Aoudad Sheep

Post your stories, pictures and experiences of Big or Small Game harvest.

Aoudad Sheep

Postby TradRag » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:06 pm

Has anyone taken an Aoudad with traditional gear? I hear their they are tough chase and climb straight up.

Just curious.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Re: Aoudad Sheep

Postby Newkirk Jerry » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:41 pm

Bet they can't go very high in Texas, that's where I've seen them advertised. What is there "natural" environment? Good looking animal to chase, I want one in a European mount.
Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:47 am

They are from Africa..to the best of my knowledge. They are tough critters. There is a couple of public hunting lands in Texas where they run wild.(or escaped from a ranch)

Even at a ranch they are tough to get up on.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Ironwood » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:27 am

We have Aoudad in several parts of Texas. There are several draw hunts for them every year. Of course your chance of getting drawn is pretty slim. I've been putting in for the hunt at Caprock Canyon State Park for several years. Caprock Canyon is part of the Palo Duro Canyon system which is the second largest canyon in the US after the Grand Canyon. Some draw hunts will be conducted in the Palo Duro Canyon State Park this year also.

There are also lots of Aoudad down on the Edwards Plateau of South Texas. Most of that part of Texas is all private ranches. I saw 17 Aoudad jump over a 4 strand barbwire cross fence one after the other. Like you expect to see sheep do. :D

This is a shot taken down in the Palo Duro Canyon, Aoudad Country.

Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago
Ironwood
Spike Bull

Postby Outdoor Success » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:12 pm

I agree I would love to hunt one!!!! and from what I've been told great table eats as well!!
Owner / Operator of Outdoor Success Calls and Scents
Staff shooter for St. Joe River Bows
It's not the size of the game harvested. It's about the time spent inside Yourself, and with freinds and family in the out of doors. Oh yea and fresh backstraps!
Outdoor Success
4X4 Bull

Postby JMartin » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:12 am

We hunted them in Texas hill country one time years ago. Probably in the late 70's. Low fence, free range. We didn't really know what they were, never heard of 'em. After half a day of trying to slip up on the dang things, and getting busted every time, my buddy said they should rename the things Awwman, instead of Aoudad, because every time we got to where we thought they should be.....we would look, and they would be 300 yards away staring at us. I would say "aww man...not again" Never even got close, we were young and inexperienced, but we had a lot fun.
JMartin
4X4 Bull

Return to Other Hunting | Big and Small | Hogs