White Wooleys of the Wasatch...

Discuss you Big Game adventures here. Moose, Sheep, Bear, etc.

White Wooleys of the Wasatch...

Postby 4finger » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:07 pm

Back in the mid 70's our local archery club, Beehive Wasatch Bowhunter's, actively solicited the State of Utah's Fish and Game Dept. to issue a tag for Mtn.Goats, That year the first tag was issued thru a draw to the residents of Utah...Having put in for Mtn.Goats every year except 4 since that time...I have decided I'm the luckest guy in the world...I finally drew a tag this year...while I'm STILL able to walk...LOL. I hope you enjoy a few of the photos from last weeks scouting trip...they'll be alot of rest stops along the way for me to catch my breath :)...4finger
Attachments
Goat scout 1 008.jpg
got an early start...if sunset is early...
Goat scout 1 012.jpg
slept in the lowlands and got an early start...
Goat scout 1 015.jpg
The snows hung on long this year and the Mountain is just starting to show signs of spring...1st of the wildflowers...
Goat scout 1 016.jpg
I love seeing new country, more exploring than scouting...
Goat scout 1 021.jpg
at least finding water won't be a problem...
"It only takes 1 minute to make a lifetime memory...How much time are your kids worth?"
4finger
5X5 Bull

Re: White Wooleys of the Wasatch...

Postby 4finger » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:29 pm

The winding road allowed quite a bit of elevation gain on the backside of the Mountain, fortunately for this old greybeard ;)...as I loaded my gear for my overnight bivy, in my hast to be gone the night before I realized my 10x42 binos were home on the counter...DUH!..at least I had the spotting scope. I was excited being on my Goat unit for the first time...hope there are even Goats here...we'll soon find out. As I topped the last ridge and got a good view of the other side of the Mountain it came to me quickly why the Goats call this place home...4finger
Attachments
Goat scout 1 028.jpg
in the meadow under the white rock dome...Mtn.Goats! ...
Goat scout 1 033.jpg
spotting scope ZOOM lens, lol...
Goat scout 1 037.jpg
easier to tag Goats thru a spotting scope than with an arrow...
Goat scout 1 053.jpg
easy to cover ground with a scope too...
"It only takes 1 minute to make a lifetime memory...How much time are your kids worth?"
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:52 pm

The elevation at the top peaks is around 9800ft, even with doing my packhikes for the past 2plus months, I was sucking as much air as possible but you just need to spend a few days/trips and it eases...I hope,lol...my pack had lots of exta water as I wasn't sure if there would be any readily available and drinking alot of water to stay hydrated is the key to avoiding altitude sickness. I put the spotting scope away and shouldered the pack, lots of country to explore :)...4finger
Attachments
Goat scout 1 067.jpg
hehehehe...
Goat scout 1 065.jpg
picked up a few "Goat Flowers"...being a flyfishing/tying nut, this goat dubbing will be fooling some winter browns ;)...
Goat scout 1 071.jpg
I tend not to "Look down on folks" but this trip I couldn't help it...
Goat scout 1 084.jpg
I think if you took a Goat and put them out on flat ground...they'd fall over...lol...
Last edited by 4finger on Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby TradRag » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:46 am

AWESOME walk with you 4Finger! Those are some great pictures in some of the finest country. So, have you recruited your son to pack out the goat once you harvested or at least pack in the 'heavy' part of camp? It's what I'll be doing this year with Dad on the elk hunt. He just keeps piling stuff in my pile to pack in.

I wish you the best this year! Can't wait for you to keep us posted!
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby Okie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:13 am

Great pics 4finger! Gets my blood pumpin'. Thanks for sharing.
John Holman
www.bearcreekselfbows.com
Founding Member- Oklahoma Selfbow Society
"Preserving the Heritage of Primitive Archery"
>>>>>>------------------------------------->
Okie
Global Moderator

Postby Newkirk Jerry » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:31 pm

Awesome country 4!! Would love to go for a hike with you someday. Keep the pics coming and good luck on your hunt.
Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:40 pm

Thanks guys and Bryan-Yes the boys will be going, it looks like at least 3 of the 5 should be with me during most of the hunt, so considering the numbers and size of them, all I will probably responsible for is dragging my sorry hiney out of the deep areas. Looking forward to having them there, times shared that really can't be counterfitted.

Here's a few more pics as it got late last night and this old goat got sleepy ;0 Hope you all enjoy them...4finger
Attachments
Goat scout 1 089.jpg
There's quite a bit of wind blown cornus snow left along the steep ridges, I walked out onto one and had a large chunk of snow go out from under me...won't do THAT again,lol...
Goat scout 1 069.jpg
Don't let yourselve be missled that this hunt will be easy...Do-able yes, very Do-able as long as the Goats don't get spooked out of the area and the mountain doesn't get any steeper or turn into sheer cliffs...I was feeling pretty good...
Goat scout 1 171.jpg
LOL...
Goat scout 1 174.jpg
Note to self...DON"T GO DOWN THERE...unless it's REALLY Big...lol
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:54 pm

Common sense will controls where I go...but I've been accused of not having very much of it in the past ;) A good friend of mine who hunted goats a few years ago gave me some good advice..."when you get comfortable jumping up and down on those rocks and climbing and crawling on the ledges...you NEED to go back home for a couple of days" Think I'll remember that one.

I crisscrossed about 7-9 miles of ridgeline looking for a good spot for a basecamp and place to set a tent and leave and stockpile water/food etc. on each scouting trip This solo trip made me glad that I had brought my Bivy sack, I think that that is probably the way I'll go along with a tarp for my camping as there is a severe shortage of anything Flat on the Mountain. Maybe I'll find a good spot on future trips...4finger
Attachments
Goat scout 1 061.jpg
Goat scout 1 124.jpg
Did find a good Hotel, here's the view out the window...
Goat scout 1 100.jpg
A couple of decent Billy's and a younger billy-bob...
Goat scout 1 105.jpg
this small band of Billy's had 2 Great ones in it...but in reality...they're all GREAT...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:07 pm

I decided that rolling to the bottom of the mountain might be fun But then I'd miss the hunt and I'm sure it will be a blast, wedging between these 2 old giants of the high country and building a "recliner" style bed I really did have a great nights sleep...4finger
Attachments
Goat scout 1 125.jpg
Goat scout 1 140.jpg
do I have an eye for campspots or what? lol...
Goat scout 1 132.jpg
Yes...I LIKE THIS STUFF!!!!!...
Goat scout 1 146.jpg
Woke up Sunday Morning with Frost on the Bivy...what's with this? It's the 4th of July and FROST!...time to pack up and head for home...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:12 pm

If that snow patch stays thru the Summer...I'm putting a TREESTAND right next to it!, lol...

Hope you enjoyed the wandering with the Woolies of the Wasatch...FYI...The Wasatch Mountain Range...is Awesome!...4finger
Attachments
Goat scout 1 143.jpg
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby Newkirk Jerry » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:52 pm

How about a shot of the city lights at night from your hotel? That was a great view, makes you say "at least I'm not down there". You mountain boys would kick this flatlanders butt. Awesome pictures! I've told you before and I know you know it D, your a very lucky man. Go have some fun, looking forward to the adventure! How many days away are we?
Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Postby TradRag » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:04 am

wedging between these 2 old giants of the high country and building a "recliner" style bed I really did have a great nights sleep...4finger

WOW... that is dedication! I love it! How's the bivy sack treating you? I am assuming that you are using one there in the pic.
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby 4finger » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Greetings, Yes the Bivy may be the way to hunt this country and yeas the one pictured is the one I'll use. How's the Colorado plans coming along?
Hopefully going to going back to look at Goats this weekend, times ticking...Take care...4finger
Attachments
Goat scout 1 083.jpg
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby Jesse Minish » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:02 pm

Great pics!
Jesse Minish
4X4 Bull

Postby 4finger » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:26 pm

Time is ticking down and Sept 11th is coming quickly. Last weekends trip showed great promise as new country was viewed and a true "Old Timer" made his presence known...4finger
Attachments
Goat 2 156.jpg
Goat 2 167.jpg
Goat 2 014.jpg
Goat 2 034.jpg
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Shot 3 arrows with "Fred" last night, still working towards "full time" with my 60lb limbs...3 arrows...yea but it was 3 -60lb propelled arrows :)...
Attachments
Goat 2 283.jpg
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby TradRag » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:05 pm

3 arrows??? heck! all you need is one good placed one. Right!? :mrgreen:

Great pics too. I've been following but hate to comment every time because I feel like I'm junking up your thread! I cannot wait to be back in the high country!
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby 4finger » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:51 pm

..Last week presented some challenges, some expected, some not... such is life huh? :)...

The Mountain was calling last weekend, so I willingly obeyed. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

The archery deer/elk hunt starts this coming weekend, Brady said I could come along as long as I don't spook the critters...what? lol...
Goat hunt starts in a month and I'm a bit excited...kind of one track minded if you get my drift...hope to get some pictures of my boy with a buck!...
Attachments
Goat3rdtrip 004.jpg
Oh yeah...
Goat3rdtrip 007.jpg
I hear voices calling...
Goat3rdtrip 015.jpg
they love the cliffs...
Goat3rdtrip 024.jpg
Since I'm as big around as I am tall...I'd best not fall...:)
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:09 pm

Bryan, I always enjoy your comments bud, junk up away!

I know your Elk hunts coming soon-wishing you the best and looking forward to the photos/story...
Attachments
Goat3rdtrip 013.jpg
"Goat Wallows"...
Goat3rdtrip 046.jpg
They just enjoy standing "Up" on things...
Goat3rdtrip 064.jpg
Billies are kind of "Cocky" but if you saw where they live/walk/run/feed (lol) you'd understand why...
Goat3rdtrip 068.jpg
Summer wildflowers...and when I enjoy my pack the most...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:16 pm

This ones been keeping me up nights...hope he sticks around and give me a chance like this when I have a bow in my hands :)...How much longer till the hunt?...
Attachments
mdgc1227.jpg
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby Jesse Minish » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:29 pm

That one would keep me up at night too!
Jesse Minish
4X4 Bull

Postby 4finger » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Thanks Jesse, Good Goat-can't imagine how big he'll look with a winter coat...I'm still stuttering...
Attachments
mdgc1239.jpg
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby born2hunt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:18 pm

4finger wrote:my pack had lots of exta water as I wasn't sure if there would be any readily available and drinking alot of water to stay hydrated is the key to avoiding altitude sickness. ...4finger

Hey 4

Get some of those electralyte pills. They help in so many ways, but also in keeping the altitude demons away.

Great pics. Still waiting for that final one!

Ken
born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Postby TradRag » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:58 pm

4finger,

Great pics as always! Man, that goat would get my goat too! I'd have dreamt the perfect harvest many times over by now. I wish you the best!
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby 4finger » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:00 pm

Thank for the heads up Ken, I'll look into it, as of yet the altitude demon hasn't been a factor.
Thanks guys for the comments, I enjoy this site a ton...read more than post...really enjoy it....
Attachments
Goat3rdtrip 041.jpg
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby Newkirk Jerry » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:06 pm

This is going to be great! Best of luck to ya 4!
Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:41 pm

Gawd that is some beautiful country and I am green with envy. Keep the pictures coming and good luck on the hunt.

Dennis
Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby 4finger » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:57 pm

Most everybody that knows me thinks I'm a little "off"...I think maybe they're right...my Goat hunt started back on Sept 11th...I didn't go...

At the start of this adventure and after waiting soooooooooo long to draw the tag, I'd decided that I wasn't going to get caught up in the "score...Gotta kill one...NEW STATE/WORLD RECORD!>>>pending offical scoring" lol... I just want the best experience that I can make for myself hunting these great creatures on the only time I'll be able to.

Since this is an any weapon, hunter choice of Billy or nanny, and the fact that there are 15 tag holders, I figured if I let the first week go by, more than 1/2 the tags will be filled and the amount of folks on the mountain would drop dramatically, usually every tag holder has from 2 to 20 folks trailing with them (I'll have from me to 3 of my sons at various times thruout the hunt) which is always good, family, friends...that what it's all about anyway.

So tomorrow I continue my once in a lifetime Utah Mtn. Goat adventure...but...this time carrying "Fred" my trusty Takedown :)
My shoulders are still jacked but like Bryan said "you only need one arrow" I figure when the adrenline starts flowing in the heat of battle, I won't feel the pain...lets hope so anyway...;)

Good luck to all on your upcoming hunts/adventures...remember to enjoy the time/moments/smells...and take/share it your kids, that's why you feed them all year isn't it? lol...See ya...4finger
Attachments
Goat3rdtrip 015.jpg
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby Newkirk Jerry » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:42 pm

I almost posted on this thread about five hours ago wondering how you did. Your ears must have been burning. Good luck to ya bud and we are all patiently waiting for the pic's and the stories!!
Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:55 pm

The overused word of "AWESOME" doesn't do the hunt justice...it Bordered on..."Spiritual"...4finger
Attachments
IMG_4060.JPG
THE GOAT HUNT 2010 021.jpg
Setting up my "Bivy" tent, lol...
THE GOAT HUNT 2010 036.jpg
Base camp...
THE GOAT HUNT 2010 048.jpg
Coolest animal imaginable...
4finger
5X5 Bull

Next

Return to Big Game