Hog Control - Hunting in the City Limits

Post your stories, pictures and experiences of Big or Small Game harvest.

Hog Control - Hunting in the City Limits

Postby Bounty Hunter » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:50 am

I've been doing some hog control in a neighbor within a city limits for the past month or so. There is a wooded strip of land with drainage ditch between two subdivisions which is city property that they have let me setup in. Have a feeder and tripod stand setup and to date I've killed one, shot one that wasn't recovered and missed once. So I haven't reduced their numbers a lot, but they haven't been getting in the peoples yards like they once were. There were some guys trapping them last year that did pretty good, but now the hogs are too smart and won't go in the traps. Wish they would let me setup a couple of stands and get a few buddies over to help out. I think we would be more effective in reducing their numbers.

The kicker is, right after kill the one on new years day the city made me move my setup. Said it was in the way of their mowers, doesn't look like it has been mowed in 10 years........ :roll: So I moved everything weekend before last and it may turn out to be a good deal after all as I went and checked things out yesterday and filled the feeder. The hogs have found the corn and it looks like there might be even more coming in to this new location than the old one. The new location is in a small clear spot with 3 intersecting trails leading into/out of it. It is also a little more secluded than the first spot so maybe the hogs won't be as jumpy as they were when they came in before. Now the key is to figure out when they are showing up at the feeder. I had them timed pretty good at the old locations, I'm hoping the are going to be hitting the new one about the same time. That way I don't have to sit in the tripod half the night to get a shot...... ;) I'll let you folks know how it is going.
If you can dream it, I can make the arrows of your dreams a reality!
bhtamail@verzion.net
Bounty Hunter
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: Hog Control - Hunting in the City Limits

Postby LiliaJhon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:43 pm

These hog control system is really good, you shouldn't kill the rare animals or species for just make some fun, we should know and understands these limits for the wellness of their wildlife.
Live and let live.
LiliaJhon
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:57 pm

dig a hole and put in some wild bird seed under the feeder they will come in at all times. they love wild bird seed. that's my secret stuff so don't tell anyone else.... :applaud:
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:11 pm

LiliaJhon wrote:These hog control system is really good, you shouldn't kill the rare animals or species for just make some fun, we should know and understands these limits for the wellness of their wildlife.

What rare animals are you referring to? Texas, Kalifornia , Florida and Hawaii are 4 examples of states with out of control Hog populations. and a few more states are being ready to be added to the list
We don't kill for fun! No one here kills for fun, just understand that. Game has to be managed to keep their numbers from over populating. with the development of man and his need for housing, we have depleted some of the habitat. They make change same as we do, sometimes they adapt better than we do.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:56 pm

Perez Turner wrote:Your tricks and hog control system is appreciable. I also appreciate to your knowledge and skills to well manage it. You need more concentration and knowledge to improve this efficiency level.

It's about as improved as it can get. I've taken hogs from property within 50 feet of a house. No one knew I was there or the fact I removed 6 hogs. I'd say ya can't improve on that much more.
I've tried the flute, to get them to follow me and lead them away. I've had zero luck with that option.

I'd say the problem is more with the attitude of people. When a builder clears a property of trees, weeds and brush along a wooded area (1/2 acre or 12 acres no matter) then build a house in the animals back yard,
I feel it's wrong for people to say there are hogs in "MY" back yard, it' should be said "There are humans living in the hogs back yard".

Allot of times, I have people tell me, "I don't want you to kill them, just get rid of them" I guess make them someone else's problem? not in my back yard? it's a fine line and balancing act.

I feel I'm very proficient at my removal technics

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Return to Other Hunting | Big and Small | Hogs