Mountain Goats!

Discuss you Big Game adventures here. Moose, Sheep, Bear, etc.

Mountain Goats!

Postby born2hunt » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:33 pm

I have lived among them nearly my whole life but have never hunted them. I'm hoping to draw Colorado G5 for 2009 or 2010. Anybody here ever hunt goats?
Last edited by born2hunt on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good Huntin' Image
born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Re: Mountain Goats!

Postby Rick P » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:14 am

I hunted them in November not far from my home in palmer Alaska. The weather was awful so I came home empty. The Terrain in the area I hunted would have given a Dall sheep a nose bleed and was a little to much for me to be doing solo. I have applied for 2 September hunts for the same area, hopefully the weather will be better. A good friend of mines wife harvested a nice billy, I'll try to post the pic.
louise%27s%20goat.jpg

I was hunting with 2 sticks and a string.
Just this Alaskans Opinion
Rick P
4X4 Bull

Postby born2hunt » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:21 pm

What's their hair like in Sept in AK? Around here we need to wait till Oct so their hair is better. Nice goat by the way!
Good Huntin' Image
born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Postby Rick P » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:19 pm

Dave and I are really proud of Louise. There is actually a long harrowing story that ends with my freinds jaw in rough shape that goes with that harvest. Her goat was taken in the first week of September.

Goats definitely have a better plague in November here. (Most fur bearing animals have pelts, sheep have a fleece and a goats hair/pelt is correctly called a plague.) But the weather can be a real issue. I have had September alpine trips be a comfy 50 degrees and sunny, this year It was snowing with gale force winds. My tent was ripped to shreds second day out. So by November getting into goat country can be all but impossible without a plane. Also "the gorge" is no place to be at -20, solo hunting a white goat on a near vertical ice and rock wall. At least in September the approach I have to take doesn't require climbing gear, the glacier can be crossed with alpine crampons fairly easily.
253171475_577d333f1f.jpg
Rick P
4X4 Bull

Postby born2hunt » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:47 pm

Yeah, the weather on our 14,000' peaks can be nasty in Nov too. At least I'm not dealing with glaciers.

Thanks for sharing and thanks for the info.
Good Huntin' Image
born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Postby Sapphire » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:47 am

Well...I ate a goat tag 3 years ago... Massive mistakes made by me... I didn't alott enough time..thought is was going to be "easy".. well...in 9 days of hunting I saw an averages of 2 goats a DAY and never saw a mature billy.. the unit had taken a nasty dive the year before...unbeknownst to me.

I also waited until Oct 12 and was hunting at 10,000-11,000 feet (thats our highest stuff)... and it was NASTY...

I'd give my left one, literally (specially since I already have 2 kids) to have that tag back....

Fun, FUN country to hunt though....

E
Sapphire
5X5 Bull

Postby Rick P » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:48 pm

I'm sorry but I have too ask what in the wild world of sports made you think Mountain Goats would be an easy hunt! Here in Alaska they are limitted to terain that would give a Dall sheep a nose bleed. Last year I was the only guy who even signed up to do the november hunt!
Rick P
4X4 Bull

Return to Big Game