6 in one shot...

Post your stories, pictures and experiences of Big or Small Game harvest.

6 in one shot...

Postby Greywolf » Sat May 15, 2010 8:19 pm

I know what you thought..... But no, it was a trap catch. I do a lot of Damage control for hogs. Gets me onto some prime private ranches. Either bowhunting or trapping I'm there !!!! :dance:
Got a call from a lady that lives across from the ranch. She has pigs tearin up her yard, eating the Taro plants, diggin the newly planted grass and just reekin havoc everywhere.
She walked us around the property and showed us the boundaries,(the 8 foot high rock that ran 2/3rds of the way was a huge clue) But the chain link was the weak link(pardon the pun)on the property.

We found a nice flat area and set up the trap, we baited up to the trap with corn and set the trigger for heavy trip.
The first evening was a bust. She said they were in the yard, but not in the trap.
I explained it was a new thing in the old familiar surroundings and it might take a day or two, then it would catch. Yesterday morning my phone rings............."Mark, there are 5 big hogs in the trap and they are ramming the sides "I said, well walk away they are scared of you.... Oh... came the response.....Hello....Duh....

We managed to work most of the day, but kept wondering how big..BIG was? It finally got the best of us, a broken belt on the bobcat sealed the rest of the day.
We walked up and peered over the brush line in to the trap...1..2..3..4..5..6.. Uh What? thought there were 5 the smallest was bout #20 and the big 3 were about #40-#45 maybe the rest were in the middle weight wise.
A quick phone call to the Tahitian tree trimmers brought them in a hurry. They had a huge dog kennel and a couple of 55 gal waste cans with handles and wooden lids.
The owner had a friend there who wanted to see the "Little Piggies" So I said "grab a camera and lets go the Rodeo"! I grabbed the snare on a stick and grabbed the first hog that ran in, a #35 hog good practice. I lifted the POed squealing hog over the fence of the trap, both women were quickly beating a hasty retreat in reverse as the hog cleared the fence.

They snapped pictures and and shot some video and was generally amazed at the ease the whole thing was goin. all 6 were removed with little or no trouble. I like days like that... and No there isn't a "but" or a "Until" to the story.
This morning my phone rang again, Mark, There's one more in the trap.

He too was removed and has a invitation to to a birthday party in July, where he will be the main cours....err... feature at the party.

Not bad we did a count yesterday and I believe 21 in 2 months has been through the door of the trap.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: 6 in one shot...

Postby eddie c » Sun May 16, 2010 7:08 am

8-)

main feature at a party. :rolf:
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Newkirk Jerry » Sun May 16, 2010 6:33 pm

Welcome to dinner, how may we serve you? ;)
Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Postby Jesse Minish » Mon May 17, 2010 11:52 am

Sounds fun! I sure wish I could have found some of those pigs when I was over there.
Jesse Minish
4X4 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Wed May 26, 2010 7:15 am

C'mon Mark. All the picture takin' you talked about and none posted for us to see??

Sounds like a good trapline location.

Dennis
Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed May 26, 2010 11:50 am

I'll admit I been a bit lax about getting pictures, my kodak camera went on the fritz, and the Alpha Female would get really upset when I would take her nikon out with me.
So I went to Cameapart (kmart) and bought a small camrea just to keep in my truck and pack, I was trying it out on Monday evening while doin a flemish string build a long, we'll see how well it take pics real soon.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby LiliaJhon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:45 pm

I don't believe this is it really true you guys have 6 in one shot because these things are very rare i think you have some great skills or the luck is on your side.
Live and let live.
LiliaJhon
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:54 pm

LiliaJhon wrote:I don't believe this is it really true you guys have 6 in one shot because these things are very rare i think you have some great skills or the luck is on your side.

6 in one shot is in reference to the trap. I built a hog trap that is a keep catching type trap. it's got a door that ok wait let me see if I can get a picture since Aeronut has been bustin my chops about pictures :rolf:

See how I set the door inside? this allows the hog to push on the plywood and walk in and the spring on the top just gentle pulls the door closed behind them. I checked it one day and had a sow in heat in the trap, she was about #125, so I hiked back to the truck to call rick and get the rifle, but the time rick arrived 20 minutes later and we got back to the trap, a boar had gotten inside with her and was trying to breed her.

Also when we set a trap like this we put a modified feeder over the trap, it just showers corn down inside the trap and not throw is all over, so they hear the feeder and when they come all the hogs on the inside are eating and they push their way in to get some corn. I've had as many as 9 in the trap at once.

Best I've done with one shot was 2 deer, and yes 2 hogs in this trap even though I try not to do that.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Sneakon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Nice job Mark.
"The habits of a vigorous mind are formed in contending with difficulties." Abigail Adams

Sneakon
Sneakon
4X4 Bull

Return to Other Hunting | Big and Small | Hogs