Bears

Discuss you Big Game adventures here. Moose, Sheep, Bear, etc.

Bears

Postby Rick P » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:25 am

Less than 3 months Till spring black bear! I cant wait! And I'm nearly positive I'm getting a new set of either silver flame's or Alaska bow hunting supplies Samurai broad heads. Really anxious to field test these new broad heads.
Just this Alaskans Opinion
Rick P
4X4 Bull

Re: Bears

Postby Sapphire » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:25 pm

Well...here in Montana we've got turkey and bear season coming up in just over a month... Dang... I am READY for that. I've killed a boat load of bears with a rifle, but have yet to kill one with a bow and sure hope to get that done this spring. If not, Oh Well..it will be FUN trying...
Here are a few I've come across at work the last couple years. I'm a fish biologist, so I end up seeing a lot of critters, but quite often while Im NOT hunting!
I always wanted to get back up to this spot and try to arrow this bear... he is a PIG...
Lil guy in the rocks...
lilguy
And a Momma bear...she was standing at the base of the tree her cubs were up and was not impressed with me!
One of the cubs...above her...
one more mamma with kiddos...
As for Turkeys... Only one with a rifle so far (deer season bird...just an "incidental take"...)..and also want to get that done with the longbow... I've got them in every direction from the house... just got to figure out how to get it done.. Any tips appreciated!!
No good turkey pics though...
Sapphire
5X5 Bull

Postby Sapphire » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:49 am

Getting Closer! ANyone got any plans???/

E
Sapphire
5X5 Bull

Postby Rick P » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:10 pm

Closer nothing saw my first set of tracks for the year yesterday! Hunting out back every chance I get till the salmon start to run.
Just this Alaskans Opinion
Rick P
4X4 Bull

Postby bull3540 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:24 pm

Great pics, thanks for sharing!
You can't kill a man born to hang!
bull3540
Spike Bull

Postby Sapphire » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:06 pm

Well, opened over a week ago here... Man... havent had a chance to get out yet! Maybe this weekend, but its supposed to snow all weekend... :evil:
Sapphire
5X5 Bull

Postby bobby leeper » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:02 am

police killed a black bear north of us this past week , they've had sightings of black bears in the woods around
duke university hospital , where mrs bubba works . i counted six seperate sightings in the past ten days... local law enforcement says they have lost habitat in the mountains due to developements going in. here in my neck of the woods, ive seen tracks out on the trail, by the creek, a sow and her cub . ive also seen pie pan size cat traks near a deer stand
of mine beneath a willow oak tree. not to mention coyotes running across the field near my hideout. looks to me like the big game animals are coming down to the foothills to hunt and feed... the mountain is lush and green,,, lots of wasklys
and squirrats jumping around but the oaks here didnt get a good crop of acorns ... later folks and good hunting them bears ...and great pictures sapphire...;^)
i don't care what god you pray to. what i care about is what he tells you to do, and who to do it to and with what weapon to use when you are doing it
bobby leeper
Raghorn Bull

Postby mountainrifle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:12 pm

nice bears, weve got loads of blackbears in NC ;)
I love the smell of Blackpowder in the mornin'
mountainrifle
5X5 Bull

Postby sharkbaitffd » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:20 pm

Another animal on my dream hunt list. Great pics!
Count it all joy, my brethren, when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
-James 1:2-4-
sharkbaitffd
4X4 Bull

Postby Firstarrow » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:27 pm

On may list as well in my home state. Someday.......
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.
Firstarrow
Spike Bull

Postby Bowman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:52 am

I love Bear hunting It will be a couple of years before I get to go again.

Good luck to you
St. Joe River Longbow 50@28 62"
Muzzy Phantoms SS
www.stjoeriverbows.com
Bowman
5X5 Bull

Postby stiknstringbow » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:42 pm

I was luck enough to draw a spring Bear Permit here in Washington State.
The area I will be hunting is in Southwest Washington and has no snow (elevation 0-1500 feet)
It has a lot of creek bottoms, and a few beaver ponds....
I am not allowed to use scents or baits, and plan on trying some calling, but with as thick as the woods are, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to locate "travel corridors" or other tips on figuring out the best places to intercept a bear.
I have read everything I can on the subject and think I got a grasp, but realize that there is always something to learn.
stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Postby elkslayer4x5 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:44 pm

Plan on having bow in hand and being in the same position as the camera was next time this guy waddles by!
elkslayer4x5
4X4 Bull

Postby Bear Heart » Fri May 23, 2014 10:34 pm

Going bear hunting tomorrow on the WA coast.
Bear Heart
Spike Bull

Return to Big Game