Heading for Texas Again----We're Back

Post your stories, pictures and experiences of Big or Small Game harvest.

Heading for Texas Again----We're Back

Postby Aeronut » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:30 pm

Four more days and we are heading for west Texas again on the hunt for hogs. Here is a short video of the trip last December when we just about froze.

When the daytime temps are just above freezing you don't waste time lighting the woodstove. No kindling needed.

Temps this year are forecast to be in the 70's, low in the 40's

Dennis

Trav is headed there with me.
Last edited by Aeronut on Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: Heading for Texas Again

Postby Newkirk Jerry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:18 pm

You guy's would have fit right in when the only heat we had was a wood stove. 34 degrees or 134 degrees in a 12x16 cabin. Warm Morning propane stove gets the nod these days. Age does bring some wisdom. See you in a few more weeks. Good luck with the hogs and a KS deer or two with Trav.
Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:32 am

Good luck on the trip, 70-40s temp range should start them moving. might get into some prerut pushing and shoving.

Hope ya drop one with Trav
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Aeronut » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:02 pm

Wish us luck. We are headed south-by-southwest tomorrow morning. Hope to have some hero shots to post this year.

Dennis
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Olschool » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Go get them Dennis, wish I had the weekend off and could get out to see you
David
Olschool
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:59 am

Dennis did ya walk down there? figger we'd hear something by now.....

We're waiting !!!!

Oh and if there are no pichures, it never happened !!! :rolf:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby TradRag » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:28 am

Maybe the 'no kindling' fire starter got them! Kids... DO NOT ATTEMPT AT HOME!!! That was awesome!

:archer2: must have pics. Knowing Dennis we will get a video or side show. Can't wait.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby Aeronut » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:46 pm

Just got home from Texas a little while ago. Had a blast with my cousins but the hogs won again this year. I was the only one to see a hog again this year.

Gotta bunch of stuff to unpack and get put up. We left Aspermont at 4am this morning and I am bushed. Got lots of pictures as usual, just have to sort through them and I will post some when I get a chance.

Didn't need the flame-thrower this year. Highs in the 70's and lows in the 40's.

Dennis
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:11 pm

OK, I got some of the pictures loaded up.

Temperatures were just the opposite of what we had last year. Instead of highs in the 30's they were in the upper 70's and my sinuses were screwed up from the get-go. This is part of the reason. The Cedar pollen was really thick along with all the dust.

We got to camp about an hour before dark and got unloaded and limbered up the bows for some target practice. Trav got a good workout flingin' arrows all week. If you look close you can see the shadow of the arrows in flight in most of the pictures.

Me shooting Trav.
Jim
Carl is a very good compound shooter and the last day we were there he decided to give it a try. He had made several comments after some of our shots like, "You guys make me sick, I wouldn't even hit the bag with one of those bows". My favorite was. "You guys keep saying your fingers hurt from so much shooting and then you shoot some more". :D This is his first time shooting a traditional bowand he did quite well at it. He shot better than he thought he would. :applaud:

One camp chore is the official moving of the outhouse.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:16 pm

Scott had made up some soured corn for bait in the traps. There was about a third of a barrel left and we took it out to dump it at some bait sites. Here we load it up.

I am following at a safe distance.

Dumping a batch at the pond. Jim is trying hard not to gag. The smell is undescribably horrid.

Baiting traps.

Heading into the canyon.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:18 pm

The first morning out I was hunting in the canyon. I was set up at a feeder and soon found out the blind I was in was lit very well by the morning sun. I picked another spot close by and made a note to bring some clippers and set up in a shadier spot. I sat in this area three times and saw a bunch of birds and one rabbit.

Jim said the first morning a rabbit came tearing through the brush being chased by a bobcat and ran into one leg of a tripod stand he was in. He must have been looking over his shoulder instead of where he was going. :shock:

Hog sign was everywhere and whenever we headed back to camp there were fresh tracks in the road on tip of our tire tracks.

We switched spots occasionally but nobody was able to see a hog much less shoot at one.
Carl spotted one of the biggest bucks he had ever seen from one of the box blinds and Scott was glad to hear that. Deer sightings were scarce and the season was open for him.

Back at camp after the morning hunts we had sausage and egg burritos, bacon & eggs, and such. Life is rough in hunting camp.
Scott frying bacon in what he calls his 'Hillbilly Wok'.
Image.

Dinner was Smoked Brisket & fried taters, a shrimp boil, Sonoran Hot Dogs, Beer-can chicken, steak fajitas....

Sonoran hot dogs are hotdogs wrapped with a strip of bacon and then deep fried. Then you cover it with chili, onions, & whatever else you think your belly can stand up to. Mighty fine eating.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:30 pm

We hunted morning and evening every day. Since the hogs were traveling the roads after someone had driven by in the mornings I decided to watch one of the trails that crossed the road. The brush is very thick and I followed one trail back about 100 yards and came to an impenetrable wall of stickery brush with a tunnel going through it. I went back and rigged a ground blind to watch the trail from.
No sightings on this stand for two sessions.

Everywhere you look there is something that will stick, scratch, bite, or sting you. If sand burs were a penny a bushel Scott could make a lot of money. We were constantly picking them out of our pant legs and shoe laces.

When it warmed up the yellow jackets were everywherelooking for someplace to get into to keep warm. You had to shake out your bed rolls and clothes all the time. In the mornings you would sometimes shake one or two out of your boots.

And of course there is cactus everywhere too.

I made a short walk through part of the canyon while I was down there too.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:46 pm

The last day of hunting I decided to go sit in a ladder stand down by the pond. There was a lot of sign there where the hogs had a waller and tracks were everywhere.

'Trav' enjoyed the view too.

Shortly after 7am I heard brush crunching to the southeast (I was facing east). After following the crunching and cracking I spotted a buck going through the brush across the fence on the neighbors property. Noise discipline is not high on their list of priorities here.

I heard more brush cracking to the southeast and soon spotted a black shape by the spring feeding the pond. I got ready for a possible shot with my pistol if it was a hog and he followed the trail on the other side of the pond. It turned out to be one of the neighbors cows making a lot of noise.

The cow finally quietd down and at 7:20 I heard two grunts of to my left and then heard a noise behind me. Turning to look I spotted a large black pig coming down the trail that would pass directly behind me and into my shooting lane. The hog got behind my tree and I was thinking nothing could be more perfect. That is when the friggin' cow decided it was time to move. CRACK, CRUNCH, SNAP! Last thing I see is the east end of a west bound high speed hog. I really wanted to kill a cow at that point.

The trail.
Last edited by Aeronut on Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:13 pm

Jim and I had earlier decided that I would hunt the pond that morning and he would hunt it that afternoon so I went over to a blind I hadn't been in yet. I named this Chateau Roger. Scotts friend Roger had set this box blind on a rise overlooking a good area they had set up a couple of feeders in.

This is the view from the box blind. The ground blind is to the left of the left feeder in this picture.

I saw six deer there. Three does came out of the brush between the feeders and stood looking at me from about 40 yards away. They were directly down wind. I saw another doe later and got my camera out and got a short video of her two fawns. The feeder went off and a little later about a dozen turkeys came charging in and made short work of the corn. One was less that ten feet from the front of my blind and I couldn't get my camera without them seeing me. They then wandered off to my right.

I sat there until dark without seeing any other game and watched the sky get tinged with red from the sunset. I heard the coyotes singing and one was just a little ways off to my northwest. I was hoping he would come in but never saw him.

So ended our hog hunt of 2010. Nobody else saw a hog on this trip but we all enjoyed ourselves very much. Maybe next time.

Dennis
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:27 pm

Yep, still looks the same as the last time I was in Texas. sounds like it was a good time even though no animals were harmed duiring the trip.

Glad you and Trav had a great time, some of the best hunting campfires are were, when nothing was killed, but the memories last for ever.

But the again, there was the time we got the newbe to stick his finger in the deers butt to check for a heart shot..... True story....!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Heading for Texas Again----We're Back

Postby Aeronut » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:50 pm

I believe Trav has gotten another compound shooter to think about getting a stickbow. That was a good move when Carl decided to give it a try. He was more afraid of losing our arrows than anything so I got the Flu-Flu's out again and he started shooting and then switched to target arrows.

Dennis

Was it a Texas heart shot??
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: Heading for Texas Again----We're Back

Postby Greywolf » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:18 pm

Aeronut wrote:I

Was it a Texas heart shot??

Nope, tight behind the shoulder and 3- 4 inches up, a true heart shot. he couldn't feel the "lump" with one finger, so he used two fingers to check..... he earned the new handle of "Twofinger" after that.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Return to Other Hunting | Big and Small | Hogs