One Boar down....

Discuss you Big Game adventures here. Moose, Sheep, Bear, etc.

One Boar down....

Postby Greywolf » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:18 pm

..You remember the Hogs are back thread?......... well they are and ......
I debated which bow to carry tonight. The hogs are back and riders have been seeing them all over the ranch. Then, I remembered how I got to be on this lucky piece of paradise, I control the numbers of hogs there. Or try to at least. After a quick shower, and getting dressed...
I grabbed my bows,pack and camera (yeah,I'm gonna carry the camera this time to see if it's good or bad luck). We shall see...

For a Friday late afternoon there's not many people at the ranch, I slowly drove through and was met by one of the ladies that work there. "Mark, there are hogs all over the place", came the response as I slowed to a halt. by the creek, the field, the big and small riding field and by the creek, they are everywhere in the past few days...

I smiled and said I'll do what I can, she smiled and waived as I drove away. I wish it was as easy as they think, riding up on a hog on a horse is easier than stalking up on them. A hog knows a horse and rider is no threat, but a lone walking upright human figure.... means death.......... and they know it !!

I parked and put my pack on, I have a group of 3 and a large group of 8 or 9 that are now comin in. so I figger, a long second shot might be in order. I reluctantly grabbed the compound. As I made my way to the woods along the pasture they have really torn the area up with the rooting.. BIG Time... Ok maybe I need to do some cage trapping to remove more than one or two. Oh well we'll see.

I stalked into the area, seeing more recent rooting activity got my heart to pumping, would I see a single hog or a couple or a whole group.... yep I'm excited. slowly I made my way to the blind, I tested the air with my powder....Nothing...What? yepp... the powder went straight up and almost straight down........ Darn !!! this is not gonna be good. The scent will just be like a upside down mushroom cloud....... maybe the stands might ba a better place to go?........... no... the hogs are visiting here, after all, a picture is worth a thousand words......and the hogs are hitting here.
I walked around behind the blind and see a large limb fell and caught the top of the zippered window and tore the fabric off like unzipping it but it's a tear that you can see right though the blind front to back...*^$#

I stowed my gear and looking in my pack, in my "things Pouch" yeah, Uh Huh.... Like I got a couple of safety pins in there.... but I'll may....be.... huh... sonofagun... two safety pins! Wonder where they came from? Miracles do happen.
I make a quick repair and slip inside. I readjusted the bucket because I need to sit higher to clear the window with the compound. Longbow just fits nicely with a comfortable chair. I look at my watch 3:40 pm they come in at all hours after 12 noon till dark:30.......... now the wait begins........ and wait...and wait... Ever notice how... a stick that falls out there somewhere,... is a hog? Yeah.... you know... that kinda waiting.

I touch up a couple of the BHs while I'm waitn... got nothing else to do.

Then I hear something.........was it..........maybe........ Then I remembered.... I got the camera......... where is it......oh there it is.....check out what I getta see....

Oh Yeah .... But..... Don't ya hate those buts? seems like I have a couple of those in my story huh?.... He is walking back and forth..... not even coming close to the PIT...... He keeps watching the blind. I was worried he was seeing the huge red light on the front of my camera..... you know the one... the one that looks like a airport beacon !!!

Just then guess what he decides to do?...........

And proceeds to stand right there for at least five minutes just picking up kernnels of corn.... not walking anywhere ... Just standing there.... Ahhhhhh ....come on Hog........ MOVE !!!

Finally, he steps a few steps forward kinda turns.........and stands there, looking directly at the blind...... Oh... I forgot to mention.... Head on !!!! Yepper.... looking directly at me... yep just lookin.... 3 hours, 27 minutes 54 seconds...... well seemed like it anyway... he stood there...

I clipped on my released and was think about hitting him right in the pocket where the neck meets the shoulder and driving it through the heart from front to back......... Uhhhh... Nah... I Pride my myself being a bowhunter and having patience...........BUT this guy is wearing them purty dagon thin !!!!
I lean back and look out the side window to see if any other hogs are coming in from the side the trail camera showed... nope.. all clear...... as I look back......he's standing broadside or slightly quartering. I come to draw, settled my nerves and ........

Knowing it was only 5 O'clock, I drug him over to the edge of the trail and made my way back to the blind..... it's still an Hour before dark, like I said in the video...Maybe two tonight if...I'm lucky......... we'll see.

I made my way back to the blind grabbed my arrow and slipped back inside, I used my water and cleaned the crimson covered arrow, touched the snuffer up (didn't need much) and settled back in for the rest of the evenings hunt.......... Well, guess the message got out that "Harry" had met the bowhunter at the PIT.
Nothing else showed. I stayed till 6 :10, I could stayed later...but after all I do have one hog to butcher.

The hog made it probably 40 yrds and died on a dead run (pardon the pun) I just love it when they run towards the truck to make my drag shorter.

I loaded him up and headed home. I took a couple of pics at the house with the other camera, Mine did shortly after the last video. it won't turn on or take pictures any more... ahhhh shucks....... maybe Santa will see it broke and bring me another one..........I doubt it, but who knows.

I'm by myself so I did the best I could with the pics

He even has the raised bristle razorback look to him

Oh...... and just in case your wondering...... Yepp......

Snufferized the heart !!!

Thanks for coming along, when the numbers go down, I'll which back to a traditional bow. but I was really hoping to get at least two tonight. I even had a brilliant idea.... and had the remote taped to the handle so I could set the feeder off and use the noise to cover my shot, maybe taking two hogs...........you know what they say..... about the best laid plans?

Aloha and Mele Kalikimaka (Merry Christmas)
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: One Boar down....

Postby Okie » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:32 pm

Thanks for sharing Greywolf! That was almost as fun as being there. Well, not really, but if I ever get to Hawaii we gotta go hog huntin. ;)
John Holman
www.bearcreekselfbows.com
Founding Member- Oklahoma Selfbow Society
"Preserving the Heritage of Primitive Archery"
>>>>>>------------------------------------->
Okie
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:38 pm

I'm sure between DW and myself we'll get you into hogs. I'm still trying to get DW on the ranch in a some capacity. ( if he had taken the producers course with me, I coulda got him on as my camera man)
But, we (read he) has a great area we found, at certain times they are crawling all over him while he's trying to scatter corn for them.
Once he gottem coming in, They are hit and miss, just like normal I guess.

Be glad to take ya out huntin when ya get here....... If ya show me how to chase the ring on this hunk of Osage stave I got stashed in the rafters.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:43 pm

Woohoooo!! yeah Mark, that was an awesome story! loved it, nice Boar. Gotta love the razorback bristles on him. Did he have any hooks?
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby TradRag » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:58 am

You had me ducking through the woods with you! Great story, videos, and pics! That is awesome.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby Greywolf » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:09 pm

>>>---DW---> wrote: Did he have any hooks?

Not a Dagon thing ! His gum in that area was so slick I couldn't even snag my laytex glove on the point !!!

Actually none of the hogs I've killed up there had had cutters, the #125 I took in the Pali couple years ago and 1 1/4". there weren't thick. Big Island has hogs with huge cutters.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby eddie c » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:12 pm

You Da Man!!!!!!! 8-) 8-)
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:52 pm

Almost had another one Sunday, had 3-4 come in, wind was almost non existent to light swirling. if that makes sense.
But I got busted and he lives today. Gonna give the PIT a rest, gotta go check the feeders today.

Might even set the camera over there, just to see who is coming to dinner over there.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Firstarrow » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Nice story, Nice photos, I couldn't get the Videos to run.
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.
Firstarrow
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:55 pm

They are photobucket down loads, sometimes it takes a minute or so for them to load.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby kevin12306 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Cool videos!! I love pig huntin!!! I figured all decent boars had cutters.. Learn sumptin new everyday! :D
kevin12306
Raghorn Bull

Return to Big Game