Hog rodeo

Post your stories, pictures and experiences of Big or Small Game harvest.

Hog rodeo

Postby Greywolf » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:02 pm

I wish I had some pictures or a video, but yesterday went to check the trap at the ranch. we have a huge influx of hogs right now, the ranch has no fence so anything can come and go as it pleases.
After putting up a whole house full of rafters yesterday, I was beat. So when Rick ask wanna go check the trap with me? I said yeah sure, but was silently praying all the way it would have small ones or nothing at all.

No such luck ! :? We drove to the big trap location and loaded the big wire trap as I need to do some welding where a hog tried to install a side door.... we got it loaded with no problem and drove up to the chain link trap.
As we approached the trap located in the elephant grass we saw the door was closed.... well could be empty if the hog bumped the door and it closed before it was suppose to... that's happen bef.........nope there was a #70 boar and he wasn't happy about his accommodations. He charged the trap and it seemed to move about an inch...Oh boy. well I think we should shoot it !!! Rick said well I'm too tired to clean it so lets call our friend and see if he wants it..

Great Idea, we make the call, Heck yeah I'll take it I'll be right there!! 20 minutes later he rolls up. hog box in the truck he's smiling... I said yeah, he is now till he sees it !!! Oh **** was his first words , I smiled and said.... yeah!!
He is a very out going person so he said use your Pole snare and snare his head.... No problem !! I leaned over the top of the topless trap and bingo, first shot the cable slid all the way over his head and past the ears..Zip the pole snare went tight...... it was about now that all heck broke loose and we quickly discovered our guestimate of the weight was off by about #20 he 90 easy !!! and he let us know it
After 3 minutes of holly terror, Tiva busted through the door and grabbed his hind legs, wheel barrow style, what now he yelled? Flip him on his side, after 2-3 attempts he finally went over I said put your foot on his neck, now we have a hog snared and laying sideways in the trap. I went in under the rail and grabbed the snout, I said if he can't bite, all he can do it wiggle.

We have the snare in place, we struggled to get the now really POed hog over to the door, Yes, You would be laughing at the fluster cluck that was occurring in the trap. we passed the snare pole through the door, I had the snout and the lower front leg and we made it out the door, and we were heading towards the truck, hog squirming twisting and do moves I never knew was possible by a 4 legged animal !!!

We did the 1-2-3 heave hoe and up the hog was going toward the box ..... it was about right now we discovered we didn't quite have enough heave to make the top of the transport box.....luckily rick dropped the snare pole and darted between Tiva and myself and with one push, the hog finally cleared the top of the box and his head dropped into the opening. Tiva jumped on the bumper and laid across the opening till I got the lid in the slide grooves and slid it closed !!

We all looked at each other like.... We should of shot him !!! Then we all smiled and gave some high fives,, another one off the ranch !
Well, it seemed like we could do it at the time.... and we did... just a little more hog than we expected !!!!
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Hog rodeo

Postby eddie c » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:54 pm

:rolf:
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby FullDraw » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:23 pm

Sure wish there was a video of this!!!! :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:
N.E. Representative Oklahoma Selfbow Society (OSS)
Member - Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Member - NWTF - Eastern Oklahoma County Strutters
Life member NRA
U.S. Army - Vietnam Veteran
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, ... Proverbs 1:7a
FullDraw
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Sneakon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:29 am

Ha!...and why was it that you didn't just shoot him to begin with?
"The habits of a vigorous mind are formed in contending with difficulties." Abigail Adams

Sneakon
Sneakon
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:49 am

It was date night with my wife and if I called and said, Hi dear we have a hog to butcher so we can't go out... Well, lets just say ..... that was one call I didn't want to make :rolf:
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Olschool » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:35 pm

FullDraw wrote:Sure wish there was a video of this!!!! :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

Yeppers!
Olschool
5X5 Bull

Return to Other Hunting | Big and Small | Hogs