow them...I worked my way down the ridge then over the top back to camp...long ways around but I hoped it would be worth not spooking the Goats...
Attachments
100_0357.JPG
Lots of Goats in the Basin when I left...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:28 pm

Another Wildfire Smoke enhanced Sunset helped ease my mind as I headed into camp. My 4th son Forrest would be pulling into camp sometime tonight and it would be nice to have the company...as I expected it would be a LONG night...

I ate my dinner and stared into my "Caveman" TV hitting the "rewind button" in my mind over and over again...I prayed the Hunt Gods shine on us tomorrow...
Attachments
100_0272.jpg
Another Plain Old Sunset huh? lol...
100_0569.JPG
"Caveman TV"...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:34 pm

Sorry for the delay folks, It seems that the Photos that Forrest shot need to be resized to fit the format. Not being computer savvy, it may take me a couple days to work it out...4finger :x
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:57 pm

Forrest arrived in camp late, so I opted to let him sleep in a little while. I hoped that my Billy would be bedded in his final resting spot when tracking started. We ate breakfast and grabbed our packs for the hike in...

As we entered the Basin from the night before, Forrest whispered "Dad"! I looked and said what? He said "Goats"...Where I asked...he looked at me and whispered..."Everywhere!"...mental note to self...get eyes checked...:)

We watched the Goats for about an hour so we wouldn't spook them and risk a chance of them going out the same route as my Goat did and risk wrecking the bloodtrail...
Attachments
IMG_3997.JPG
Behind camp...
IMG_3994.JPG
Searching for a Blue Grouse...
IMG_4007.JPG
Nannies and Kids...
IMG_4011.JPG
...:)
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:19 pm

Goats are truly unique creatures, the group we had in the basin could have easily walked the rocks for about 75 yards around the crest of the Basin and been out of our sight...Instead they all just climbed up and out, going over the top...leave Forrest and myself staring at each other in unbelief...

With the Goats over the top, we made our way to where I'd shot my Goat the evening before...so Forrest could get the big picture and we could glass the rim again before climbing up it...

As we went across the rock basin to look for blood, we didn't have to go far...continuing along Forrest spotted my arrow...it in the lower left hand corner of the photo...Yellow Fletchings...

The color of blood led me to believe it was the dark blood of a liver hit verses the lighter pink of lungs...wish it was lungs but we'll take it...
Attachments
IMG_4016.JPG
Doing it the hard way...
IMG_4014.JPG
My arrow...
IMG_4020.JPG
Better than the "yellow brick road"...
IMG_4019.JPG
Trail was good...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:40 pm

You've all probably all been on a Bloodtrail at some time, as you know the time ticks slowly as your mind goes thru all the roller coaster emotions when the trails good then gets sparse and back again...

We reached the rim and the trail was good, we moved as quietly as the rocks grinding under our feet would allow...every white dot ahead of us would make my throat tighten hoping it was my Billy...

We followed the rim around and I was stunned that the Goat hadn't bedded anywhere...a deer or elk would have layed down watching his backtrail...this guy just kept moving towards the cliff edge...we took our packs off so as not to get bumped off the edge...if I ever decide to jump...I'll jump...but we didn't want to end up a grease spot yet...lol...
Attachments
IMG_4021.JPG
Trailing...
100_0366.JPG
Forrest...well kinda...:)
IMG_4022.JPG
very encouraging...
IMG_4032.JPG
Slow and steady...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:01 pm

We had been on the trail for about 3 hours now and I couldn't believe my Goat had gone this far...everybody I"d talked to before the hunt, who had hunted them commented on how tough and different these animals are...

The blood trail was very good...strong and steady but not profusely...the major time consumer was just trying to get to where the Goat was taking us...I could try to explain but you'd all think I was lying...and that's the truth!...

We'd been working thru these chutes and cliffs for over 4 hours and Forrest whispered Dad...I looked at him and he said "if Mom knew where we were...she'd KILL US"...lol...yes she would I whispered...
Attachments
IMG_4033.JPG
Yeah...I know...
100_0375.JPG
These clouds had me worried for a bit but fortunately no rain came with them...
100_0373.JPG
Blood trailing with Bino's...
100_0379.JPG
Forrest...my other "Mtn.Goat"...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:18 pm

The cliff's snowslide chute's got wider and steeper. The going was a bit intimidating but we kept going...

The tracks kept heading, to where nothing can follow them...that's the secret of Mtn.Goats...

When we reached this spot in the bottom picture...it stopped us cold...we couldn't go up, or down, or across...we could go back, Thank Heavens but we were stopped for now...the Billy's track...and the Blood trail went across and down the 150yd wide x who knows how long chute...

I turned and stared at Forrest...this can't be happening...
Attachments
IMG_4026.JPG
Goat Track...
100_0377.JPG
End of the line...for now...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:42 pm

We took GPS waypoints so that we could possibly get close to the spot from another angle/direction...can you say GGRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!...

We worked our way back up and out of the cliffs to our packs, took a little rest cause I'm getting OLD!...then out and over the ridgline back to camp...

Have to Brag a bit on my son Forrest...never complained, always encouraging...and climbs like a machine...Thanks son for your help...

Trudging back to camp to formulate "plan B"...
Attachments
IMG_4064.JPG
Feeding the Machine...
IMG_4070.JPG
Resting the livestock...
IMG_4073.JPG
Second thoughts...
IMG_4077.JPG
Not the way we'd planned...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby TradRag » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:43 pm

What!? Darn it! I just knew I was going to scroll down and see a picture of you and your Billy. I'm dying hear. I may need to talk with Fred. :D
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby 4finger » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:01 am

There are many responsibilities that follow when you shoot an arrow at an animal...any animal...I feel I fell short on a couple key points...#1- Even though my Goat was close when I shot...I didn't take into account (didn't even remember) he was still moving...be it slowly mind you but he was still moving...I should have been focused on the shot timing better...#2- I should have shot him further forward...I mean even if he was standing still you need to shoot Mtn Goats WAY forward, as their vitals are compacted forward for a better center of gravity. A fellow stick shooter Steve H. told me that but I hadn't drilled it into my brain as hard as I should have...shooting deer and elk for years had me focusing on the crease behind the front shoulder...dead center and back from it a bit in that crease is a lung/back edge lung on deer and elk...on Goats its a liver shot...Goats and animals can/will go a long ways with a liver shot. Short trails come from deflated lungs...
Attachments
IMG_4075.JPG
Things to learn...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby Okie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:57 am

This is awesome 4fingers!! Makes me want to come up there and help ya look for it. The suspense is killing me.
John Holman
www.bearcreekselfbows.com
Founding Member- Oklahoma Selfbow Society
"Preserving the Heritage of Primitive Archery"
>>>>>>------------------------------------->
Okie
Global Moderator

Postby Full Quiver » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:25 am

Okie wrote:This is awesome 4fingers!! Makes me want to come up there and help ya look for it. The suspense is killing me.

I agree with Okie, except I'm already out of breath and it took me forever to find your arrow! :lol:

Donnie
Donnie Wilson
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Full Quiver
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby TradRag » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:58 am

I agree with Okie, except I'm already out of breath and it took me forever to find your arrow!

:rolf: I was reading (trying too) on my iPhone last night and was squinting SO hard to find the Arrow too! I did finally find it. My phone was about to get thrown across the room. Every time I would enlarge a picture for a better view it would take me back to the beginning of the thread. ROAR!!!

They are some beautiful pics!
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby 4finger » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:10 pm

Plan B came early for Forrest...we figured to head over the top and come from a different direction to get to our GPS coordinates if possible...if not, we'd come in from another...

Keeping the mood a little light...Forrest found the perfect natural Treestand for his 6"4 240lb frame...haha

Plan B would be a day of glassing and walking as we worked our way around and into the area...looking for a White dot hiding on the mountain...

Leg work...then repeat...
Attachments
100_0363.JPG
Yes he loves his sleep, lol...
100_0413.JPG
Like most treestands, this one is rated to 300#s max. lol...
100_0421.JPG
Need a White dot!...
IMG_4088.JPG
Maybe this way will work...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks for the encouragement guys...sorry about the "where's Waldo" arrow thing, lol...
4finger
5X5 Bull

PreviousNext

Return to Big Game